OK, Who TF is Michael Steele..?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
and how TF did he just get selected as Chairman of the Republican National Committee?I need answers.

Comments

• and how TF did he just get selected as Chairman of the Republican National Committee?

I need answers.

1. Lt Gov of Maryland

2. I'll give you one guess...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    WTF? Did this really happen? Obvious pander move by Republicans to get black votes. Don't see it working.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    She's the bassist for The Bangles

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    1) Alan Keyes of the 00's
    2) Mad panderation

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Hilarious!

• 2) Mad panderation

You've got that one[/b] and we've got this one[/b]...

2) Mad panderation

I am incorporating this phrase into my daily verbiage.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    He is a Republican who worked his way up in MD politics.

He was elected Lt Gov in a mostly democratic state.

If I recall in MD you vote for the ticket. So you vote for governor/ltgovernor same as president.vicepresident.

The year he won was a republican year. The Dem candidate thought if she emphasized her middle name (Kennedy) she wouldn't have to do anything else.

If I recall correctly he only served one term, but was well liked.

He was repeatedly mentioned for Vice President and was connected in the Republican party.

I wouldn't call it pandering. The Republicans had a choice between him and the guy who was sending around Obama The Magic Negro song. No doubt they picked the more qualified candidate.

I'm sure some Marylander will fill in the blanks.

• Also helps make inroads into the Northeast Corridor...

• Any relation to Shelby Steele?

pka the author of "A Bound Man: Why Obama Can't Win"

• Bear in mind that the Republicans had to make up their minds quickly. There were other elections as well, and they had to be out of the hall by 5 - a wedding is coming in at 5:30.

True story.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I wouldn't call it pandering. The Republicans had a choice between him and the guy who was sending around Obama The Magic Negro song.

They also had the option of the guy who belonged to the whites-only country club.

Also, the Keyes comparison is a little bit unfair. Steele has his problems, no doubt, but unlike Alan Keyes, he isn't batshit crazy.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'd like to think Steele has something up this sleeve for the GOP...

This is kinda bugged.

I need some exercise.

• Not sure what exactly he could have up his sleeve.

I think the choice was the least of several evils and he's probably fairly competent and will help in finding the party's identity over the next few years.

But if you come at the king, you best not miss.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'd like to think Steele has something up this sleeve for the GOP...

This is kinda bugged.

I need some exercise.

More of Michael Steele's greatest hits can be found here (along with a bonus reference to The Wire.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Bear in mind that the Republicans had to make up their minds quickly. There were other elections as well, and they had to be out of the hall by 5 - a wedding is coming in at 5:30.

True story.

More stories of absolute failure coming out of the RNC, please. Keep us posted.

• Steele's first move, an effort to bond with the internet generation, has been to redub the party "TEH EPIC FAIL"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Bizzaro-Barrack.

The Republican nuts in Congress have drawn a line. They are saying we are going to be even more irresponsible than when we were in power.

But all the Republicans who lost their election want to change the out look of the party. They want to be seen as a serious alternative to the Democrats. Someone like Steele who is opposed to the death penalty, supports small business and boosts minority business, is a lawyer and understands how both government and party politics work, was a smart choice.

If you all noticed the color of his skin others will too.

Some will say; the republicans are inclusive and not racist.

Some will say; mad panderation.

If he does a good job you will rarely hear his name mentioned again in the next 4 years. Who is he replacing?

If he does a great job you will hear about him as much as you heard about Howard Dean.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Originator of the "drill, baby, drill" chant, I believe,

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Originator of the "drill, baby, drill" chant, I believe,

NAGLe like Lindsay...

• Frequently sits in for Sean Hannity on Fox.

Total f*ckin prick.

Danger.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    He is a Republican who worked his way up in MD politics.

He was elected Lt Gov in a mostly democratic state.

If I recall in MD you vote for the ticket. So you vote for governor/ltgovernor same as president.vicepresident.

The year he won was a republican year. The Dem candidate thought if she emphasized her middle name (Kennedy) she wouldn't have to do anything else.

If I recall correctly he only served one term, but was well liked.

He was repeatedly mentioned for Vice President and was connected in the Republican party.

I wouldn't call it pandering. The Republicans had a choice between him and the guy who was sending around Obama The Magic Negro song. No doubt they picked the more qualified candidate.

I'm sure some Marylander will fill in the blanks.

basically he was a smiling black face that the Republicans used to put a street-friendly spin on then-governor Ehrlich's aggressive cuts into social spending. his racial utility to the party couldn't have been more blatant: during the campaign in Baltimore city and PG County (DC suburb with large Af-Am population), the signs read "Ehrlich/Steele" and in the countryside they just said "Ehrlich." campaign appearances followed the same pattern, natch.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Frequently sits in for Sean Hannity on Fox.

Total f*ckin prick.

Danger.

b/w

g o p nagl over the TN frontrunner dude who sent out that xmas parody cd ala rush-0

As a testament of the weakness and "disconnectedness" of the party, the real leader of the GOP right now is Rush Limbaugh. Time will tell if Republicans on the Hill actually heed his rants and reject Obama's stimulus package.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    By mad panderation, I wasn't doubting his credentials, I was doubting the honest choosing of MS based on his merits alone and Republicans not wanting to make a move to unveil the "new look GOP" in a post-Obama world.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Well spoken

As a testament of the weakness and "disconnectedness" of the party, the real leader of the GOP right now is Rush Limbaugh. Time will tell if Republicans on the Hill actually heed his rants and reject Obama's stimulus package.

Well the one in the House already have. 100%.

Either the Senate will follow suit or will load it down with enough pork and tax cuts to get it passed.

After what the house did, the Ds should just say we are taking the tax cuts and other sweeteners we put in for you out.

Saying'. Depending on what happens with the Senate and the stimulus package, the GOP will either be further marginalized and perceived as being obstructionist OR they'll be galvanized by defeating the Obama's stimulus plan.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    .msnbcLinks {font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 425px;} .msnbcLinks a {text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px;} .msnbcLinks a:link, .msnbcLinks a:visited {color: #5799db !important;} .msnbcLinks a:hover, .msnbcLinks a:active {color:#CC0000 !important;}

"We're gonna bring this Party to every corner, every boardroom, every neighborhood, every community, and we're gonna say to friend and foe alike...we want you to be a part of us, we want you to work with us, and for those who wish to abstruct--get ready to get knocked over!"

You, sir, are playing yourself.