New Orleans, what's hot?

bruceforcebruceforce 92 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
hi there,headed to New Orleans with milady this weekend, and wondering what is good. we have never been there before, so anything from base suggestions, like beignets at Cafe du Monde (my mom's suggestion) or whatever, to sweaty strutter dj gigs that we may want to hit.would love to hit some rootsy zydeco bbq's, or check out stacks of Eddie Bo 45's. been on the chowhound to find stuff to eat, so have some ideas and reservations for food, have no effin idea though what to do for nightlife, daylife, and the inbetween.want to avoid stuff that sucks and make sure i hit some "real shit" since we are only there for a few...Thanks!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Things that I found cool (you may want to check the thread on this very topic from a couple of weeks back too).
    Backstreet Cultural?mardi Gras Museum.
    2 for 1 Rib deal at the House of Blues
    Leo Nocentelli's Guitar at the Hard Rock Cafe
    national WWII Museum
    Cajun Pride Swamp Tour in LaPlace
    Record shopping at the Louisiana Music Factory
    Walter "Wolfman" Washington on wednesday night at DBA
    Charbroiled oysters at Drago's
    Generally just wandering about the place.

• There was a NOLA thread a few weeks ago that has lots
    of good info.

ANYWAY: Go see Rebirth Brass Band at Tipitinas.
    Walk around the quarter and soak it all in.
    Take a streetcar up St. Charles and gawk at the mansions.
    Take a swamp tour in LaPlace. Cheesy, yet cool. Not the best time for
    lush greens, however.
    CRAWFISH SEASON! Not the best year, but they are bigger than expected.

• Cochon was a great meal. Highly recommended.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    restaurants:

French Quarter:

1. Port of Call - Hamburger. It's on Esplanade.
    2. Fiorella's - Fried Chicken. It's on French Market Place.
    3. Central Grocery - Muffaletta. It's on Decatur.
    4. Irene's - Oysters Irene. It's on St. Phillip.
    5. Luke - Fried Porkchops/Cochon de Lait Po-Boy. This is one of John Besh's restaurants. It's on St. Charles, just outside the quarter, in the CBD.
    6. Gumbo Shop - Alligator Sauce Piquante/Chicken Espagnole. Can't remember the street it's on but it's right by Jackson Square.
    7. Bennachin (African) - get the Bennachin (African Jambalaya) or the Ndole. On Royal St. They have a cool ginger soda as well IIRC.
    8. Herbsaint - Duck or the Ribeye. It's in the Warehouse District on St. Charles. They have different menus for lunch and dinner. This is actually considered one of the best restaurants in the US.

Uptown:

1. Jacques-imos - Fried Chicken (though everything is great here). It's on Oak St.
    2. Domilise's - Roast Beef Po-Boy (or Shrimp or Oyster... can't go wrong). It's on Annunciation.
    3. Franky & Johnny's - Fried Shrimp/Boiled Crawfish/Fried Bell Pepper RIngs. Arabella St.
    4. Camellia Grill - Burgers/Waffles/Omelettes. On Carrollton, just off St. Charles.
    5. Lebanon's - Lula Kabob (Lebanese Lamb Sausage). On Carrollton & Willow.
    6. Vincent's - Crabmeat Canneloni. On St. Charles & Burdette.

If you really want to ball, hit one of these places:

Commander's Palace
    Galatoire's (my favorite restaurant in N.O.)
    Arnaud's
    Antoine's
    Restaurant August
    Bayona

• Get "DJ lessons from this guy" (commence le clowning)
    http://neworleans.craigslist.org/ele/1029577849.html

seriously though, most of what's been mentioned is definitely worth while (especially food wise). i won't say anything more about food b/c most places in the city are great, and you already have a good list in front of you.

Here's the other NOLA thread from a minute ago:
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1261709&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Hit up Domino Sound Record Shack and Jim Russell's for records.

For other things to do during the day:
    like someone else already said, just wander around. walk around the french quarter, walk into the marigny and bywater neighborhoods downriver from the quarter. grab an Abita (beer) in the middle of the day and walk around with it (as long as it's in a plastic cup).

there are some great museums and galleries. New Orleans Art Museum is underrated, the Historic New Orleans Collection on Royal St usually has cool exhibitions. The LA State Museum in the Cabildo at Jackson Sq. has an interesting exhibit up right now commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Zulu Social Aid & Pleasure Club (African-American Mardi Gras Krewe). Contemporary Art Center usually has good stuff, as does the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. good galleries in marigny and bywater, cbd, and magazine st neighborhoods. again, wandering is key.

during the night: what days are you going to be in town? let me know and i can give you a good rundown. if you're around sunday night, the maple leaf, a great bar uptown, just started their sunday night crawfish boils again. it's either free or a $5 cover, you get huge amounts of delicious crawfish, and you get to see three great NO musicians jam out: Walter Wolfman Washington (aforementioned), Russell Batiste, & Joe Krown.

OH, AND VERTI MARTE JUST STARTED OPERATING 24 HOURS AGAIN A WEEK OR TWO AGO!

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    i've always had fun at rock and bowl too. I've seen eddie bo perform there while drinking beer and playing bowling.

http://www.rockandbowl.com/CalandarPAGE/mounths/february.html

• grab an Abita (beer) in the middle of the day and walk around with it (as long as it's in a plastic cup).

GREAT NEWS!

Oh, and make sure you grab a "restoration ale" by Abita at aforementioned
    Verti Marte as you walk around the quarter (the 'Marte will give you a cup).
    Profits go to the city redevelopment, and it kinda smells like a Magnolia Tree!

• grab an Abita (beer) in the middle of the day and walk around with it (as long as it's in a plastic cup).

GREAT NEWS!

Oh, and make sure you grab a "restoration ale" by Abita at aforementioned
    Verti Marte as you walk around the quarter (the 'Marte will give you a cup).
    Profits go to the city redevelopment, and it kinda smells like a Magnolia Tree!

I'm rocking this right now:

http://abita.com/brews/pecan.php

• Duuuuude.
    That brew is super-tasty.
    I got all kinds of faded on the Abita AndyGator
    on teh tap at teh bar last weekend.
    That stuff is STRONG and DELICIOUS.

• Duuuuude.
    That brew is super-tasty.
    I got all kinds of faded on the Abita AndyGator
    on teh tap at teh bar last weekend.
    That stuff is STRONG and DELICIOUS.