Should we be harnessing the 90's Now?

Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Sayin -The 80's thing has lasted for a minute. From copying beats,computer voices, teal and neon colors,etc.the cycle continues - In the 70's it was the 50's- Happy Days,Sha-Na-Na, Grease80's - the 60's - Eddie Brickel....90's the 70's - Neo-Soul00's the 80's - Mom jeans,Planet Rock remakes...2010-2020 - the 90's - ???

Comments

• its already happening.

• its already happening.

any obvious musical examples?

I figured by the end of the decade the influences start to shift, but I cant come up w/ any except maybe bad re-issues of sneakers that herbs wore.

and would that mean "Modern Soul" will take a back seat to New Jack Swing?

• Watch the 1st episode of beverly hills 90210 (may have been the pilot ep even) when brenda has a fake id and hits up some club and hooks up with Maxwell Caulfield and i swear the music they're playing in there sounds a helluva lot like a plethora of songs being heard today!! beat wise....

• New jack swing is already here.

I think rock will reflect the 90s a lot.

Punk will too... well late 80s early 90s...

I think everything moves in cycles and subcycles... so its a lot more complex than just the 20 years rule.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I've already taken my Hyper-Color T-shirts out of storage.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Watch the 1st episode of beverly hills 90210 (may have been the pilot ep even) when brenda has a fake id and hits up some club and hooks up with Maxwell Caulfield and i swear the music they're playing in there sounds a helluva lot like a plethora of songs being heard today!! beat wise....

BAN + EVICTED!!!!

• Booooooooooooo!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The funky thing is, as far as fashions go, just from reading old magazines and watching TV shows from that period, not much has changed!

The only 1990's shows that look drastically different are the ones from the EARLY '90s, like Fresh Prince wearing his goofy-looking hip-hop clothing, or the big-hair women on 90210, or how "preppy" everybody seemed to dress on the first few seasons of Seinfeld. But after you pass 1994...not a hell of a lot of difference between then and now.

(And please don't start talking about "the grunge look," 'cause flannels and ripped jeans could have come from anytime...they don't SCREAM '90s like Fresh Prince does.)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't think the 80s revival is over yet.

Forward thinking record collectors should start picking up 90s 12" R&B singles now. If you need any let me know.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't think the 80s revival is over yet.

Forward thinking record collectors should start picking up 90s 12" R&B singles now. If you need any let me know.

U got that R.Kelly & The Public Announcement Single where he talks about dating a 17 year old?

• The funky thing is, as far as fashions go, just from reading old magazines and watching TV shows from that period, not much has changed!

But after you pass 1994...not a hell of a lot of difference between then and now.

No kidding. And that's 15 years. Yet compare the mere 10-year spans of 1966-1976, 1970-1980, and 1975-1985. Majorly different in terms of music, movies, fashion, etc.

• i always thought "love in this club" and "whatever you like" and some other songs of the day are going back to 90's mainstream club jams along the lines of DJ Sammy "just like heaven"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'll be directing a shot-for-shot remake of Reality Bites starring
    Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers, with a cameo by Winona Ryder as
    Miley's character's Mother and Ethan Hawke as the obnoxious TV host.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The funky thing is, as far as fashions go, just from reading old magazines and watching TV shows from that period, not much has changed!

But after you pass 1994...not a hell of a lot of difference between then and now.

No kidding. And that's 15 years. Yet compare the mere 10-year spans of 1966-1976, 1970-1980, and 1975-1985. Majorly different in terms of music, movies, fashion, etc.

There was WORLDS of difference between 1975-85.

Yet, the passage between 1985-95 seems more like five years than ten.

Yes, some things changed, some things became passe, there was turnover like youd expect, but the change wasnt rapid, like say, 1969-79.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    That's because of the American popular renaissance that led to unprecedented originality. When you're style-biting, it ain't art, babe.

• plenty of 90's-era hip-hop club nights these days.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    plenty of 90's-era hip-hop club nights these days

With what's on offer now rap-wise, is it surprising? Or are these nights just catering to 30-somethings re-living their youth?

I remember chuckling when the people on DJHistory compiled a definitive list of the top 50 'Balearic' records; I pointed out that bar two exceptions, they were all from an 8 year period from 1978 to 1988. Some of the people were honest enough to admit it's simply what they were listening to in their heyday/youthful-prime, best drug/sex/party experiences etc, and that sound is for them what they always look for in music old or new.

