Sayerstrut update

PunditPundit 438 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Leo Sayer proves his love for Australia by taking out citizenshipArticle from: The AustralianSINGER-songwriter Leo Sayer still has star power, outshining Kevin Rudd today as he finally made his love affair with Australia official.The British-born musician was the centre of attention at a citizenship ceremony in Canberra this morning. Sayer, 60, who moved to Australia in 2005, was one of 60 people who became citizens at the Canberra ceremony. "This is better than being number one," said Sayer, whose hits included You Make Me Feel Like Dancing and More Than I Can Say. "It's the best day of my life." Sayer said he first visited Australia more than 30 years ago. "I think a lot of people know I love this country and always have done," he said. Sayer was among the most famous faces of the 13,000 people from 120 countries who were to mark their first day as Australian citizens at picnics and cricket matches across the country this Australia Day. ???Australia Day is a chance for all Australians to enjoy our nation's special day, and celebrate being part of such a wonderful country,??? federal Citizenship Minister Chris Evans said in a statement. ???Becoming an Australian citizen shows commitment and loyalty to this country and a desire to share a common future.??? Senator Evans said that 2009 marked the 60th anniversary of Australian citizenship. Since 1949, more than four million people have chosen to become Australian citizens, he said. ???This year marks an opportunity for us to reflect on the changes that have shaped our nation over the past six decades, and a chance for all Australians to understand the role citizenship plays in building a strong and unified nation,??? he said. - with AAP linkHappy Australia/Invasion Day and Chinese New Year everyone.