Gambler's Fallacy, ever get the feeling...?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Gambler's fallacy is essentially the feeling that you're "due for a win."I feel like I'm due for some good news. Too much shit making me tired and stuff. Hung over idiot at the craft center didn't help with my screen printing and I was there all day. Failed an exam. Paper to write. Midterm tomorrow. Don't have enough room in my head for more info. My speakers are making everyone's voice sound really low. On top of that I have to make myself look nice for an obligatory dance party. I'm thinking a GRE prep book will complete my ensemble.I think I'm due for a win. I'm still waiting. You guys?

Comments

• All the damn time

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    You need some Cosmic OrderingTM

from Wiki:

Cosmic ordering is the belief that individuals can use their desires to "connect with the cosmos" and make those desires become reality.The idea is connected to the New Age movement and other concepts such as the Law of Attraction.

Followers write down a wish list of things they want to come true and submit it to the cosmos and wait for it to happen.

Cosmic ordering is a phenomenon made famous since late 2005 by TV presenter Noel Edmonds. Edmonds was first introduced to the book ???The Cosmic Ordering Service - A Guide to Realising Your Dreams??? by his reflexologist. Noel Edmonds had not worked on TV since the end of his BBC TV show ???Noel's House Party??? in 1999. One of his wishes was for a new challenge, and within months he was offered the chance to return to TV to work on Deal or No Deal.

Cosmic ordering has recently been put forward as a solution to women's inequality in academia. Proponents advocate asking the cosmos for a promotion to help equal the playing field with men. Opponents of the concept described the approach as "scandalous" and that "It sounds like an opiate to dull the pain of reality and I can't see the point. The university might as well give women cannabis to dull their senses."

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Maybe Noel should submit this guys bungalow to the cosmos and not rely on Wealden Council.

I tried Cosmic Ordering but it hasn't worked yet.

Maybe had something to do with the order itself, which involved Carol Vorderman, two sets of handcuffs and a vat of Swarfega.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm definitely on the come up. But I have to tell you???you make your own luck. Get your real world moves on.

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses???behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    You should come help me move this weekend.

I'm not sure how that will help.

But it couldn't hurt.

Well, it couldn't hurt me, I don't know what it would do for you.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

I thought that gambler's fallacy was going to be the discrepancy between what a gambler reports/says he/she has lost and what they really have, and how much they think they've won.

Gamblers always focus on the wins, and try and put their losses behind them... so I'd say that I probably suffer this in regards to how much I think I spend on records each month.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Cosmic ordering is AWESOME! i totally believe in its AWESOME! power.

I just wish that all those lazy Africans would stop waiting around with their hands out, the lazy Indians who were born of a lower caste would stop feeling sorry for themselves, the selfish Palestinians would stop throwing rocks and complaining so much.

They all need to look at the 'first world's' white middle class for the AWESOME! answer that is "I believe that i deserve something, the cosmos revolves around me, so why shouldnt i be able to 'order' it"

AWESOME!

BTW: this is not in any way aimed at you Almond, you are good peoples, this is aimed at Noel f*cking Edmonds, the stupid cunt that wrote that piece of shit book, Oprah for promoting it, and the legions of self-absorbed white middle class wankers that have their heads so far up their own arses that this AWESOME! idea actually makes sense to them.

Coffee, must drink more coffee...

this is aimed at Noel f*cking Edmonds, the stupid cunt

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Cosmic ordering reminds me of praying with the whole sending your desires out into the cosmos aspect. But I don't pray and if I tried, I'd probably feel guilty because I would be praying for selfish things like getting a job instead of humanitarian things like putting an end to global warming.

I'll try cosmic ordering tonight and let you know if it gets me an internship. Then I'll start a "COSMIC ORDERING FAILED ME (NRR)" thread.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I just wanna find a monster record

if I don't find one at least every other week I get depressed

• Do a mailing

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Do a mailing

you mean ala funkyou!?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I've been noticing 4:44 with increasing frequency lately, and it's staring to seem like a message or sign or something. I'm not a true believer so I don't really buy the angelic numerology explanation...

• i'm the opposite, specially in amongst the really bad stuff that goes on in the world i feel awful lucky to be where i am- especially with my health. never had any "serious" probs so am totally under the belief that i'm gonna get hit with something real bad!! fingers crossed it's not the case, but when you see bad shit happening to good people.....makes you think....