Beirut, LB

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I am going to be taking an opportunity to visit a friend that is currently going to school in Beirut, Lebanon. Has anyone been there? Anyone know of any digging spots, music spots, anything like that to check out? I've asked him, unfortunately he hasn't had time to do much searching. Can anyone school me on Middle Eastern music in general? I???ve heard a bit of the Lebanese artist Fairuz, otherwise I???m not familiar with anything from that part of the world.

Comments

• The last couple of times I was there, I couldn't find a single store that sold used records. There are always bazaars to be found, and if you ask around and tell people what you're looking for, they might bring you some wax. Otherwise, there's virtually no demand for LP's out there, so you'd be hard pressed to find any. Good luck though.

• Keep a look out for Oum Kalsoum (or however you wish to spell it) records. She was Egyptian, I think, but you can probably find her records anywhere in the Middle East.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    anything by the Rahbani Brothers. should be some good french records there too.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Thanks for the info, anyone else have anything?

• There used to be pressing plants. Some of the Ethio stuff was pressed in Lebanon but I would be surprised if Francis Falcetto didnt try to look into that.

I didnt find anything when I was there back in 04 but I also didnt have a lot time because of work.

Peace,

Dress