essential fives

VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
An idea that occurred to me reading the psych jazz thread. It would be a valuable soulstrut service for seasoned contributors to write up mini-motown style reviews with scans for the five essential records in a sub genre. Sort of like, hey little dude if you wanna really know psych influenced jazz here are the five top joints, with a little paragraph on the genre. The resources exist within the community. Guzzo for example could write up five best modern soul LPs; Rillz could write up the best of backpacker; soulmarcosa could do one on the essential reggae disco covers etc.. I thought of this because as I was reading the psych jazz thread, I realized I know nothing about any of those bands or records. The genre should not be too broad like Jazz, but rather hard bop, free jazz, fusion or smooth jazz. So that's my idea. Would be interested in what sub-genres you all think worth writing up and who you think should do it.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    An idea that occurred to me reading the psych jazz thread. It would be a valuable soulstrut service for seasoned contributors to write up mini-motown style reviews with scans for the five essential records in a sub genre. Sort of like, hey little dude if you wanna really know psych influenced jazz here are the five top joints, with a little paragraph on the genre.

I wrote a thread like this a few months ago entitled "Soulstrut essentials" or something like that. I'm sure it can be pulled up if you search the archives (or Reynaldo can pull it out his documenting files).

Long sotry short it got rolling atarted going kinda nice, then a bunch of NY Hatters starting shitting on the idea calling it really dumb.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    I came to the strut over two years ago because I was searching for information on a Solomon Burke record I just bought. I read all the reviews on the site first. I think a best of genre thread would be very helpful to the record world at large. And just based on hanging out here, it seems that there are enough people who know a lot about specific styles of music, that it could work.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    smooth jazz

1. John Tesh: "Sax on the beach"
    2. John Tesh: "Sax by the fire"
    3. John Tesh: "Sax in the back of a '73 GTO"
    4. John Tesh: "Sax in the gas station bathroom"
    5. John Tesh: "Sax in the gay bath house"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think a best of genre thread would be very helpful to the record world at large. And just based on hanging out here, it seems that there are enough people who know a lot about specific styles of music, that it could work.

Agreed although who best qualifies to lay their opinion down as to whats "essential"?

My old thread tried to get a community response. I know there are quite a few people on this site with tons more modern soul knowledge than me (Although I challenge anybody in the HAIR OST catagory). If this was to happen we would have to put it to a vote as to who gets to speak on what catagory, and even before that we gotta choose what the catagories are gonna be

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    I think a best of genre thread would be very helpful to the record world at large. And just based on hanging out here, it seems that there are enough people who know a lot about specific styles of music, that it could work.

Agreed although who best qualifies to lay their opinion down as to whats "essential"?

My old thread tried to get a community response. I know there are quite a few people on this site with tons more modern soul knowledge than me (Although I challenge anybody in the HAIR OST catagory). If this was to happen we would have to put it to a vote as to who gets to speak on what catagory, and even before that we gotta choose what the catagories are gonna be

Why do you have to have only one person per genre? Even if there is overlap, people will share different perspectives for why they enjoy a particular record.

"Guzzo's Five Essential Modern Soul Records"
    "Funky Guzzo's Five Essential Modern Soul Records"
    etc.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Problem is these just quickly become meaningless lists like the "Country Rock" thread, though while enjoyable, was barely about 'country rock' and more about folls(myself included) flossing that they had a Chet Atkins LP at one point, or that a jerry Reed LP they found was 'funky'.

So, if there is a specific genre you are trying to get some names on, drop it in a post and watch us scramble to outdo one another with 'mad knowledge' dropping.

Trying to get a consensus(and why is one required, one might ask)is a straight waste of time. Dull as store bought dirt.

smooth jazz

I'd like to see covers, especially of 3 and 5.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Why do you have to have only one person per genre? Even if there is overlap, people will share different perspectives for why they enjoy a particular record.

in that case we are pretty much talking about the ISH reviews

Maybe, but not everyone who does an ISH organizes it around a theme. Some people just share albums they're "feeling" for whatever reason.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts

Maybe, but not everyone who does an ISH organizes it around a theme. Some people just share albums they're "feeling" for whatever reason.

Agreed. So people should feel obliged to post the top five essentials for genres they are feeling. Would be interested in seeing lists for the following:

1) Easy-rock: Christopher Cross, Michael McDonald etc...
    2) New Jack Swing: Guy, Teddy Riley etc..
    3) Roller-boogie: Shalamar, Shannon etc..
    4) Slow jams: Dramatics, Chi=Lites
    5) Southern funk: Gaturs
    6) Mid-1990s indy rap
    7) Free Jazz
    8) Soul Jazz
    9) Southern Rock:
    10) prog
    11) post-punk
    12) Dub
    13) Roots Reggae
    14) neo-soul
    15) folk funk
    16) singer songwriter
    17) early house
    18) modern soul
    19) southern soul

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Rillz could write up the best of backpacker

1. Various Artists Soundbombing I[/b]

This album is incredible--it is the second best hip-hop mixtape ever to be committed to aluminum and nationally distributed!

2. Various Artists Soundbombing II[/b]

This album is incredible--it is the best hip-hop mixtape ever to be committed to aluminum and nationally distributed!

3. Various Artists Soundbombing III[/b]

This album is incredible--it is the third best hip-hop mixtape ever to be committed to aluminum and nationally distributed!

4. & 5. Yo, you are straight with 1 through 3, son![/b]

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    smooth jazz

dude - John Tesh plays piano. Get it right. And his greatest is Classical Music for Babies & Their Moms vol II

Know the ledge

• GNZGNZ 68 Posts
    I don't even want to think about John Tesh...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Problem is these just quickly become meaningless lists like the "Country Rock" thread, though while enjoyable, was barely about 'country rock' and more about folls flossing that they had a Chet Atkins LP at one point, or that a jerry Reed LP they found was 'funky'.

I was waiting for someone to make the call on that. That country-rock thread started out with a definite purpose, then somehow lost its focus and became a catch-all for people to name their fave classic rock bands or something.