questions: clipse/nyc latin/loko one/pot pourri

jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Hi. I have a few small questions, all of which have been nagging me, but none of which deserves its own thread:-- Is there any truth to my vague memory of reading somewhere that there was a super-exclusive vinyl version of Lord Willin' with a separate all-the-versions twelve-inch for every track (a la that Beatclub box for whatever Bubba Sparxx album that was)? Am I remembering right? I ask because 1) I just the other day stumbled upon my twelve-inch for fucking "Virginia," and if not for such a set as previously described, I can think of no other reason why a twelve-inch of this song would possibly exist. And 2) the instrumental for "Ego" would definitely make one of my numerous sub-ciphers complete.-- Hey, who's the 1970s NYC Latin dude who did the cover of "Fencewalk"? Something like Paul Ramos or Raul somebody. It's a 45 with a yellow label, and I know I know it, and it's making me nuts.-- Loko One: A minute ago, you had an avatar made up of a bunch of letters from various rap records. I knew all of them but the "T." What was that shit?-- I need audio for the Lil' Cricket jingle (the "I could almost / eat a donkey" one). Can one of my down-South dudes help me out? -- Tambourines in the workplace: Yay or nay?Thanks in advance for any help.James

Comments

• I don't recall a Clipse Lord Willin' box (not that it wouldn't righteously rule if it did in fact exist) but "Virginia" was the lead-off tune on one of their videos from that record. Maybe they did a limited 12" as DJs were still buying vinyl back then...

• there was a box set for lord willin, i remember hiphopsite had it for sale at one time.
    heres a couple of links that reference it:
    http://www.djanonymous.fi/2008/05/lord-willin-instrumentals.html
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/clipse/lord_willin_vinyl_sampler__8x12_/

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

-- Tambourines in the workplace: Yay or nay?

Nay.

And

The place I play records at also has bands so sometimes there are instruments here and there, instruments like tambourines. The place already has a piano in the place and in the six years, only one time did I nearly shut the lid on someone's fingers because they wouldn't quit playing along even though he was very nicely asked to stop a few times. Anyway, a couple of years ago, there was a tambourine lying around the place and no one bothered with it until one night a drunk gal picked it up. Of course, as is almost always the case when some fool wants to play long with the DJ, she was not in time and hardly complementing the record. I asked her to stop "This is not an interactive night." and she just looked at me blankly and stopped. I got back to the turntables and she started again. Some folks yelled STOP! a few times and still the tambourine shook on. Finally - lol - my friend G who is not known for his patience or good temper strode up to her, took the thing out of her hands and handed it to me. She came and asked for it. No. She tried to grab it from where I put it by my cases. Hell No. I hid it every time I saw it after that until one night it was gone for good.

• -- Tambourines in the workplace: Yay or nay?

Nay.

And

The place I play records at also has bands so sometimes there are instruments here and there, instruments like tambourines. The place already has a piano in the place and in the six years, only one time did I nearly shut the lid on someone's fingers because they wouldn't quit playing along even though he was asked to stop a few times very nicely. Anyway, a couple of years ago, there was a tambourine lying around the place and no one bothered with it until one night a drunk gal picked it up. Of course, as is almost always the case when some fool wants to play long with the DJ, she was not in time and hardly complementing the record. I asked her to stop "This is not an interactive night." and she just looked at me blankly and stopped. I got back to the turntables and she started again. Some folks yelled STOP! a few times and still the tambourine shook on. Finally - lol - my friend G who is not known for his patience or good temper strode up to her, took the thing out of her hands and handed it to me. She came and asked for it. No. She tried to grab it from where I put it by my cases. Hell No. I hid it every time I saw it after that until one night it was gone for good.

Ahhh piano!!!! bitd I held down friday nights for a few years at a popular club in Philly which was designed to look like a 1930's apartment complete with piano. Some drunk wizard would always pop that thing open and play along and by play along i mean they would attempt to bash on that shit to the beat with no skills or rhythm just like you said....god it was always the same type though that was what was weird, a drunk, brown haired skinny dude with glasses, often wearing a shirt of a deeep forest green....!!! every time!!! i closed that piano lid on many a knuckleheads knuckles before passing that night on to cosmo and then low budget.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Nay.

