Money Saving Strut

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
From looking at my online transaction history, it's obvious that I'm spending less now than a year ago. I used to grab $5 quick snacks and meals between classes and office hours, and it would really add up. I've been taking snacks with me (snack bars, fruit, etc) instead of buying it at a cafe where it is more expensive, and I probably save several $ a week. Also, I switched to a reusable water bottle so I don't have to buy 24 packs of bottled water anymore.My trick is that I've been keeping cash in my wallet and only using my card for things like groceries and large expenditures. Checks and online transfers for rent and stuff. That way if I decide to spend $2 on a slice of pizza, I can actually see the amount of dollars in my wallet decrease. I am pretty young, and I feel like my peers equate money with the sliding of a credit card, and not actual resources. I am also putting all my spare change into a small container in my house, just like I did when I was a kid. I have no where else to put my change, as it just makes my wallet/pockets heavy. They have machines at the supermarket that count change, and last time I went, it counted out $70 of coins. What are your penny pinching strategies?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I used to grab $5 quick snacks and meals between classes and office hours, and it would really add up. I've been taking snacks with me (snack bars, fruit, etc) instead of buying it at a cafe where it is more expensive, and I probably save several $ a week.

I do this too now. I love Mexican food, whether it's this place down the street from where I work or Del Taco, but I've been eating tuna sandwiches that I made at home and an apple for my lunch. It's saved me $30 a week.

I am also putting all my spare change into a small container in my house, just like I did when I was a kid. I have no where else to put my change, as it just makes my wallet/pockets heavy. They have machines at the supermarket that count change, and last time I went, it counted out $70 of coins.

I do this too. There was this guy I overheard on Friday who said he saved $1,700 worth in coins over the course of three years.

• What are your penny pinching strategies?

• Don't get into credit card debt
    Buy only what you need luxury-wise that means no terrible pink and black oxfords
    Choose ganja over alcohol if you must get lifted, one goes further than the other $$wise
    Consolidate your general expenses by sharing them, you are doing this in aforementioned dorm-like house share with skanky slobs
    Eat Mexican or Pho if you go out to eat
    Be a vegetarian, cheaper
    Don't buy records

• Be a vegetarian, cheaper

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Almond,

I'm a frugal cat by nature since I was raised that way (by Black parents who grew up poor). That said, I save money by (a) having a budget ($40 a week spending cash for buying lunch, if I choose), (b) regularly puting money over into our saving account from each paycheck, (c) minimal "binge spending" (I rarely shop), (d) brown-bagging lunch a few days a week, (e) mostly paying cash for purchases, (f) paying off credit card balances (which are typically low) at the end of the month, (g) eating half of the meals at restaurants and saving the rest for an additional meal at home, and (h) making pre-tax contributions to our retirement accounts (which should be diversified and conservative in the current economic situation). Using these tools will allow you to minimize debt and save for the future.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I'm a frugal cat by nature since I was raised that way (by Black parents who grew up poor). That said, I save money by (a) having a budget ($40 a week spending cash for buying lunch, if I choose), (b) regularly puting money over into our saving account from each paycheck, (c) minimal "binge spending" (I rarely shop), (d) brown-bagging lunch a few days a week, (e) mostly paying cash for purchases, (f) paying off credit card balances (which are typically low) at the end of the month, (g) eating half of the meals at restaurants and saving the rest for an additional meal at home, and (h) making pre-tax contributions to our retirement accounts (which should be diversified and conservative in the current economic situation). Using these tools will allow you to minimize debt and save for the future.

Pretty much it right there.

Wife and I started a budget in 2004, and have stuck to it- throughout the year, we put a portion of each check towards emergency savings, retirement, vacations, etc. So, for instance, when we go on vacation, we drain that account, and incur no debt.

Also, when you do your budget, you see where EVERY penny goes. When we budgeted, we started making lunch and coffee at home. Rough math had us saving around $1500 annually by packing and brewing at home... Seriously. Given that, save for Bahn Mi, you can't get a sandwich for less than $6, between two people, you're looking at $60/week in JUST sandwiches out- never mind chips, drink, etc.

We each have our indulgences, but we save for them and pay up front. Again, no debt is the key.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Be a vegetarian, cheaper

I am a vegetarian. I eat fish occasionally for the protein, so I'm technically a pescatarian. I paid $3.99 for some veggie dogs the other day. Freakin rip off for a chunk of flavored soy protein.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    People already outlined some important steps to take. Here's a few more ideas:

-Ride your bike as much as possible. Gas prices are about to go back up. Also good for reducing GHG's.

