online record dealers..............

litemus5litemus5 132 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Does anyone happen to carry that Black Cat 45 I brought up on an earlier thread awhile back? I can't seem to find it anywhere else and I've been waiting patiently for Baghat Vinyl to begin carrying it again since they're the only ones I've seen with the 45. I've called almost every record store on the planet and they have absolutely no idea of what I'm talking about.

Comments

• If it's the one w/ the version of the Johnny Guitar Watson song you're looking for try NYC's own Good Records. I just copped one there the other day.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I've called almost every record store on the planet

cool can I get the list you're using? how long did that take you? :-P

• I have them. PM me to purchase.

Thanks- Jonny

• Options
    you talking about gwen mccrae?

• Thanks for the info maocontent. In answering your question though mylatency, about a month and a half (off & on) since I made the last Black Cat thread on this site.

• That's a hot 45. I recently ran into the guy who put that record out. He's the same dude who does hosts the television show The Rare Groove Revolution. Very cool guy.

• Does he plan on putting out any more 45's?

• im not knowing about any of this... please post the title of said 45, so i can hear.

• The 45 can be heard on the dudes myspace page, his name is DJ Soulero, check it out:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=322286065

• nice, i need the 45 with the funk version of gmf/ the message....
    whos behind this... anybody know ?
    jonny, mao help !

• There's one by Mighty Mo & the Winchester Seven which might be out of print by now, but check over at Big City.

And then there's the edit that Kenny Dope did that just came out domestically. This one should be everywhere.

• It's funny you should mention that because when I ran into him in Brooklyn, I asked him that same question. Apparently, he was supposed to drop 2 albums last year but Dave from Baghat Vinyl who distributes his label went AWOL on him. To make a long story short, he said he tried reaching out to Dave this past December about it (amongst other things) on myspace, Dave then asked him for his number, never called him, and deleted his myspace account shortly afterwards. He said he even tried to reach out to him on Facebook last month with no reply up to this very minute. Kinda fucked up.

• It's funny you should mention that because when I ran into him in Brooklyn, I asked him that same question. Apparently, he was supposed to drop 2 albums last year but Dave from Baghat Vinyl who distributes his label went AWOL on him. To make a long story short, he said he tried reaching out to Dave this past December about it (amongst other things) on myspace, Dave then asked him for his number, never called him, and deleted his myspace account shortly afterwards. He said he even tried to reach out to him on Facebook last month with no reply up to this very minute. Kinda fucked up.

Damn, Dave flaked on him too?

• That's what it appears.

• People know I have defended Dave on here in the past. I have no knowledge of his dealings with Soulero.

Dave got at me about a month ago because he needed some quick cash. He sold me a number of records (old stuff) and offered to throw in a 20 count of the Black Kat record.

So I have a limited supply of the title but I'm not sure at all about getting more. I am not aware of the deal behind the record. But my opinion of Dave remains that he is a good man who has fell on some real hard times and if anyone got screwed behind that I doubt it was done with intentional malice.

• I understand what your saying, it's rough on everybody out here. I however do think he needs to be up front with Soulero about what's going on. Not having your phone calls and e-mail messages returned after awhile only leaves room for speculation. And from the impression I got from talking with the guy is that he feels Dave is trying to pull a fast one on him through all of the alleged e-mail & phone ducking.

• I don't think that's the case - and Soulero's welcome to contact me directly if he sees this post. I have not been able to get in contact with Dave for over a year now. I always give him a call when I come through Baltimore as he was always a good dealer to work with but as I said it has been a long time. Most mutual acquaintances have the same experience. His phone call a month ago came completely out of the blue. It was from an unknown number and for all I know a prepaid burner. I don't think the dude is really up to screwing someone over right now.

As for the personal problems I can confirm that they are real and that they are serious. As for how the man handles his business I cannot speak to that.

As far as this particular record goes I can understand being put off by no contact but I doubt there is any fast one going on. I mean, Dave hasn't been selling the record himself at all, and I can't imagine that he even recouped the cost of pressing it. If I was Soulero (and I have been in that same position), I'd try to get some copies for myself but beyond that just move on and be thankful people are into the record.

