Lamont Johnson 'Thunderfist'?

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
So I picked up this 7" today for a dollar, one side has three jazz funk songs from the Lamont Johnson Quintet and the other side is radio spots for the movie. I thought when I found it that it was the thing Shadow and Chemist used to start off Brainfreeze, but I think that was Thunderkick, not Thunderfist. Looks like this thing was reissued a few years ago and I'm trying to figure out if this is an original or not. Or do originals even exist? Deadwax reads AR1973-A/B.

Comments

• I can't believe you ventured out in this weather

• A little rain never hurt anyone.

So does any one know any thing?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    That's the blue label one with a small hole featuring Blue Mitchell right?
    Pretty sure they're all recent presses.

• The more I think about it the more likely it seems there is an OG of this. Not that the one I found necessarily is. If anyone has the reissue I'd appreciate it greatly if you could check the runoff numbers. thanx.

• I just bought one from the UK. It has AR 1973 - A on the a-side. AR 1973 - B on the B-side

Sounds, feels and smells like the real deal, an OG press ..

anyone have the boot?

kidinquisitive said:
    The more I think about it the more likely it seems there is an OG of this. Not that the one I found necessarily is. If anyone has the reissue I'd appreciate it greatly if you could check the runoff numbers. thanx.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't know.
    I have had a few movie radio spot 45s and they all had nothing but radio spots on them.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

main theme not on the 45.

i have the 45 too. i've had my copy since 2004. got it off a fellow collector. don't know what the deal is with it tho[/code]

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    knew I had a copy somewhere but it took me a while to find it. I got this in '03 and always assumed it was a boot.
    numbers are the same as the copy teddyrosso mentioned - A side has the 6 radio spots, B side has the 3 tracks.
    has an American address on it but has a small hole? doesn't seem quite right. cool little single though.

• big earbig ear 67 Posts
    forgot to mention, my copy plays at 33 - that about seals the bootleg deal for me.