30 ROCK/OFFICE THREAD

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
because the two shows run back to back, so im starting to think of em as the same programRashida Jones was killin' it on The Office just because she's Rashida Jones! (eye-candy related)i mean salma hayek (on 30 Rock right now) is hot too, but DAAAAAAAAAMNhold it, gotta get back to my show

Comments

• heh, thats two shows in a row where somebody used the expression "out of my league"

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    If you hadn't started this thread, I would have.

That was easily my favorite 30 Rock of the season. Alec Baldwin was X 2 as Jack and the Generalissimo. For the most part it didn't have the broad gags that I get tired of (the Tracy and Jenna staff appreciation subplot from a recent episode) but really, really sharp witty lines. "You know, most visitors don't get to see Conan without his wig." "And now, the music of Tito Puente and pictures of cute Latin kids" etc. The Tracy with the Fratboys subplot was a little weak but it had minimal impact on the overall pace of the show and provided a nice plot point for the Liz subplot.

The Office was good too, even playing pregnant, Rashida Jones is nice to see.

• Damn...Caddyshack AND Muppets Take Manhattan get a shoutout?! Hell yeah!!

• Damn...Caddyshack AND Muppets Take Manhattan get a shoutout?! Hell yeah!!

AND Monty Python!

I want to go to there!

• What kind of cake do you want imbecile?!

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    im sorry i accidently roofied you

• i missed this last night, was jon hamm funny? i caught him recently during sf sketchfest with zach galifianakis and others

• I'm a big Office fan, but the episode post-Super Bowl was terribly disjointed. It's like they took 4 storylines that couldn't carry a half-hour episode on their own and put them all in one hour-long episode. Dwight setting fires/cutting off the CPR dummy's face, Pam's parents splitting up, the ridiculous Jack Black/Cloris Leachman movie, and Stanley's heart attack.

I enjoyed last night's ep, though.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    "And now, the music of Tito Puente and pictures of cute Latin kids"

What was the context of the imbecile line, I remember laughing pretty hard at that.

Mad weird seeing dude from Mad Men out of his 60's character, we just finished both seasons last month, and my girl had no idea who he was until 20 minutes in...

• What was the context of the imbecile line, I remember laughing pretty hard at that.

Jim and Dwight missing Kelly's birthday, they apologize and ask how they can make it up, she says something about how no one should ever have to go through the pain she's been through or something like that and then Dwight says the imbecile line.

I am feeling the proposed return of Holly.

Also looking forward to Stringer Bell joining the cast. I was going to link the Variety article about it but I get a bunch of pop-ups and crap on my comupter.

There was a bunch of great lines int he episode after the SB but I was pretty stoned and can't really remember them, the whole episode did seem a too busy though.

I like 30 Rock's ode's t tv shows they've been doing. Their ode to telenovelas last night was good, but I could've done without the cheap stereotype humor like scratch off tickets and other crap, although the latin kids and Tito Puente was funny.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Ha, yeah I said to my girl, did he just say imbecile?? But I was thinking it was during 30 Rock, also herbals related, thanks gv.

Speaking of which, I actually don't mind the broad-stroke Jenna jokes, shes a great character. The real question is does it seem to anyone like they are slimming down the ensemble? Where's the Jimmy Fallon dude, the secretary, and all the writers? Cost cutting-related maybe?

• Speaking of which, I actually don't mind the broad-stroke Jenna jokes, shes a great character. The real question is does it seem to anyone like they are slimming down the ensemble? Where's the Jimmy Fallon dude, the secretary, and all the writers? Cost cutting-related maybe?

Funny you bring her up, 'cause Jenna (and Tracy) got scaled back last night as well! Well, Tracy did have a subplot, but he wasn't a presence like he always is. And Frank always miraculously pops up just when you think he's totally gone (he's such a goof that there is way too much comedy gold to be mined from him).

As far as ensemble comedies, I haven't seen Sunday's Office - yet - so I missed Stanley's heart attack, but I was thinking he should get more plot lines. Kevin (who was barely visible last night at all), Meredith and Creed are best as secondary folks who are good for a joke or two, but I'd like some more insight into Stanley's world.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    anyone else think two-fer is a weak as hell character on 30 rock? its like they couldnt be bothered to put in an effort to make him funny, so maybe its not his fault. and i personally think the fallon character guy was underused, he did some great impressions. jenna's my fave character (and i hated her originally, i guess its cause i always think of her in ally mcbeal or something) but jenna cracks me up when she breaks into song and sings into people's faces. griz and dot com are great. i never get tired of kenneth, despite how obvious his character is. jack's brownie weiland smitherseque secretary is great, i never pictured such a role for a brown guy, as it has nothing to do with his ethnicity(except for the time jack mistook him for m. knight shamalam lmao). tracy is proper, i love the aburdity of his world. i'm tired of the nerd in trucker hats, doesn't do much for me.

with regards to the recent episode, baldwin was amazing. i totally forgive him for calling his daughter a "thoughtless pig", in fact i'd probably laugh if i heard him say that, because dude's delievery is on point. tina fey is hot as hell, i used to drool over her on weekend update. i'd hit on her, put she'd probably turn me in to the fbi when im really training for amazing race.

anyhow, 30 rock is my new arrested development, i wish it much success.

