81st Oscar Nominations

2»

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    lol. it does. I will prolly peep, but am in no hurry to do so.

I guess City of God struck me as a similarly hyped movie that was visually stylish and had a hip cultural aspect to it, like Slumdog. and yet it left me with the same empty feeling you seem to be describing Slumdog as having left you.

Well, I didn't think "City of God" was a masterpiece. But believe me, it will seem like one compared to "Slumdog" which so much more saccharin.

Also riding this wave.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I'm not surprised about Slumdog. I don't think it's deserved but whatever; it's not like I think the Oscars are some kind of infallible arbitrator.

I do hope either Rourke or Penn win.

I thought SlumDog was incredible, what didn't you like about it?

What did you like about it? Everyone keeps talking about how it's this "best movie!!!" but all I saw was a pleasant, stylish but pretty damn thin fairy tale using a really laughable conceit and featuring adult actors who have zero chemistry or real depth.

The kids were cool though.

To me, "Slumdog" was a less bleak, more candy-ass version of "City of God."

I thought Boyle's direction and the pacing of the movie were brilliant. I've never been to Mumbai, but Boyle seemed to capture the energy and mood of the city perfectly. I agree that the most of the actors in the movie were amateurish, particularly the lead dude. But at bottom, I was thoroughly entertained -- which to me is the mark of a good movie.

Oh yeah forgot one thing - FREIDA PINTO!!!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't think Slumdog was a shit movie. It's not like I walked out in the middle, demanding my money back.

But the amount of praise heaped upon it is so utterly out of whack with my impression of it that I'm just slightly incredulous at the love affair it's earned. I'm not knocking you for loving it - diff't strokes, diff't folks and all that - but I definitely don't think it belongs anywhere near a "best picture" nod.

It may just be my taste in filmmaking - I'm not big (normally) on hyper-active directing and Boyle excels at it (to enjoyable degrees; I certainly liked "Trainspotting") but compared to something like "Milk", where I thought Gus Van Sant exercised a quietly precise and slick directorial craft or "The Wrestler" which was pretty much polar-opposite of what people expect from Aronofsky - with its almost verite-like atmosphere, I just found "Slumdog" all sound and fury and signifying near nothing.

There were some great scenes though - the opening out-house scene was trademark Boyle and I hated myself for enjoying it (but I did). And the Muslim/Hindu violence was pretty intense. But once the kids aged and it was the adults, the film really lost my interest, esp. given the absolute lack of chemistry b/t the romantic leads. Given that the entire film is driven by their pre-destined union, it's not good when you aren't remotely convinced these two people could even hold a dinner conversation let alone be meant for one another.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    As per usual thanks to the time it seems to take to get a film to cross the Atlantic I haven't seen any of the nominations for best picture yet but, to be honest, I can't remember the last time the list was that uninspiring.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    As per usual thanks to the time it seems to take to get a film to cross the Atlantic I haven't seen any of the nominations for best picture yet but, to be honest, I can't remember the last time the list was that uninspiring.

Which movie do you think deserves a Best Picture nod?

Which movie do you think deserves a Best Picture nod?

Well that's kind of what I'm saying - while I've enjoyed a fair few movies this year I haven't exactly been blown away and am struggling to come up with much from Hollywood apart from the big blockbusters. The panel always put one "quirky" movie in there and this time round it's Slumdog Millionaire which I again hold my hands up and admit I haven't seen yet but looks like a pleasant enough feel good movie but one lacking anything particularly special.

I've just realised Slumdog is also an adaptation so you have three novel adaptations and two biopics (one of which is a recreation of a filmed event) making up the list. It's all very worthy but promises little actual movie enjoyment.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    film is dead

don't throw dirt on the coffin yet - there's a whole world out there beyond Hollywood

• there's a whole world out there beyond Hollywood

I'm saying! Like Mumbai!

• Too bad 3 6 Mafia didn't write any songs for film this year...I'd love to see them again.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i haven't see a lot of them either, but i'm gonna try to see slumdog, benjamin button and the wrestler now to see what the hubbub is about. honestly, the last two seem like a chore. benjamin button because it means almost 3 hours of brad pitt, and the wrestler...well, i really don't like darren aronofsky movies at all and i have a good idea what's in store if this one has that signature overwrought aronofsky touch.

i haven't see a lot of them either, but i'm gonna try to see slumdog, benjamin button and the wrestler now to see what the hubbub is about. honestly, the last two seem like a chore. benjamin button because it means almost 3 hours of brad pitt, and the wrestler...well, i really don't like darren aronofsky movies at all and i have a good idea what's in store if this one has that signature overwrought aronofsky touch.

Yeah I'm going to probably go watch Slumdog next week as it looks like a nice piece of escapism for January, nothing more nothing less. I enjoy David Fincher films in general but whenever I see anything about Button it fills me full of dread. I think given the right role Pitt can put in a good performance but this looks like it's full to the brim with "Acting" so I expect mumbles, tics, pointless quirkiness in his performance that are going to make me uncomfortable in the extreme.

I'm interested to see The Wrestler but I get the sense that it's an OK movie with a great performance by Rourke basically playing himself and in that respect I'd really rather go and see JVCD.

I'd watch Milk but it doesn't seem to be doing anything very special - seems like Van Sant's playing it safe.

I'm absolutely full up on period doomed love stories so will happily skip The Reader.

I've watched the Frost/Nixon interviews, they were interesting in themselves but the dramatisation of Frost with boxing analogies etc is just too farcical for me to take seriously.

Maybe I'm just spoilt by last year's selection.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I want to see The Class, The Visitor and Revanche and that's about it.

Anyone see Frozen River? Any good?

• the visitor was great
    the movie is very uplifting and I was glad that dude's performance got him nominated.

• My girlfriend's family friend's film "Nerakhoon: The Betrayal" was nominated for best documentary feature. Really poignant and really well done documentary about a Lao family's experience fleeing their country for America right after the Vietnam War. Crazy to see it go from a film festival film all the way up to an Oscar nomination.

http://www.thebetrayalmovie.com