GOAT Disco band/artist

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
I was thinking about this the other day, who was the greatest disco band/artist of all times? I think not only popularity at the time, but standing the test of time up to now should be a factor as well. I'm going with:KC & The Sunshine Band-mad hits, still listenable, funkay, alldatshit. Donna Summer? Great singer, but many of her songs are nearly intolerable. Holleur!

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    CHIC

• Cloud One - Flying Hihg!
    my all time fav disco tune

Patrick Adams is GOAT!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

Patrick Adams is GOAT!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    CHIC

This is hard to argue. Not saying I am fully on board, but this is as good an answer as any I can think of.

• GQ is up there. Used to be the Rhythm Makers right?

I mean there's no arguing with Nile Rogers and Patrick Adams (and Rick James?) but some of these other groups had serious careers too... Rod Temperton and Heatwave.

GQ is up there. Used to be the Rhythm Makers right?

I mean there's no arguing with Nile Rogers and Patrick Adams (and Rick James?) but some of these other groups had serious careers too... Rod Temperton and Heatwave.

I just realized....MFSB/Vince Montana/Philly Int'l stable, or is that too broad? They kinda created the sound that became most successfully associated with disco, didn't they?

• Hell yeah.

• GQ Standing Ovation is a great Disco Album.

• nile rodgers

• nile rodgers

No doubt Nile Rogers is nice, but it seems dudes forget his partner Bernard Edwards was that dude as well.

Those basslines are timeless jokers.

• does tom moulton count?

• Donna Summer? Great singer, but many of her songs are nearly intolerable.
    Holleur!

Its a shame cause Donna Summer can sang her ass off, but because of Disco's Hatt she'll never be canonized like her R&B Contemporaries.

On The Radio is my shit.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    CHIC

This is hard to argue.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    It has to be a producer/ producing team definitely so Chic is top suggestion.

I also like what Norman Whitfield did with Rose Royce or Mizell Brothers with A Taste Of Honey. And what about Vince Montana Jr. and Salsoul?

Donna Summer? Great singer, but many of her songs are nearly intolerable.
    Holleur!

Its a shame cause Donna Summer can sang her ass off, but because of Disco's Hatt she'll never be canonized like her R&B Contemporaries.

Bad Girls[/b] is my shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Disco went for a minute - late 60's to early 80's.

There so much music that contributed to the scene.

One could argue James Brown is G.O.A.T.

Barry White was a self-admitted Disco artist.

Van McCoy put in work.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Heatwave - Real Heads Choice in this discussion.

• No love for LB?

• Disco went for a minute - (from the)[/b] late 60's

????

Okay, the late sixties seems a little early to me, but I won't argue the point. We all have different starting points, and I'm not gonna derail the thread.

Besides, Batmon probably owes me one for calling early-'70s Stevie Wonder "black rock!"

Disco went for a minute - (from the)[/b] late 60's

????

Okay, the late sixties seems a little early to me, but I won't argue the point. We all have different starting points, and I'm not gonna derail the thread.

Besides, Batmon probably owes me one for calling early-'70s Stevie Wonder "black rock!"

Disco Culture Older than The Disco "sound".

Baby You Need a Change of Mind(72) is a commercial response to what was happening already.

Like how Rapper's Delight is 6 years late.

The Loft wasnt some new idea in '70. It was built from a bubblin' culture.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

This is a good one.
    Chic > KC &TSB? No. They're great, but no.
    Patrick Adams stuff is great, but I'm not sure many people who loved/love disco would even know who he is. I was thinking more mainstream, not RHKTD.

This is a good one.
    Patrick Adams stuff is great, but I'm not sure many people who loved/love disco would even know who he is. I was thinking more mainstream, not RHKTD.

Chic > KC &TSB? Absolutely. KC&TSB are great, but no.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

This is a good one.

Chic > KC &TSB? Absolutely. KC&TSB are great, but no.

Seriously. I'm a huge fan of both, but the innovation, technical expertise, massive popular appeal and, yes, even the image/"message" of Chic are all truly

As far as the G.O.A.T., though, I almost see them as finishing off the disco era, putting a cherry on top and leading into something new rather than the Salsoul Orchestra, who carried disco solidly from the "beginning" to "end".

• dont sleep on miami disco heat. tons of it.

this is a topic that can have no g.o.a.t.

the umbrella of disco is endless.

while theres are soooo many great lps, donna mcghee, heatwaves, chics, rufus, ojays, first choices, just about anything coming from philly.......imo thee lp reaching disco perfection, is quincy jones and rod temperton with michael....call it over-rated but it is absolutely timeless..the most powerful trio in disco.
    i always say if this were a private or indie lp, game over.

Isnt the Sunshine Band the session cats who played for the label and K.C. was added as a frontman since he was a writer?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would probably say Chic. Just Nile & Bernard other production work is pretty hawt!!

Just of the top of my head...

Dance, Dance, Dance
    Everybody Dance
    Good Times
    Chic Cheer
    Le Freak
    I Want Your Love
    Soup For One

They had quite a bit of influence over music culture of the last 30 years. Be it Dance & house music to Hip Hop and R&B.

dont sleep on miami disco heat. tons of it.

while theres are soooo many great lps, donna mcghee, heatwaves, chics, rufus, ojays, first choices, just about anything coming from philly.......imo thee lp reaching disco perfection, is quincy jones and rod temperton with michael....call it over-rated but it is absolutely timeless..the most powerful trio in disco.

I can[/b] feel that...

dont sleep on miami disco heat. tons of it.

Now ya''' know im a muthafuckin OFF THE WALL head.

I think the strength of that album isnt just the Dance floor bangers but the midtempo and slow songs that balance out the sweat-bangers. I dont know about perfect in the DISCO context. Perfect as an album - My fav hands down.

BURN THIS DISCO OUT!!!!

.html-marquee {height:200px;width:400px;background-color:ffff33;font-family:Cursive;font-size:36pt;color:CC0000;font-weight:bold;border-width:4;border-style:dotted;border-color:ff0000;}

"Blame It on the Boogie"

I would probably say Chic. Just Nile & Bernard other production work is pretty hawt!!

Just of the top of my head...

Dance, Dance, Dance
    Everybody Dance
    Good Times
    Chic Cheer
    Le Freak
    I Want Your Love
    Soup For One

They had quite a bit of influence over music culture of the last 30 years. Be it Dance & house music to Hip Hop and R&B.

CHIC - has good FULL albums.