AP vs. Fairey

13»

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All I know is if I was a photographer and a political group that I didn't agree with used one of my photos in the same fashion to promote their cause I would want very dime of the money they raised with my image.

Photographers are getting very paranoid about their copyrights, anyone who using images without permission in a high profile manner better get ready because getting photo rights is going to be like getting samples cleared before too long.

Copyrights are an 18th century idea. Get over it.

Nah, I disagree, and I suspect if your main source of income came from copyrights you owned, then you would too.

There's certainly something to be said for making copyright clearance of all kinds more easily obtainable and perhaps less prohibitively expensive. Nonetheless, I can't say I think there's anything wrong in people asking what they consider a fair price to use their shit, whether it's an image, a sample, a lyric or whatever. Basically, the internet has fucked up the money - far too many people now believe that, if it's on the web somewhere, then it's copyright-free and fair game. Wrong.

That doesn't alter the fact that bitching about someone stealing something off you, when you stole that something to begin with, is

Charge it to the game, and move on.

There are numerous problems with our copyright laws. I have said here before.

One is that in the 1700s it took a lot of time and expense to copy something.
    Today, our computers store every copyrighted image and sound we experience with out us having to make any effort or expense.

While I am on my high horse, the constitution says that congress will make laws; "To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries"

As the laws stand today they are not for "limited times" nor do they work to promote the arts.

I should just make a link to this so I don't have to type this out every few months when we have this conversation.

Yeah, we all know that these copyright laws are really put in place for corporations. I don't think many people would have problems if they didn't see that the general public is getting the shaft with all these extensions which are the workings of big business. I don't think the general public at large would have a problem if artist were 1) received most of the benefit of these laws and 2) Copyright was at a sensible length.

From Wiki -
    "The Copyright Term Extension Act (CTEA) of 1998 extended copyright terms in the United States by 20 years. Since the Copyright Act of 1976, copyright would last for the life of the author plus 50 years, or 75 years for a work of corporate authorship. The Act extended these terms to life of the author plus 70 years and for works of corporate authorship to 120 years after creation or 95 years after publication, whichever endpoint is earlier.[1] Copyright protection for works published prior to January 1, 1978 was increased by 20 years to a total of 95 years from their publication date."

Short vid on the European Copyright Ext.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Another example of how fukked these people are.

Congressman Buys Recording Industry Argument That Radio Is Piracy
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20090206/1538503680.shtml