Touch & Go's not doin so hot these days

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
this gets the sadface.can't remember what blog i saw this on yesterday, but they linked this pitchfork articlehttp://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/ne...wn-distribution
UPDATE: Touch and Go has clarified the information it gave to Pitchfork. We were originally told that the label will no longer be releasing new music. However, the label has since clarified that it hopes to once again release new music at some point in the future, once the dust has settled from the restructuring brought about by the shuttering of its distribution arm.It's a very, very sad day for indie rock. One of America's foremost independent record labels, Touch and Go Records, has announced that they will no longer release new music.They have also shuttered their distribution arm, which manufactured and brought to market releases for labels like Merge, Kill Rock Stars, Drag City, Suicide Squeeze, Flameshovel, Jade Tree, and Post Present Medium.From Big Black and Shellac to Butthole Surfers and the Jesus Lizard, from Dirty Three and Pinback to Ted Leo and TV on the Radio, from Calexico to the Mekons to Slint, Touch and Go nurtured the careers of so many bands that served as backbones for indie rock. They even boasted a promising crop of new bands, with recent releases from Crystal Antlers, Mi Ami, All the Saints, and Sholi.Crystal Antlers' Tentacles, slated for release on April 7, will still come out. They also plan to go through with a series of Jesus Lizard reissues in August, as well as a Jesus Lizard 7" box set release for Record Store Day.A statement from the label concluded, "It is the end of a grand chapter in Touch and Go's history, but we also know that good things can come from new beginnings."It's impossible to calculate the importance Touch and Go had to the rock'n'roll landscape of the past three decades. Back in 2006, when the label celebrated its 25th anniversary, Pitchfork published a few features about the label's history. Read those now for just a small taste of what this remarkable institution accomplished: * Twenty-five essential Touch and Go albums * Photos from the Touch and Go 25 Festival * Video from the Touch and Go 25 Festival * Interview with Touch and Go founder Corey Rusk

Comments

• i was pretty surprised by this. i figured that it'd be doing pretty good off back-catalog alone. but then again, i'm old and don't have a story about the first time i downloaded "songs about f*cking."

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    So does this mean that there isn't going to be a second pressing of Dear Science? If so expect prices to skyrocket.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    i was pretty surprised by this. i figured that it'd be doing pretty good off back-catalog alone. but then again, i'm old and don't have a story about the first time i downloaded "songs about f*cking."

I do. It goes a little something like this:

I decided I wanted to listen to Songs About f*cking on my iPod one day, so I downloaded it.

Not exactly Proust, but a true story nonetheless.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    So does this mean that there isn't going to be a second pressing of Dear Science? If so expect prices to skyrocket.
    tvotr is on 4ad/dgc

only their first ep was on touch and go

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Ok. Thanks for clarifying.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    tvotr is on 4ad/dgc

only their first ep was on touch and go

First LP was on T&G as well.