-Make extra portions when you make dinner at home. Take the rest to work the next day for lunch. Cheaper and usually healthier than eating out.

-Instead of clurbin it up every week, invite friends over and cook for them. You save money, impress friends with kitchen skills, end up with extra beer in the fridge, and inspire your homies to return the favor. Also, you don't have to tip that jackass bartender your hard earned skrilly.

-Stop buying records from the stores I shop at!

-Finally, and perhaps most importantly, find/discover/create innovative ways of MAKING money.

• Be a vegetarian, cheaper

I am a vegetarian. I eat fish occasionally for the protein, so I'm technically a pescatarian. I paid $3.99 for some veggie dogs the other day. Freakin rip off for a chunk of flavored soy protein.

On the surface it would seem that refraining from meats would save money.
    But it seems the all that cool organic veggie stuff is more expensive than regular produce.

So how much is a practicing V-Person spending on food vs the Meet-Person?

SoulMarcosa?

Im curious.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Internalize benefits and externalize costs...

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    my strategies (helped me save $20k + over a few years of low-paying retail in my 20s)

--live w/o a car if at all possible
    --buy thrift-store clothes
    --cook in large batches
    --get your reading material from the library!
    --drink at home with friends rather than going out and wasting money on overpriced beer$
    --if you have multiple gigs (i.e. day job plus some freelance, day job plus DJing, etc), try to live off of the main moneymaking gig and put all earnings from the other gig into savings
    --be friendly! i get the hookup at many bars, movie theaters, video and record stores etc just from living here a long time and making friends

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Spend, Spend and Spend some more....

It's good for the economy.

• Options
    Almond you are a great money saver!

sometimes my roommates and I, we agree to eat together and go get food together. sometimes we even split meals. at my old house we had a little vegetable garden that wasn't much but always provided something. also, the town I live in has a pretty steady bike market so it is not too hard to find used bicycle boxes and cut them up, 12x12 for record box fillers. I bought a box cutter and some extra blades at the hardware store. And I have a tool to sharpen dulled blades that I got while record digging with a friend.

cheers,
    lilmonstu

Public transportation is good. I bike/bus a lot. But Amtrack can get really expensive and it's always late.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Stop buying shoes, homie. : )

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Really trying to do the whole 'bring my lunch to work' thang lately, and it's equally money/health related.

• You gotta save at LEAST 10% of what you earn. Lock it up and throw away the key.... longterm GIC account, bonds, market, whatever. Do it. The sooner you start the better.

Stop buying shoes, homie. : )

I only buy shoes once in a while. My money saving strategy is to post photos of them on the Strut instead.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    What are your penny pinching strategies?

YES

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    There's a weekly street market in Boston called the Haymarket that might have an analog in your city or town. On Saturday, I copped three pounds of onions, three pounds of plum tomatoes, ten heads of garlic, two pounds of broccoli, four pounds of carrots, four and a half pounds of salmon, and a couple of nice blocks of cheese for $24 total. Made a dope red sauce from scratch, steamed the broccoli, made the carrots with honey and garlic, and marinated the salmon. I'll be eating that mostly all week. I still have some grapefruits, apples, and blueberries left over from the Haymarket the weekend before.

• I am fixing to have a nice veggie garden this year. Probably won't save me much this year, but after the first year it should pay off.

I have been packing lunch too, but that is for my health more than anything. Just found out I have high BP so I need to cut my salt. The money savings is nice though.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

get an iPhone + Almond Emulator

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Nothing really to add but here's a few tips I live by:

--My recession-era hairdo (i.e. the hairline) lets me rely on my lady for the quick clips. She is refining her technique and soon will be barber-quality.

--If you can't ride with the corporate brew, bring a French press to the office and make your coffee that way. Buying a coffee grinder will also pay for itself by providing quality coffee at home and at work, i.e. grind enough beans for a few days at a time.

--When cooking large quantities of food, freeze one or two serving for later -- helps by not making you sick of eating the same thing for several days in a row.

--Like D.B. said, pototoes and onions and garlic can't really get much cheaper. Most vegetables are cheap as heck. Buy and use them as a base for chilis, stews, soups, etc.

--Shine your own shoes and do your own ironing.