DC Strutters: Fatback?

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Heard mixed things about these parties... although most of the negative seems to be from people that haven't ever bothered attending. So what's the Strut consensus? Worth checking out?

Comments

• Dude is a bit hairy for my tastes.

• Dude is a bit hairy for my tastes.

but I hear he has the whole black jazz catalog.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Dude is a bit hairy for my tastes.

Terd.

• they have been doing really well, but I haven't been myself (I am usually DJing that night). I don't THINK they go too deep with it, but it is supposed to be a fun night. I think there are like 6 or so DJs so I am sure they vary in style and skill quite a bit. I'm not aware of any of them playing out elsewhere in the past few years (at least consistently).

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

Terd.

different Fatback

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    they have been doing really well, but I haven't been myself (I am usually DJing that night). I don't THINK they go too deep with it, but it is supposed to be a fun night. I think there are like 6 or so DJs so I am sure they vary in style and skill quite a bit. I'm not aware of any of them playing out elsewhere in the past few years (at least consistently).

Thanks for the info.

Where/what are you spinning on Fridays?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Terd.

different Fatback

I know. Frank's still a terd.

• I know. Frank's still a terd.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    He rocks a baby bjorn.

• they have been doing really well, but I haven't been myself (I am usually DJing that night). I don't THINK they go too deep with it, but it is supposed to be a fun night. I think there are like 6 or so DJs so I am sure they vary in style and skill quite a bit. I'm not aware of any of them playing out elsewhere in the past few years (at least consistently).

Thanks for the info.

1st Friday I am usually at Napoleon (hits)
    3rd Friday is Dirty Bombs w/ Me & Deep Sang @ Wonderland (Hiphop, disco, house, reggae, etc)
    4th Friday I am @ Saint Ex (classics & hits)

do you live in DC?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    they have been doing really well, but I haven't been myself (I am usually DJing that night). I don't THINK they go too deep with it, but it is supposed to be a fun night. I think there are like 6 or so DJs so I am sure they vary in style and skill quite a bit. I'm not aware of any of them playing out elsewhere in the past few years (at least consistently).

Thanks for the info.

1st Friday I am usually at Napoleon (hits)
    3rd Friday is Dirty Bombs w/ Me & Deep Sang @ Wonderland (Hiphop, disco, house, reggae, etc)
    4th Friday I am @ Saint Ex (classics & hits)

do you live in DC?

I live in Richmond, but I'm in DC frequently. I'll make a note to check out the Dirty Bombs night one of these days.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

I haven't been either because I am usually DJing next door at the more Strutter-friendly Marvin, but I get reports.
    Because of the sheer number of DJs under the Fatback name (like 6 or 7?), they're a little promotion machine and have a huge following and lots of good press from the Washington Post, etc. Their parties are packed with sweaty young dancers, but as far as the "funk, soul, boogaloo" tag line, I ain't seeing it.
    They may dig a little deeper for their downloadable mixes, but at their parties they fall back on the all-too-typical Baltimore house and 80s selections.
    Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that and I know they're good guys, but if you're hawking funk, soul and boogaloo, play funk, soul, and boogaloo! Leave the Baltimore club & 80s terds at home.

BTW, Delay played with them last month and didn't have a positive experience. There's a thread around here somewhere if someone wants to post (I rarely have success with the 'Strut thread searches)...