Presidential News Conference

eliseelise 3,252 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
who's watching?

Comments

• Me

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    He seems so careful with is words (understandably) and looks pissed...to me at least.

How are strutters feeling about his economic solution? I would go through all the threads, but I couldn't find anything.

I just am not so sure, if I, personally, will notice a difference...

single, don't have a business, no home, etc.

• I think the idea of the solution is spot on.

I think he is coming off as very angry in this press conference; not necessarily a good thing. Careful, as well, with the, 'I inherited this crisis.' Dude, you ran because you wanted it- you got it.

Long answers.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Serious and thoughtful.....Yes

Angry......not so much.

• He seems so careful with is words (understandably) and looks pissed...to me at least.

How are strutters feeling about his economic solution? I would go through all the threads, but I couldn't find anything.

I take him (and the situation) very seriously. You're lucky to have less to worry about than some. I have two kids, a house and work in an industry that's been going into the toilet in a big way. I don't expect to benefit directly from the plan (especially since no amount of stimulus is going to bring about a correction in the newspaper business) but it would be nice to see a slowdown in the number of businesses that are closing everyday, and to see some people get off of the unemployment rolls and be able to put food on the table again.

work in an industry that's been going into the toilet in a big way.

Serious question.......when did you realize that the industry was doomed?

My daughter is a senior majoring in Journalism and is very worried about her prospects??

A-Rod

Really??

GTFOOHWTBSQ

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Interesting.

I am listening on the radio.

I missed the angry thing.

Serious. Lecturing. But I have not heard anger.

He is giving much more in depth answers than any journalist wants to hear. Sometimes so in depth that you don't realize that he has completely dodged the question.

I imagine most of them are just waiting for the misstatement.

I am very glad he is our president.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He just called on Huffington Post. That has to be a first.

• He just called on Huffington Post. That has to be a first.

Loved that.

Helen Thomas in the front row.

Anyone still under the delusion that Bush will be tried for War Crimes??

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Good call sayin that only some politicians are really opposed to the stimulus, most economists agree it should happen.

• work in an industry that's been going into the toilet in a big way.

Serious question.......when did you realize that the industry was doomed?

My daughter is a senior majoring in Journalism and is very worried about her prospects??

Probably early last year. We saw cuts prior to that, but nothing like last year where we had around 200 layoffs (and another 150 buyouts) at our paper (out of about 1,000 employees.
    I wouldn't suggest that your daughter panic just yet. She'd probably have to start out at a smaller paper, which ironically aren't all suffering as badly because some of them are still independently owned and more attuned to fluctuations in the local economy.
    I work for a publicly traded corporation with well over 100 papers that has been bleeding money for a long time. Thanks to the economy tanking, lots of national advertising has disappeared, in addition to the fact that the classified ads (which make up a big part of revenues) have been siphoned off by various internet alternatives.
    Large format print media is dying quickly.
    The way forward is via electronic media and other alternatives.

• I do like the seriousness and gravity with which he approached this tonight. No nicknames for reporters, not a lot of jokes...

All business.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    He seems so careful with is words (understandably) and looks pissed...to me at least.

I take him (and the situation) very seriously. You're lucky to have less to worry about than some. I have two kids, a house and work in an industry that's been going into the toilet in a big way. I don't expect to benefit directly from the plan (especially since no amount of stimulus is going to bring about a correction in the newspaper business) but it would be nice to see a slowdown in the number of businesses that are closing everyday, and to see some people get off of the unemployment rolls and be able to put food on the table again.

yes I am lucky in some ways, and I do take this seriously.

It would keep this smile on my face to hear people out there that are struggling with families, illnesses, etc can get some REAL help.

basically, I agree.

• Helen Thomas in the front row.

notice how he dodged her setup on who had nukes? im taking it that she wanted him to state that israel had nukes and he played dodgeball with reality. smart.

i appreciated on the "prosecute bush" and "bipartisan cooperation", toward the end, that he wasnt too kind but was still diplomatic. it needs to be stated over and over that blind taxcut economics got us nowhere under republican administrations and that we do not need to continue the practice.wish he had mentioned that taxcuts return $1.04 on the dollar and foodstamp type aid results in $1.74 or whatever those stats are. people need that repeated often. i did miss the first half of the speech

i just texted someone that id call them after i finished watching my president. wasnt intentional, but i never used those words before.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

i appreciated on the "prosecute bush" and "bipartisan cooperation", toward the end, that he wasnt too kind but was still diplomatic. it needs to be stated over and over that blind taxcut economics got us nowhere under republican administrations and that we do not need to continue the practice.wish he had mentioned that taxcuts return $1.04 on the dollar and foodstamp type aid results in $1.74 or whatever those stats are. people need that repeated often. i did miss the first half of the speech

• He seems so careful with is words (understandably) and looks pissed...to me at least.

so, does your wife drive the van and you run the papers up to the front door, or do you drive the van?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

so, does your wife drive the van and you run the papers up to the front door, or do you drive the van?

Can you NOT be a total asshole at any given moment? Jesus.

• I want to not be a total asshole, but I can't ... not be.