edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Who does that??

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Who does that??

According to Whitelily, Animal Collective at the Troubadour in LA

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Who does that??

What's weird is that now I kind of work for Eric at Marvin(DJ-related), I have seen Thievery one time at a big free show, I have heard their CDs/Lps here and there, and I still couldn't describe what it is they do to my wife. Except that a lot of people love it.

What do you call Thievery, D***? Are they a band? A DJ collective? Performance art? Dance music? World music? Remix dudes? Alla the above?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    in DC

• no-one can package/appropriate vaguely mysterious story-within-a-story beats like these dudes.

see: oscillator
    see: focus on sight
    see: all that we perceive

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    these dudes put me to sleep. literally, in high school i would put them on if i was having trouble sleeping, and by the second track i would be OUT

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    in DC
    haha

corny 'tax dollars related' joke here

I have a couple of Thievery tracks on some comps here at home, and i remember when they were gettin some critic love when "Electronica" was a "hot" genre.

They never blew my mind, and i was all up in that "Downtempo" steez.

I have seen Zero 7 live.

• Never seen them, but I have heard their live show is some next level business. Tons of people on stage "worlding out" or whatever. They are larger than life in DC. I'd like to see them live one of these days.

Their first record was cool and they have put out some nice tracks here and there, but their sound is pretty dated, imo.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    These guys were mind-blowing downtempo music back in '97 when the "2001 A Spliff Odyssey" 10" was out. Their first live gigs back then were just a DAT tape with the two guys sitting down. The ESL didn't even have a sign in front of the club, it was just for people who knew.

Their second album onward had too many sitar samples. At some point they just hired a guy to play sitars. Its crass exoticism packaged as cutting edged music. They had some Caribbean guy toasting about Babylon on one album.

MTV2 had their collaboration with some classic DC musician, Chuck Brown, showing the video after a short film about the go-go scene in DC. Isn't it an indictment of them if they're only pumping Chuck Brown after collaborating with those dudes?

• The ESL didn't even have a sign in front of the club, it was just for people who knew.

still no sign, although most people know about it now. It's still a great venue, imo. They always bring in top notch talent and their Sunday house night is the my favorite party in DC.

pretty sure only one of the thievery dudes is involved with the club these days.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    people on stage "worlding out"
    I like the sound of this--tell me more...

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    They are one of the best at what they do, downtempo.
    I know they asked a DJ friend of mine here in Seattle to borrow a couple pieces
    of vinyl to put on the turntables while they were performing so they didn't look
    like posers, which they were, at least on that night.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I have seen Zero 7 live.

I have also seen such a thing.

Man, did that suck.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I know they asked a DJ friend of mine here in Seattle to borrow a couple pieces
    of vinyl to put on the turntables while they were performing so they didn't look
    like posers, which they were, at least on that night.

i dug that 2001 spliff track when it came out. i saw them live in Amsterdam years ago and it was a good show.

• They never blew my mind, and i was all up in that "Downtempo" steez.

Never liked them.

• Their live show has definitely improved over the years, and Eric Hilton is the first to admit that he's not a musician but a producer.
    A few weeks ago Eric was in my shop at the same time as Ian MacKaye and I reintroduced them to each other. For over an hour I was a fly on the wall as Eric and Ian talked about putting bands together, touring, future plans etc. They have different approaches in a lot of ways but they have both stayed local and stayed independent which not many folks can say.
    Thievery has done a lot to support DC music (including helping me open my store and employing a lot of my friends) so I have nothing but love for them. Not going to see them five nights in a row however.

I have seen Zero 7 live.

Man, did that suck.

They tore up the show I saw. 4 different vocalists.

• Sitar player perched on drum platform at eye level with the rest of the band is most definitely NAGL. How are these guys still around?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

A few weeks ago Eric was in my shop at the same time as Ian MacKaye and I reintroduced them to each other. For over an hour I was a fly on the wall as Eric and Ian talked about putting bands together, touring, future plans etc. They have different approaches in a lot of ways but they have both stayed local and stayed independent which not many folks can say.

That's pretty awesome!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I have seen Zero 7 live.

Man, did that suck.

