Food Strut, post a pic of a meltface meal

DongerDonger 854 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
That tuna thread got me thinking about this awesome meal I had the other day in Jackson Heights. These two plates are just one order. Peep the rice and beans, surrounded by platanos and pork with a fried egg on top, and my empanada and avocado are on the steak plate, where the steak is so big it has to be folded in half to fit on the plate!This is an essential Colombian meal.Also the stuff I am drinking is called Refajo which is made up by mixing "Colombiana" (a champagne flavored soda), with beer. Tastes amazing, and after drinking a pitcher you have a mild buzz. My abuelita (grandma) drinks this stuff, she turned me onto it.After eating this meal I though I was going to have to be hospitalized.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what did you have for dessert? a wafer-thin mint?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    what did you have for dessert? a wafer-thin mint?

Flan.

No photo unfortunately. I couldn't believe we actually had dessert. Funny story, we sat there for so long digesting our food, that the management came over and gave us free dessert. We all looked at each other for a moment like there was no way in hell we were even going to consider eating that. Seconds later, that shit was gone.

• at Swett's in Nashville.

Ridiculously good ribs, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatos, sweet cornbread, fudge pie.

Chicken with the best stuffing I've ever had, sweet potatos, squash casserole, sweet potato pie, peach cobbler blackberry cobbler.

My girlfriend's cousin makes a real thorough bowl of phở

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Please let me know the next time this is happening, and I'll bring the

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    that pic was in Taiwan, I think Kenny fuxxed with some of that... not me tho!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

sweet. My daughter is going to love that pic.

• This was a shrimp moqueca I had with my wife at a restaurant on the beach in Morro de Sao Paulo (Bahia). It was beyond yummy.

Moqueca de Camarao
    (shrimp stew, Bahian style)

Serves 4

Plan ahead, the shrimp needs to marinate for 30 minutes.
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 to 2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pound fresh shrimp, shelled and deveined
    1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    Black pepper to taste
    1 cup thin coconut milk*
    1/2 cup thick coconut milk*
    2 to 3 tablespoons dende oil**

Make a marinade with lemon, onion, garlic, vinegar and salt. Marinate the shrimp for 30 minutes. Put mixture into a sauce pan and add cilantro, tomato paste and black pepper to taste. Add thin coconut milk and cook over low heat until the shrimp are cooked. Add the thick coconut milk and dende oil. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.

Serve with rice.

*Bottled or canned coconut milk can be substituted. Also see recipe.

**Dende oil is a palm oil high in saturated fat. It is available in specialty food stores.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• This was a shrimp moqueca I had with my wife at a restaurant on the beach in Morro de Sao Paulo (Bahia). It was beyond yummy.

that looks incredible and fun, and so does your wife's boob peeking out of the top right corner of your pic.
    just playin.
    it looks like a really incredible spot/meal.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I operate a blog dedicated to pork tenderloin sandwiches in Iowa. My dedication to these things cannot be underestimated:

Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich from Colony Inn in Ventura, Iowa

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• cascas 1,484 Posts

damn.

• Smother's day.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

'Scoe's Special #1. I have probably eaten that 100 times.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I get the whole chicken and waffle thing, but then again..I don't.

Do you wrap the waffle with the chicken like a taco. Dunk it in the ssyyyyruupp. Or just let be as is, and just eat them seperate?

• I operate a blog dedicated to pork tenderloin sandwiches in Iowa. My dedication to these things cannot be underestimated:

this sounds interesting. where is the blog?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I operate a blog dedicated to pork tenderloin sandwiches in Iowa. My dedication to these things cannot be underestimated:

this sounds interesting. where is the blog?

you need to holler at peruvian pork sandwiches