Thanks eBay, you're awesome

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I've found a few Diesel shirts recently on eBay for super cheap. They're all from Thailand, so I'm sure they're not "official" but they seem like good quality. I figure they're probably factory rejects of some sort, but whatever.Now TWICE I've bought and paid for a shirt, only to have eBay remove the listing AFTER I ALREADY PAID FOR IT.WHAT. THE. F*ck.Thanks eBay.. you are indeed awesome.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    They might actually be official, considering a lot of designer clothes are made in Thailand. They could be factory seconds or may have simply fallen off the back of a truck.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    no.
    most high end retail/designer clothes may be made in that region, but if the clothes have any faults they are destroyed upon discovery, if they miss a fault at manufacture then they go to the retailers own factory outlet. other wise people would just buy the seconds off of ebay for 1 fifth of the price

• akaaka 67 Posts
    I had this happen with a new laptop battery from China once -- I just filed a chargeback on PayPal saying the listing was removed after I paid, wound up getting a refund no problem.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    They might actually be official, considering a lot of designer clothes are made in Thailand. They could be factory seconds or may have simply fallen off the back of a truck.

Yeah I don't think they're counterfeits.. the quality is too good and they match perfectly with stuff I've seen for 6x the price in Diesel stores.

Anyway.. I still can't wrap my head around why eBay would remove a listing after its already ended and been paid for. Trying to cover their own ass maybe?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Yeah I don't think they're counterfeits.. the quality is too good and they match perfectly with stuff I've seen for 6x the price in Diesel stores.

Anyway.. I still can't wrap my head around why eBay would remove a listing after its already ended and been paid for. Trying to cover their own ass maybe?

I used to do luggage repair for the airlines.
    We saw tons of fake Louis Vitton's.
    Often the fakes were of better quality than the real deal.

• They might actually be official, considering a lot of designer clothes are made in Thailand. They could be factory seconds or may have simply fallen off the back of a truck.

if you haven't received the product, how are you evaluating the quality? through the pictures on ebay?

• no.
    most high end retail/designer clothes may be made in that region, but if the clothes have any faults they are destroyed upon discovery, if they miss a fault at manufacture then they go to the retailers own factory outlet. other wise people would just buy the seconds off of ebay for 1 fifth of the price

Depending on your definition of "designer" I would say that your explanation is overly simplified. There are tons of stores that sell irregular name brand and designer clothes. Gabriel Brothers in the Midwest used to almost exclusively sell mis-stitched, crooked, stained, ripped, mis-screened, scraped, scratched, mis-dyed, mis-labeled name brand clothes, shoes, and the like. I never understood who would buy racks of down coats with multiple holes in them and the down spilling out, but I guess someone did.

They've significantly stepped up the quality of their goods in the last 15 years, but they still sell jeans (etc.) that are stamped irregular and have other issues, but these days the majority of their goods are visibly fine.

Moral of the story is that lots of quote-designer-unquote brands wholesale their seconds to all sorts of companies. Do they give them to Vietnamese guys to undercut their own prices with? I'm sure they don't. But to by default rule out that the clothes are seconds because designer clothes companies don't do that doesn't make any sense.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

if you haven't received the product, how are you evaluating the quality? through the pictures on ebay?

I've ordered and received 5 or 6 in different styles already. I'm pretty sure they've been from the same source, even though the seller IDs were different. Same listing style, language, etc.