They tore up the show I saw. 4 different vocalists.

zero 7 puts on a pretty dope show, mozez is a great vocalist. Their first album is still an end to end burner to me.

thievery on the other hand I never got.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    they are a good band. one day i will come to New York and see them.

ha, yes, as soon as you get off the plane at Newark.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Their live show has definitely improved over the years, and Eric Hilton is the first to admit that he's not a musician but a producer.
    Thievery has done a lot to support DC music (including helping me open my store and employing a lot of my friends) so I have nothing but love for them. Not going to see them five nights in a row however.

Are you going to any of the shows?

I saw them at the big anti-war concert that they organized on the mall a few years back, and I was actually quite surprised by their live show, it wasn't at all what I expected from what I had heard of their records. I still can't really categorize them, and I bet that probably pleases them.From the live show I saw, 'downtempo' wouldn't really be accurate.

• They've definitely branded a very distinct and successful sound for themselves (and despite whether you like their music or not you have to admit that it "sounds" really nice, the engineering and warmth of their recordings is pretty spectacular). What gets me is that their 'sound' has barely changed or progressed at all over the past 8+ years.. even their live band's set-list has virtually stayed the same. The whole thing has become kind of a cliche. And yet people are still bugging out and they're selling out shows like this. That's what blows my mind.

• saw them at the bowl last summer, sold-out crowd that night too, but we were there primarily for seu jorge and left in the middle of theivery's set. their music is alright to me, reminds me of watching MTV AMP on fridays (any one tape that show btw? would love to get a hold of that and liquidTV) but it also reminds me of characters like tim robin's character in High Fidelity, if that makes sense...

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I'm still into downtempo and shit like that, but I haven't checked for Thievery Corp in years. Once they went all worldy-sitar-psychedelic, I left them behind. I'm more of a Tru Thoughts guy now.

I can see them selling out a night or two in their hometown, but five days? That's impressive. They've completely crossed over to the Starbucks/granola crowd or something, because there were not downtempo fans like that 8 years ago. I'm glad someone in the genre is killing it on the level they are, even though I would probably consider their recent output mad snoozy.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    I'm still into downtempo and shit like that, but I haven't checked for Thievery Corp in years. Once they went all worldy-sitar-psychedelic, I left them behind. I'm more of a Tru Thoughts guy now.

TM Juke, Quantic, Diesler... all brilliant producers that are constantly moving forward and exploring new sounds.

I can see them selling out a night or two in their hometown, but five days? That's impressive. They've completely crossed over to the Starbucks/granola crowd or something, because there were not downtempo fans like that 8 years ago. I'm glad someone in the genre is killing it on the level they are, even though I would probably consider their recent output mad snoozy.

As a DC resident, it blows my mind too that Thievery can sell out 5 nights in a row at the 9:30 Club. But it is almost like DC folks get caught up in it, like seeing Thievery live is THE thing to do. Their only other local appearances are either at big outdoor festivals or benefit shows, so the relative intimacy of the 9:30 Club makes it a even stronger draw.
    IMO, over the last eight years, each new record is a further refinement of their sound, the only real sonic exploration comes from collaborations with their guest vocalists. I can see how some would consider it formulaic, more product than artistic output. And those big warm dub bass lines are definitely very soothing.

Their live show, however, is a whole different thing. Its evolved from the core duo playing with loops in front of a large backdrop back in 2000 to a rather massive live band experience with really incredible energy. The uptempo tracks become delirious dance fests and the under 90 bpm numbers become deep swirling psychedelic dub monsters.
    They're the real deal live.

It makes perfect sense that they have broad 'lounge music' appeal, but a crossover to the Starbucks crowd implies they've sold out. And they haven't. They're a fiercely independent label who've been embraced worldwide without being licensed to Hear Music. They get massive props for that.

• These guys were mind-blowing downtempo music back in '97 when the "2001 A Spliff Odyssey" 10" was out.

That's a good record... their later full lengths never compared.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I've heard of people who went from being blown away by the live perrformance to being bored with listening to the records.

The ESL lable has been hit-and-miss for me over the years. There was the Nicola Conte "Bossa Per De" 10", the Thievery Corp singles that I keep picking up, but loads of blah after that.

I have rated the output on Wonder Wheel records to be superior in their "eastern melodies and mid-tempo beats" category. Its from the same people who released the Turntables on the Hudson compilations. Did ESL hire away Nickodemus? His song with Quantic and the Candela All-Stars from the I-pod commercial squashes anything by Thievery Coproration.

• in DC

These guys might have helped.