Winning Bid = Maximum Bid?!?!!?

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
How the hell does this happen? If a record is at 9.99 with 20 second to go and I put the maximum bid at $36.61, how the hell does it sell for $36.61. Is there a way for the seller to inflate the price? This is happening to me more and more.

Comments

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    This was happening to me awhile back. Sounds like there's a new version of e-peek on the market.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    because a snipe comes in at 3 secs for $35?

Conspiracy?

• Nah, I know how that goes...I just think it's fishy that my maximum bid was a abnormal number like $36.61 and it just so happens that the winning bid was $36.61. Just sayin'

• I have had something similar happen a few times on things I won in the past. I think it's just a weird glitch in the system having to do with snipes. Nothing at all to do with the person selling the item.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    How the hell does this happen? If a record is at 9.99 with 20 second to go and I put the maximum bid at $36.61, how the hell does it sell for $36.61. Is there a way for the seller to inflate the price? This is happening to me more and more.
    What was the second highest bid?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm assuming it has to do with the bid increments and your max bid being in between them. I don't remember what the increment amounts are (it feels like years since I bought anything off ebay) but if its $2 at that price level, and the next highest bidder had $35 as their max, then yours would end at $36.61 b/c that's closest to the next bid increment.

Or I could be completely wrong.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I'm assuming it has to do with the bid increments and your max bid being in between them. I don't remember what the increment amounts are (it feels like years since I bought anything off ebay) but if its $2 at that price level, and the next highest bidder had $35 as their max, then yours would end at $36.61 b/c that's closest to the next bid increment.

Yeah, that's how I understood it too.

• How the hell does this happen? If a record is at 9.99 with 20 second to go and I put the maximum bid at $36.61, how the hell does it sell for $36.61. Is there a way for the seller to inflate the price? This is happening to me more and more.

it's because the earliest max bid wins, so if you put the weird number in , as was stated the bid increment won't go up, so they had a 37 dollar bid but not enough to outbid you. so they won the tie breaker at your price.

blah blah blah..

• Nah, I know how that goes...I just think it's fishy that my maximum bid was a abnormal number like $36.61 and it just so happens that the winning bid was $36.61. Just sayin'

• plaese to explain this "e-peek"

• Some weird shit like that happened to me like one month ago. I wanted to post about it back then, but I never got around to do it. It is not quite the same that happened to me, but if anyone know what deal is - please share.

I saw an auction for a 45. It had no bids, the starting price was $7.99, I type $18 as my maximum and imidietly after the price goes to $18. I checked the bidding history, and my bid was still the only one. My bid was placed like three days before auction end, and it remained the only bid.

How the hell can this happen? No e-snipe or nothing involved.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I bought a bolex for $350 that had not even broken $200 by the final seconds. And it had me as the winner with another bidder also bidding $350 at the final second.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Some weird shit like that happened to me like one month ago. I wanted to post about it back then, but I never got around to do it. It is not quite the same that happened to me, but if anyone know what deal is - please share.

I saw an auction for a 45. It had no bids, the starting price was $7.99, I type $18 as my maximum and imidietly after the price goes to $18. I checked the bidding history, and my bid was still the only one. My bid was placed like three days before auction end, and it remained the only bid.

Only makes sense to me if there was a reserve involved.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    plaese to explain this "e-peek"

Its another SS joke about a program or website that allows you to see what a reserve is set to... or any other info related to an auction... its not real, yet...

• there wasn't.....

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Some weird shit like that happened to me like one month ago. I wanted to post about it back then, but I never got around to do it. It is not quite the same that happened to me, but if anyone know what deal is - please share.

If you hadn't yet met the reserve price, then that's what happens.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sounds like there's a new version of e-peek on the market.
    plaese to explain this "e-peek"

I use it daily. Setec Astronomy.