your favorite dj tools/crate staples

2»

Comments

• i always had great luck playing that record in texas.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    The record was a house classic, it's not really a "hip-hop crossover" record at all.... what kind of parties are you playing it at? I have certainly heard it in the Bay Area to good effect. I'm sure it does well in Chicago and other big house markets too. I wouldn't say it's an ny-centric thing, I'd say it's a "crowd knowing good music" thing. The average NY club head has heard a lot more and various music than those elsewhere, the loft/garage scene was that heavy and had so many different types of music going on with it. NYCers do not segment along house vs. hip-hop lines as much, so that's probably why it's felt more here.

As for being NYC-centric myself, all I can say is that if your crowd ain't feeling that record I feel sorry for them (and you), it's just THAT good. Love spinning it, love hearing it.

Yeah, poor me.

Truth told, I wasn't in the scene when it broke, I ain't THAT OLD.

These days, at least in the crowd I hang around, the record is a bit of a crossover, maybe it wasn't when it came out though.

The NYC-centric things was sort pent up aggro getting out- it seems like EVERY NY DJ thinks that what works there is WHAT WORKS, just IMO, not hatt.

One.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    i always had great luck playing that record in texas.

Well but you moved to New York. Clearly you are a CARPETBAGGEUR!!!

• awallawall 673 Posts
    initially this post wasn't supposed to mean "what are your top floor fillers" but that's a more interesting topic anyway. so for me it's:

what did you mean?

i was kind of shooting for the irregular dj tools angle.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if your crowd ain't feeling that record I feel sorry for them (and you), it's just THAT good. Love spinning it, love hearing it.

word

pal joey in effect

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    The record was a house classic, it's not really a "hip-hop crossover" record at all.... what kind of parties are you playing it at?

Wait, I thought about it, and the reason I mentioned cross-over is because countless hip hop djs (from ny methinks) talk about the power of that record like it's anytime, anyplace type ish. Like playing an MJ record or something.

OK, now its back to feeling sorry for myself.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The record was a house classic, it's not really a "hip-hop crossover" record at all.... what kind of parties are you playing it at?

Wait, I thought about it, and the reason I mentioned cross-over is because countless hip hop djs (from ny methinks) talk about the power of that record like it's anytime, anyplace type ish. Like playing an MJ record or something.

OK, now its back to feeling sorry for myself.

Honestly bro because (in my experience) it is. ANYTIME, ANYPLACE. Seriously. It gets that good of a reaction anywhere I've ever been. I mean, Supreme is from Seattle and he's the one that mentioned it in the first place.

And this is beyond NY, but again, your crowds may be different.