WTF Don't I Know About This Record??

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Picked this up on my trip to Kansas last week for a few bucks.....figured it was a $15-$20 record....obviously there is something about this record I don't know about.....can any one edumacate me plaese.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=370160851360

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Probably some tenuous connection to either Gene Simmons or KISS.

• ill never understand the calypso game...Ive had records ive seen go for loot one week, Ill put mine up and no one will bid. Maybe a case of calypso dudes only bid on stuff from certain sellers? 2 completists having a war over the one title they are missing? who knows.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    argh you come to my state and take all the valuable records and then rub it in my face

whered you come across this ?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    argh you come to my state and take all the valuable records and then rub it in my face

whered you come across this ?

Antique Mall in Wellington just North of the Okie border.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    good, you didnt make it up far enough north to INFRINGE

:P

good, you didnt make it up far enough north to INFRINGE

:P

Only went as far north as Wichita......but this summer I'm coming to clean out your flat ass state.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    at least i have a timeframe, so i can plan accordingly before the record apocalypse.

at least i have a timeframe, so i can plan accordingly before the record apocalypse.

Well...I'll probably by-pass K.C.......not much there unless I get a lead.

The main focus will be Nebraska and Iowa and maybe a couple of the smaller towns in Kansas like Lawrence and Topeka.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    dont bother hitting up lawrence, no records there

dont bother hitting up lawrence, no records there

Been there a few times....and I'm deathly allergic to cats.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I just found out about a style of music called "mento" that I guess is like calypso except the dudes play tenor banjos. or something like that. all i know is that it was island music and dude was playing the tenor banjo. and something about mentos.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    rockadelic repellent, nice.....

• Mento is very similar to early calypso and was most popular in the 1950s, I believe.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Mento is very similar to early calypso and was most popular in the 1950s, I believe.

I don't know much about it, but I did watch a video that somebody had posted on the banjo forum and it sounded good to me. mostly I was just amazed to see my banjo performing music that I had no idea it was associated with. Usually people just do 20s and 30s pop and jazz with the tenor. so to see it playing something totally different was a trip.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    This is a cool album I recently heard (Mento related):

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

The main focus will be Nebraska and Iowa and maybe a couple of the smaller towns in Kansas like Lawrence and Topeka.

Know where your heading to in Iowa? Ever been here before?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Im pretty sure I saw that record cover pop up in either Deep Crates 2 or King of the Beats 2...or one of the recent digging docos.

The cover and the name stand out.

Know where your heading to in Iowa? Ever been here before?

Been there years ago....one of my biggest scores ever was in Decorah up in the northeast corner....haven't really planned the trip out yet but I know Kanesville is on the list.

Will be looking for everything from Metal to Mento.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    "Cuts include....You Don't Love Me"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Mento is very similar to early calypso and was most popular in the 1950s, I believe.

I don't know much about it, but I did watch a video that somebody had posted on the banjo forum and it sounded good to me. mostly I was just amazed to see my banjo performing music that I had no idea it was associated with. Usually people just do 20s and 30s pop and jazz with the tenor. so to see it playing something totally different was a trip.

This 10" record used to be easy to find.

There is a great song with this refrain:
    My name is Morgan
    But it's not JP
    I don't own no
    Railroad company

Great record.

For the Beach Boy fans:

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Neat song. Try counting along with it... there are some extra beats in some of the measures there that throw you off... like its in 4/4 but switches to 6/4 for a measure or 2 and then right back. And the band seems to have no problem with that.

Interesting.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    why can I never embed anything?

I just quoted you and it still didn't work.

weird.

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    2:54 of this video

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    Picked this up on my trip to Kansas last week for a few bucks.....figured it was a $15-$20 record....obviously there is something about this record I don't know about.....can any one edumacate me plaese.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=370160851360

hmm... I've had a copy of this for a couple of years now, not really my thing.

to the ebay???

• It's kinda popular with the Japanese Crowd--"Suburbia" scene... Toru Hashimoto, Cubismo Grafico, Shibuya-kei type of dudes.

There's also a version with this cover?