What kind of music do 14-18 year olds like?

2»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    im kind of joking

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    You want some stuff that the kids are listening to but isn't on top of the Billboard pop charts or whatever, because like somebody else mentioned, with the internet these days there are groups who become popular with teens without necessarily making much noise commercially. Also, teens these days tend to like a lot pop punk stuff. To people my age that meant Green Day and the like, but now kids are listening to groups that grew up on Green Day. So, here's some groups you could check out:

3Oh!3
    Cobra Starship
    Metro Station
    Say Anything
    All Time Low
    Tokio Hotel
    Paramore
    Jack's Mannequin

Honestly, you could check out the lineups for the Warped Tour the past couple years and get some ideas too because a lot of those bands are the bands teenagers listen to now. I think if you mix in some of this stuff with the more mainstream pop and rap/R&B you should be good to go.

Damn, I've never heard of any of those bands, and I thought I was pretty plugged-in.

This kinda reminds me of a festival I was at about five/six years ago. My kid brother was tm'ing a band that featured a couple of guys I knew from Liverpool back in the day, so I went along to see them. They didn't pull a huge crowd or anything, but it was evident that everyone gathered round the stage was a fan and knew their songs and all that. Anyway, the moment they finished their set, swarms of young kids - mostly around the 14/15-y-o mark, and all rockin' that asymmetric haircut/baggy jeans/keychain/Vans skatepunk look that was the thing a few years back - began to congregate around the stage in anticipation of the next act so, while I was waiting for my brother to swing by, I thought I'd hang out and see exactly who was on next, because it seemed as if they might be something of a big deal. By the time the band took to the stage, there was a huge crowd of these kids waiting for them; easily five or six times as many as was there for the previous act. Within seconds of them starting to play, shit was going right off. Full-on moshpit madness, crowd-surfing, kids diving over the crush barriers and running back into the pit with wild-eyed, "let's do that again!" expressions all over their grills (and these were just little bits of kids, too, boys and girls). I just stood and watched/listened, kinda bewildered. The band had a female guitarist/singer out front who looked a little like Fairuza Balk, but the music was (to me) fairly generic thrash-punk/hardcore. Anyway, our kid shows up and I ask him who's playing. He says, "Oh, that's the Distillers". I'd never f*cking heard of them. Yet the mere fact that all these kids were completely bang into their shit made me realise that, try as I might to stay in touch, there's quite obviously whole entire scenes and sub-scenes that the young'uns are involved with, and that I have not even the slightest degree of familiarity with or knowledge of. It was at that point that I felt very, very old...

• This thread was tailor made for Faux Rills' input....

When's the last time you posted anything about music?

who cares?

you angry little man, you!

I care. I take this serious.

But seriously though, Faux_Rillz just quietly shat on your whole soulstrut career by dropping more relevant musical knowledge in one day than you have all year. Not that you even clicked on the thread.

Well, at least thanks to Gary we have a window into how 14-18 year olds act online.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    This thread was tailor made for Faux Rills' input....

When's the last time you posted anything about music?

who cares?

you angry little man, you!

I care. I take this serious.

But seriously though, Faux_Rillz just quietly shat on your whole soulstrut career by dropping more relevant musical knowledge in one day than you have all year. Not that you even clicked on the thread.

Well, at least thanks to Gary we have a window into how 14-18 year olds act online.

Feel better now?

• NOT UNTIL YOU ARE PUSHING A BROOM AT THE LOCAL ARBYS.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Faux_Rillz just quietly shat on your whole soulstrut career by dropping more relevant musical knowledge in one day than you have all year. Not that you even clicked on the thread.

What thread was this?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    the internet made music awesome for me but made everyone else's tastes shitty

---------------thnaks!

• Faux_Rillz just quietly shat on your whole soulstrut career by dropping more relevant musical knowledge in one day than you have all year. Not that you even clicked on the thread.

What thread was this?

Fania Gold Label Thread

I mean, I don't even know why I care. Daniel hasn't spent much time on this site in months, but folks talk like he took their cookies last year and they're still mad about it. As a matter of fact that is a good way of putting it!

I'm not one of these CAN WE TALK ABOUT MUSIC AGAIN PLAESE dudes but it's just kind of wild... the monkeys run the zoo now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Faux_Rillz just quietly shat on your whole soulstrut career by dropping more relevant musical knowledge in one day than you have all year. Not that you even clicked on the thread.

What thread was this?

Fania Gold Label Thread

I mean, I don't even know why I care. Daniel hasn't spent much time on this site in months, but folks talk like he took their cookies last year and they're still mad about it. As a matter of fact that is a good way of putting it!

I'm not one of these CAN WE TALK ABOUT MUSIC AGAIN PLAESE dudes but it's just kind of wild... the monkeys run the zoo now.

Hah! I never really understood the Faux-inspired awe/hate. Dudes are shook because he knows a bit about rapps and whatnot and discounts their opinions.

Anyway, perhaps it's time for the Return of the Jedi?

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    around la, these jr high kids went crazy for that last avril lavine (sp?) single. although, you should be able to spin whatever is on top of the billboard 200 easy.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    They like music that doesn't even exist yet.

• Thanks everybody! This thread made me realize that I really am getting old. Well, I'll just wait for a list from the kids and base my set around that. That billboard thing might come handy too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What thread was this?

Ignore him--he seeks to defame me.

A real world move-maker such as myself doesn't talk about music on the internet.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    They like music that doesn't even exist yet.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Don't forget to play Fergie

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Jerry Lee Lewis and Gary Glitter related