DAYDREAMS

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
somewhat good mood thread related, i find recently my formula for being in a good mood these days is to be thankful for amazing friends and fam i have, thinking a few steps forward to the future and making small plans/goals to make the immediate future awesome (within my means) and running with daydreams during idle moments throught out the day---healthy escapism related, not drugs or excessive drink escapism although i don't judge the later if you aren't f*cking up consistently or being rudeso what are the things you daydream about? daydreams usually have a stronger impact with me because those ideas continue with new plots and embellishments day to day, because i can remember them where as sleeping dreams i often forget and if they do, they take too much energy to deconstruct or make sense out of. daydreams are interesting to me because they are 100% lucid and stem from concious aspirations/fantasies.my most recent one stemmed from me getting really excited while researching topiary gardens and garden mazes I want to visit in England this springall these pictures of crazy gardens and castles made me think that if I had the money and resources, I would love to design an edutainment amusement park based on old mystery cliches (or classic Scooby Doo episodes) where predestined secret doors and passageways would be revealed after going into a huge old timey library and pulling certain famous books out of the shelves. A secret doorway would reveal a path to a different adventure base on that book's story or genre like the Choose Your Own Adventure books i grew up on.And along these predetermined paths besides the best landscape architecture possible and most realistic faux landmarks, there would be some puzzles and brain teasers to solve to further the plot of the story and advance to the next level/setting. Off the top of my head, I can think of stories like The Most Dangerous Game, The Secret Garden, Alice in Wonderland as inspiration for the different paths/doorways. And maybe for the 21+ group, a tour would be devised where if you F*ck up on your forked road choices, you would end up gettin bricked into a wall alive while sipping on a cask of amontillado ala Edgar Allan Poe. That would be game over/end of the tour and eventually spit you out in the parking lot.I'm not even stoned or drunk, it's all because of stupid internet pictures that put me on this Choose your own Adventure/ Encylopedia Brown fantasy shit. Now spill it! I won't judge if it entails unearthing a East Of Underground OG in the caverns of Machu Picchu

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

my most recent one stemmed from me getting really excited while researching topiary gardens and garden mazes I want to visit in England this spring

Checking out Hampton Court Palace by any chance? And hit up Leeds Castle Maze & the Grotto. I wanted to hit up England the same time you were to visit friends, but it looks like I'm gonna be in Japan & Korea with friends Mid April.

I'm not even stoned or drunk, it's all because of stupid internet pictures that put me on this Choose your own Adventure/ Encylopedia Brown fantasy shit. Now spill it! I won't judge if it entails unearthing a East Of Underground OG in the caverns of Machu Picchu

Man, I'm dying to check out Machu Picchu... It's pretty much in my top 2 list right now.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to live in house that had secret passage ways, hidden rooms ect. I remember when we were staying in this old place in France, the bedside cabinet had a hidden compartment, for hiding your secret stuff in, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I often daydream about how that house would look/work.

• I always thought the Winchester Mansion was kind of cool. But then when I went there, it was sort of a let down.

There was a really creepy stairway that went nowhere, though.

• Since I was a child I have found daydreaming to be a huge part of everyday- I need to daydream and space out and take the focus out of my eyes for a little time every single day, it's always been somewhat meditative, and very necessary. It keeps me all the more focused and attentive when I'm not daydreaming.
    Lots of spacing out to records.

I love staring at traffic.

I love observing where my mind goes when I'm not trying to control it.

I also intermittently have experimented with lucid dreaming but that's a different subject.

One major daydream for now is out of my normal work zone at the moment but it's something i feel passionately about and it stems from my background in science....it's a daydream about designing a pilot program for teaching anatomy and physiology in schools at the elementary level. About a month ago after a solid daydream session I sat down and spontaneously banged out a 10 page rant/proposal about why this element of science is wrongfully ignored in early education and if it were taught we would see more inclination toward scientific study among kids. Biology is the first major science kids are exposed to however anatomy and physiology can connect them to understanding the functions of their own bodies, digestive, respiratory, circulatory, reproductive, endocrine systems so why is this not the threshold science for kids? wouldn't it get them interested and more connected not only to science but to their own well-being? I went on to point out that if children understood the processes within their bodies at a deeper level it's possible that we would see more self awareness, less addiction and drinking and unhealthy eating, unwanted pregnancy and std's and less general mistreatment of one's own body as well as violence toward others. it's pretty heavy shit. i could go on.
    it's not where i am now work-wise and i always take on too much but it's something i daydream about a lot.

oh and edith you absolutely should go walk around Sissinghurst Castle gardens, that garden has blown my mind on several occasions, I believe you will be there just as the first roses are coming up.
    it's a 12th century castle that was brought back from ruin and restored to its glory by the writer Vita Sackville-West and her husband in the 1930's.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The Lost Gardens of Heligan

These are the best gardens I have visited in England

Just a shame that it in darkest pirate-land Cornwall, a long way from London

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My daydreams are typically nature oriented. Just the other day, I took a little nature hike at lunchtime, found a bench under a tree, and took a little 30-minute nap. With no other people around, it was kinda like I was just floating there blowing in the wind. I smoke a lot of weed, so it's fairly easy for me to just about any time conjure up that same floating-in-the-sky feeling, whether I'm in an actual place of serenity or even just sitting in my truck in traffic.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to live in house that had secret passage ways, hidden rooms ect.

Yea! We will be renovating our basement and Man really wants to put in a secret passage way lol! There is a wall that we???ve been talking about taking down anyway and it would be easy to connect a closet with an upstairs backroom and out to the backyard! Tee hee!

Without getting into deep dark personal or utopian daydreams, I???ll say the selfish daydreams are all about getting the house right....vents in the attic, tiling the basement floor, putting in a vegetable garden and more specifically how to convince man to agree to a tinted mirror pillar in the basement. What? It will be tasteful! It will!

• damn it really sucks not being able to check soulstrut at work anymore, that's where i post 99% of the time and i don't have the patience to weed through pages of topics to catch up when i get home. i hate firewalls!!

thanks for the sightseeing recommendations Billy and Steve. I haven't really had a chance to sink my teeth into researching things to do until last night so i appreciate that. I was researching mazes because I remember being disappointed a while back that there were no hedge mazes in the states really, so i made a mental note that i had to visit one in england.

• Isn't there easy ways around firewalls these days???

• I love staring at traffic.

Ha! I do that too. I am such a space cadet in cars especially when there is good music playing. Music always causes me to daydream. I have some Wayne's Worldish dreams often when I listen to music on my morning commute on the BART train. Those daydreams led to buying a drum set and even though it didn't turn out to be a passing fancy, I still think about how nice it play covers with friends on a random sidewalk someday.

Missbassie, I daydream about home improvement all the time. I love my house. We got new floors in our bathroom and I stained our wood cabinets to match. Just started thinking about what colors to paint it this weekend.

• edith_head, that's badass. Let me know when it's up and running, I'm buying tickets. SCOOBY-DOO FO LYFE.

Are you rich? Let's be bizness partners!

• Isn't there easy ways around firewalls these days???

how so? if you mean proxy avoidance sites, those are banned too

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Google translate has worked for me in some of these tough environments, worth a try:
    http://translate.google.com/translate?pr...history_state0=