• If I was Soulero (and I have been in that same position), I'd try to get some copies for myself but beyond that just move on and be thankful people are into the record.

What, just be thankful and move on? What kind of statement is that? Johnny you know that's not sufficient. You yourself should know that Dave owes him at least an explanation for what's going on, especially if they've got business dealings together.

• He should just move on and be thankful that people are into the record? Johnny, I know that's your friend and a lot of people stand up for him on this board but that's not an excuse for dude to act in an unprofessional-like manner towards people he's in business with. He owes him at least that explanation.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    If I was Soulero (and I have been in that same position), I'd try to get some copies for myself but beyond that just move on and be thankful people are into the record.

What, just be thankful and move on? What kind of statement is that? Johnny you know that's not sufficient. You yourself should know that Dave owes him at least an explanation for what's going on, especially if they've got business dealings together.

And I think you owe Soulero some privacy.
    If he wanted his biz on the internet I'm sure he'd be on here saying something.

• I'm not saying it's sufficient, but I'm saying that there's not much that can be done. I've had my stuff booted and pressed without even a copy let alone a dime go to me so I'm speaking from experience, sometimes it's best to just move on and be happy people are feeling the record. I mean, we're not talking about a money-making venture here. Like I said I think Dave probably LOST money on it.

What's going on is that Dave has had some bad turns, not "it's rough for all of us" I'm down on my luck problems, but serious family and health issues. He put out this record but at some point was not even able to maintain his site let alone sell/distribute the record.

I can't really go into more detail than that here but if Soulero wants I can put him up with contact info I have and some of the specifics. I have no idea whether he'll be able to get it from the horse's mouth though.

• *Cue Internet Outrage*

• None of this would be up for discussion right now if Dave were to just let him know behind the scenes what is going on instead of just completely avoiding him. Like Domicio68 mentioned, it leaves way too much room for speculation.

• speculation

that's all this is - perhaps one of you in direct contact with Soulero can forward him my way if he wants to talk about it further. Beyond that I'm not going to keep repeating myself. Dave's not a good friend or anything I just happen to know what's going on with him and I don't think he's ducking anyone, per se. He's got bigger fish to fry at this moment.

Soulero if you're reading this, feel free to hit me up www.goodrecordsnyc.com.

• If I was Soulero (and I have been in that same position), I'd try to get some copies for myself but beyond that just move on and be thankful people are into the record.

And I think you owe Soulero some privacy.
    If he wanted his biz on the internet I'm sure he'd be on here saying something.

True, I'll grant you that but at the same time, Dave owes him at least the common courtesy if they're supposed to be doing business together.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Domicio:
    Litemus:
    He should just move on and be thankful that people are into the record? Johnny, I know that's your friend and a lot of people stand up for him on this board but that's not an excuse for dude to act in an unprofessional-like manner towards people he's in business with. He owes him at least that explanation.

You two telepathic?

Or the same person?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    There's one by Mighty Mo & the Winchester Seven which might be out of print by now, but check over at Big City.

And then there's the edit that Kenny Dope did that just came out domestically. This one should be everywhere.

After listening to Kenny's version at Bumpshop and at Big City, it sounded like he added some keyboard sounds too. Am I wrong? When I listen to the B-Side of the Mighty Mo 7", I feel like I might hear some of the sounds, but not all of the ones on the Kenny Dope version. Regardless, they are both dope 7"s worth having. I do my morning push ups to that record. Tuff!

• Domicio:
    Litemus:
    He should just move on and be thankful that people are into the record? Johnny, I know that's your friend and a lot of people stand up for him on this board but that's not an excuse for dude to act in an unprofessional-like manner towards people he's in business with. He owes him at least that explanation.

You two telepathic?

Or the same person?

Well, it would seem like we're the same person from the way we both took that "He should just be thankful" statement that was made.

• Domicio:
    Litemus:

You two telepathic?

Or the same person?

Well, it would seem like we're the same person from the way we both took that "He should just be thankful" statement that was made.

Domicio, are you reading my mind? Lol.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    So if we have a nine levels of record selling hell (a la Dante's Inferno), can we get a roll call?

K in Canada on level 9
    DJ Paul Nice on level 6?
    Dave from Baghat on 2?
    KKKala on the foothills of level 1