And

The place I play records at also has bands so sometimes there are instruments here and there, instruments like tambourines. The place already has a piano in the place and in the six years, only one time did I nearly shut the lid on someone's fingers because they wouldn't quit playing along even though he was very nicely asked to stop a few times. Anyway, a couple of years ago, there was a tambourine lying around the place and no one bothered with it until one night a drunk gal picked it up. Of course, as is almost always the case when some fool wants to play long with the DJ, she was not in time and hardly complementing the record. I asked her to stop "This is not an interactive night." and she just looked at me blankly and stopped. I got back to the turntables and she started again. Some folks yelled STOP! a few times and still the tambourine shook on. Finally - lol - my friend G who is not known for his patience or good temper strode up to her, took the thing out of her hands and handed it to me. She came and asked for it. No. She tried to grab it from where I put it by my cases. Hell No. I hid it every time I saw it after that until one night it was gone for good.

The best part of this story is you acting as the custodian for the house tambourine. I also like that she then came and asked you for it back, as if reclaiming an unjustly towed car.

Actually, I feel that more places of business should have house tambourines, to be handled in the manner of bathroom keys or listening-station needles: "Hey can I get the tambourine?" "Yeah, but you'll need to leave, like, some ID or something. You can have it back when you return the tambourine." Either that, or you'd have to attach to it some sort of unwieldy something so folks don't just forget and walk off with it. Perhaps you could chain it to a second tambourine.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Is this an open thread?

If so, I also have a question:

Where your bowse at?

there was a box set for lord willin, i remember hiphopsite had it for sale at one time.
    heres a couple of links that reference it:
    http://www.djanonymous.fi/2008/05/lord-willin-instrumentals.html
    http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/clipse/lord_willin_vinyl_sampler__8x12_/

Dang, I need to get my google up. Thanks.

But let me get this straight: Amidst those eight (eight!) full-sized double-sided pieces of vinyl, there is not an "Ego" instrumental, but there is a Jermaine Dupri acapella? Twice? Cot damn, indeed.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Not sure about in the workplace, but tambourines in the right hands can be very dynamic...

• -- Tambourines in the workplace: Yay or nay?

Not sure about in the workplace, but tambourines in the right hands can be very dynamic...

tis true, and even while dj-ing, my friends from the phenomenal handclap band and i used to do a basement club disco situation at subtonic and we'd play tambourines occasionally and it sounded hot like fire but then my friend daniels really nice tambourine got stolen and it was bad vibes after that, the party became coketown, then the club had a massive flood and lost their liquor license, then they shut down and built this in its place.

SORE THUMB SKYLINE DISRUPTION RELATED!!!

tis true, and even while dj-ing, my friends from the phenomenal handclap band and i used to do a basement club disco situation at subtonic and we'd play tambourines occasionally and it sounded hot like fire but then my friend daniels really nice tambourine got stolen and it was bad vibes after that, the party became coketown, then the club had a massive flood and lost their liquor license, then they shut down and built this in its place.

SORE THUMB SKYLINE DISRUPTION RELATED!!!

Do you live in Austin?

I know you don't...but with that story, you might as well.

• which part the good party that became a wack cokeparty? or the lame apt building? i guess in the past few years prior to economic collapse this shit has been ubiquitous in every city

this smurf house is in my section in downtown manhattan

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    "-- Loko One: A minute ago, you had an avatar made up of a bunch of letters from various rap records. I knew all of them but the "T." What was that shit?"

Its the logo for my crew 'Dirt Box King'- a Sydney hip hop outfit made up of a bunch of djs, mc's and diggers...

One of the boys in the crew, Banga, came up with the idea. And the T comes from Ice T...

By lokoone at 2009-02-18

which part the good party that became a wack cokeparty? or the lame apt building? i guess in the past few years prior to economic collapse this shit has been ubiquitous in every city

All of it, from the good to the bad. Only difference is that the flood would be a fire.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

My least favorite pseudo-modern glass building buiilt in NY in the last 15 years. Such an eyesore, and so damn prominent. Makes me really angry....

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Paul Ramous on Harlem?

"Fence Walk" b/w "15 Miles to Provo"

I think this is a Texas record, though. San Antonio maybe?

Paul Ramous on Harlem?

"Fence Walk" b/w "15 Miles to Provo"

I think this is a Texas record, though. San Antonio maybe?

That's it--thank you!

And the internets say you're right with regard to the origin. A Mandrill cover on the Harlem label turns out to be from fucking Texas. You gotta love the world of records.