• anyone else think two-fer is a weak as hell character on 30 rock?

Every nutcase needs a straight man to make them look nuttier. That's Twofer's gig.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    anyone else think two-fer is a weak as hell character on 30 rock?

Every nutcase needs a straight man to make them look nuttier. That's Twofer's gig.

i think that was or was supposed to be the case in the beginning, but i think kenneth fills that role or is at least a better contrast with tracy. don't get me wrong i think two-fer would have had great potential, but his character is too weak, i mean u can do a lot with an intellectual, like Brian the dog from family guy...or Black Frasier(lmao that was one of the best cutaways ever) but two-fer is just too one dimensional.

• anyone else think two-fer is a weak as hell character on 30 rock?

i think that was or was supposed to be the case in the beginning, but i think kenneth fills that role or is at least a better contrast with tracy.

I couldn't call Kenneth a straight man, because his freak flag is flying high for all to see. I think "contrast" is the better word, and pairing him with weirdo Tracy brings out the best in both men.

Twofer doesn't really play off of Tracy that much - there may have been an episode or a scene where Twofer the buppie oreo is thrown in a situation with Tracy the psychotic brother from the hood, but the writers don't lean on that. Twofer is usually teamed up with nerdy Frank (and sometimes Jenna). There's no kind of depth to his character, you're right about that, but in small doses, his reactions to Frank and Jenna hit the mark.

don't get me wrong i think two-fer would have had great potential, but his character is too weak

I could say the same thing about Lutz.

30 Rock doesn't handle all their secondary characters as well as The Office does. You might go weeks without seeing much of The Office's Stanley, but he never out-and-out disappears like Lutz, Twofer and that one male actor (not Tracy) on Jenna's show.

• "And then we can go to McDonalds and order only coffee..."

• Also looking forward to Stringer Bell joining the cast. I was going to link the Variety article about it but I get a bunch of pop-ups and crap on my comupter.

Also, Holly was on the Wire too, and she and Omar were both in Gone Baby Gone as well. Seems like they migrate in pairs.

Speaking of Wire actors making moves, did anyone catch Fringe the other week. First off, Lance Reddick (Cedric Daniels) is a regular on the cast, but the episode with brain melting featured Chris Partlow as a computer geek AND Frank Sobotka as the villain.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Speaking of Wire actors making moves, did anyone catch Fringe the other week. First off, Lance Reddick (Cedric Daniels) is a regular on the cast, but the episode with brain melting featured Chris Partlow as a computer geek AND Frank Sobotka as the villain.

Wow, Chris AND Frank? Nice one!

I also saw that Seth Gilliam (Carver) is on one of the many Law & Order shows.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    [i]What is this? Horseville??
    'Cause I'm surrounded by naysayers!

WORDPLAY!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    From The Office:

"Can't you see I'm urinating?"[/b]

There was NOTHING wrong with last night's episodes. Both were funny as burning hell, although it did seem like on 30 Rock they were trying to tone down Tina Fey's sex appeal so all the "Liz Lemon: homely" jokes would make more sense...

I want to see the world through Kenneth's eyes.

b/w

Idris Elba flashed back to his "I'll punk yo ass for saying some shit like that!" confrontation with Poot for a second there. Good times.

Things are gonna get real good with Idris Elba (Charles) around. To be THAT unlikeable on a show filled with assholes takes some doing!

And I'm looking forward to seeing Ryan at his new place of work with his blond dye job...

I love how Liz walked like a muppet even when she wasn't a muppet.

And...

[i]"When do I get some Tang? Also, I'm Thirsty.

WORD PLAY!"

I'm half-tempted to see if that fake TV commercial from 15 years ago (Liz Lemon for some sex chatline) is actually on Youtube...

I'm half-tempted to see if that fake TV commercial from 15 years ago (Liz Lemon for some sex chatline) is actually on Youtube...

I wouldn't doubt it. That was funny as heck, btw.

Things are gonna get real good with Idris Elba (Charles) around. To be THAT unlikeable on a show filled with assholes takes some doing!

I've seen several other folks point out that Charles is sorta like Frank Grimes was on The Simpsons: A dose of the real world. So the conflict is between the little world that The Office has and a "what would happen if an actual manager walked into this situation?" sort of thing. And the actual manager would probably be pretty much like Charles. I like the way they're playing it.

The "Wordplay!" jokes on 30 Rock were killing me.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I love how Liz walked like a muppet even when she wasn't a muppet.

Dude stop, I'm lizzing!!!

When Jack brought in the deaf person to read lips and he throws up in the video, oh man.

• I'm usually an Office apologist, but I didn't like last night's episode. I don't buy for a minute that Michael would quit, and I really don't buy that Pam would join him.

And as much as I like Idris Elba, who is Charles supposed to be? It all felt too out of left field for me.

And Angela is into him? Really?