Dear youth culture/hip-hop fashion expert....

Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Plaese to explain the trend of Pittsburgh Pirates hats being worn, at least atop the domes of Atlanta's male youth. I've been observing this for months and cannot for the life of me figure out why. The Pirates have become one of the sorriest franchises in the MLB, most Pittsburgh natives and ex-pats are only seen in Steelers, Penguins, Panthers or Nittany Lions gear, and Public Enemy hasn't been an influence on our youth for about 15 years now.Why?

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I assume you are talking about the all black New Era cap with the gold P on the front? I assume those joints are being rocked because they just look cool.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    This...

and with the alternate red visor

• Clasic logo. Don't think there's much more to it than that.

Clasic logo. Don't think there's much more to it than that.

That's classic. Oh well. It has just been a little bit confusing for me since I'm not used to rocking colors/logos for teams I don't actually root for.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I used to like wearing that Jim Palmer-era "smiling bird" Orioles baseball cap when I was younger because it looked cool. Ten years later, I sometimes see guys with O's throwbacks. They probably wear it for the same reason.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    It has just been a little bit confusing for me since I'm not used to rocking colors/logos for teams I don't actually root for.

Yeah, what a crazy thought. : ) It's my impression that average kid on the skreets nowadays doesn't even give a schitt about baseball, notwithstanding the prevalence of New Era caps.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I've also been wondering about that cursive W hat that Lil Wayne wears (used to wear?) that kids are buying up. I got no clue as to what team or area the W stands for.

I strictly rock Twins fitteds with the exception of one from STA that was too buttery to leave on the rack.

• I've also been wondering about that cursive W hat that Lil Wayne wears (used to wear?) that kids are buying up. I got no clue as to what team or area the W stands for.

I strictly rock Twins fitteds with the exception of one from STA that was too buttery to leave on the rack.

Washington Nationals?

I've also been wondering about that cursive W hat that Lil Wayne wears (used to wear?) that kids are buying up. I got no clue as to what team or area the W stands for.

Washington Nationals?

Still got no idea why someone from Chicago would want to rep the Nationals.

• I've also been wondering about that cursive W hat that Lil Wayne wears (used to wear?) that kids are buying up. I got no clue as to what team or area the W stands for.

Washington Nationals?

I would think that weezy reps Weezy, you know?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

What century are u dudes in.

Dudes have been wearing sports gear outside their region for a long ass time.

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE.

So only people BORN & RAISED in CHICAGO can wear JORDANS?

• So only people BORN & RAISED in CHICAGO can wear JORDANS?

no, because nike manufactures them, so the only people who can wear jordans and say they are keeping it real have to be from both Chicago and Oregon.

michael jordan and his immediate family get a pass, but cousins and distant relatives have to follow the oregon/chicago rule.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Uhh, maybe it's just the neighborhood I live in, but I would think the black and gold color combination has something to do with it...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The P Is Still Free.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    I rock a Pirates hat but really have no interest in baseball. My last name is Pinkerton so I just view it as my own personal team. Go me!

• ScottScott 420 Posts

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE.

Note the hats:

• This...

and with the alternate red visor

definitely need to get one of those.

TEH P IS FOR PHONICZ

• The P is for LITTLE MISS PERFECT

• The P is for "PLASE TO GET OFF NUTZ KTHNXBAI"

• The P is for "PRECIOUS TENDERBERRIES"

• The P is for "PILLAGING BLOGS FOR MP3'S"

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I rock this P:

and indeed it's still free...
    I just wish I could flatten the muthafuskin bill to it.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I understand the separation of the hat wearer from the region of the sports team, but can there be a separation of of the hat wearer from the team itself? If you rock a certain team's hat because it looks cool but you couldn't care less about the team, is there some sort of funk being faked there?

I'm not a sports fan at all, so me rocking any team's fitted, including ones from my home town, seems inauthentic. Well, maybe not Chicago teams, but that's it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I understand the separation of the hat wearer from the region of the sports team, but can there be a separation of of the hat wearer from the team itself? If you rock a certain team's hat because it looks cool but you couldn't care less about the team, is there some sort of funk being faked there?

I'm not a sports fan at all, so me rocking any team's fitted, including ones from my home town, seems inauthentic. Well, maybe not Chicago teams, but that's it.

You have no eye for fashion!

• My P of choice:

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE.

Note the hats:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Please

style >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> outmoded concepts of fandom

What century are u dudes in.

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE.

So only people BORN & RAISED in CHICAGO can wear JORDANS?

Easy killer. I just think it's funny that in a town with a crazy heated rivalry like the Cubs/Sox someone would choose to rep a team that's completely unrelated to the city.

My .02

Easy killer. I just think it's funny that in a town with a crazy heated rivalry like the Cubs/Sox someone would choose to rep a team that's completely unrelated to the city.

My .02

Quite easy if you're not from that city. I live in Atlanta but I am not a Thrashers fan. I'm a Penguins fan because I'm from Pittsburgh originally. So, I don't rep Thrashers colors. If I lived in Chicago, I sure as hell wouldn't be repping any of those teams just 'cos I moved there.What I don't get is repping athletic teams for the sake of fashion over fandom. If you like somebody's color scheme, become a fashion or graphic designer and come up with your own shit.

My .02

Quite easy if you're not from that city. I live in Atlanta but I am not a Thrashers fan. I'm a Penguins fan because I'm from Pittsburgh originally. So, I don't rep Thrashers colors. If I lived in Chicago, I sure as hell wouldn't be repping any of those teams just 'cos I moved there.What I don't get is repping athletic teams for the sake of fashion over fandom. If you like somebody's color scheme, become a fashion or graphic designer and come up with your own shit.

Right, I'm in the same boat. Being a Twins fan in Sox territory makes me hate em that much more. Wearing a Nationals hat because it matches your shoes and Weezy wears one is kinda sheist if you ask me. But who am I to judge?