I think the 90s have shaped what I like for the same sort of reasons - a mix of Nirvana & RATM (beer); rave/house/techno/jungle (pils); trip-hop, ambient electronica and rare groove (spliff + SNES); Hendrix, the Doors, Floyd, and Led Zep (getting all deep and profound on acid); Soul music BBE/BGP comps (Quagmire); hippedy-hop (cross-fader mistakes)... I find that sample based-music is one of my favourite oeuvres as it can get a little bit of influence in from all over. Were the 90s the golden-age of sampling? Can any particular style sum up the 90s the best? (please, UK heads, no cries of "Brit Pop")

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    plenty of 90's-era hip-hop club nights these days

With what's on offer now rap-wise, is it surprising? Or are these nights just catering to 30-somethings re-living their youth?

I remember chuckling when the people on DJHistory compiled a definitive list of the top 50 'Balearic' records; I pointed out that bar two exceptions, they were all from an 8 year period from 1978 to 1988. Some of the people were honest enough to admit it's simply what they were listening to in their heyday/youthful-prime, best drug/sex/party experiences etc, and that sound is for them what they always look for in music old or new.

I think the 90s have shaped what I like for the same sort of reasons - a mix of Nirvana & RATM (beer); rave/house/techno/jungle (pils); trip-hop, ambient electronica and rare groove (spliff + SNES); Hendrix, the Doors, Floyd, and Led Zep (getting all deep and profound on acid); Soul music BBE/BGP comps (Quagmire); hippedy-hop (cross-fader mistakes)... I find that sample based-music is one of my favourite oeuvres as it can get a little bit of influence in from all over. Were the 90s the golden-age of sampling? Can any particular style sum up the 90s the best? (please, UK heads, no cries of "Brit Pop")

BRIT POP

AND FLACCID JAZZ

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Obama is the new Tupac.

• "neo rave" would be the best example

fluo-dressed kids harnessing the heritage of acid house.. they think. although what they're dancing to doesn't sound much like Phuture or A Guy Called Gerald to me.

Take that sh*t to John Harris (rockist journo related)

"neo rave" would be the best example

fluo-dressed kids harnessing the heritage of acid house.. they think. although what they're dancing to doesn't sound much like Phuture or A Guy Called Gerald to me.

Actually, I've been thinking that guitar bands have taken lessons form dance music and are harnessing the 90s as we speak. A lot of music made by bands tries to sound as metronomic and four-to-the-floor as possible, despite the fact that these were the very traits that many a rockist complained about during dance music's heyday in the early-mid nineties.

And I'm not just talking DFA/LCD Soundsystem; more traditional guitar bands like The Strokes.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    John Harris is around number 2 or 3 in my list of journalists I would most like to cuff round the head.

Music wise, the ever decreasing importance of the record charts means that it's harder to pinpoint general trends than ever before.

Actually, I've been thinking that guitar bands have taken lessons form dance music and are harnessing the 90s as we speak.

John Harris is around number 2 or 3 in my list of journalists I would most like to cuff round the head.

A typically heinous crime in terms of taste and deceny was perpatrated by Harris a couple of months after James Brown died: Harris wrote an article on CiF claiming JB's influence was over-blown and his music no good to dance to. I think this was just a cynical move on Harris' part to get plenty of replies in a vain effort to prove that his opinion is still topical/legitimate. The fact that he has no qualms about offending people only adds to his status as a wanker of the highest order.

Music wise, the ever decreasing importance of the record charts means that it's harder to pinpoint general trends than ever before.

...the charts we have now are closer to those of the 1970s and 80s, when hits were genuinely, enduringly, unifyingly popular, rather than transient blips. Downloads not only pushed total single sales to an all-time high in 2008, but have enabled a return to pop songs that stay around long enough to define their times, albeit at the cost of the busy variety of the past two decades

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/22/top-40-music-chart

I don't follow the charts at all now, just added that in case it means anything.

If we heard a song in the charts that really said the 90's-are-so-hot-right-now, would we even recognise it? When did the nineties finish?
    Would a 90s revival only be possible if it started by people too young to remember what they were actually like?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    ...the charts we have now are closer to those of the 1970s and 80s, when hits were genuinely, enduringly, unifyingly popular, rather than transient blips. Downloads not only pushed total single sales to an all-time high in 2008, but have enabled a return to pop songs that stay around long enough to define their times, albeit at the cost of the busy variety of the past two decades

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jan/22/top-40-music-chart

I don't follow the charts at all now, just added that in case it means anything.

If we heard a song in the charts that really said the 90's-are-so-hot-right-now, would we even recognise it? When did the nineties finish?
    Would a 90s revival only be possible if it started by people too young to remember what they were actually like?

Yeah to be honest I never check the charts and get most of my feed of chart music from the music channels so I'm not really in a position to argue with the article. Plus I'm old and disconnected anyway. My original point, though lazy and not really thought through, was that, since the mid nineties, there seems to have been a major drop off in young people using music to define themselves. The EMOs apart, the easier access to music of all types seems to have encouraged people to have a wider range of tastes than they may have had previously.

Therefore, since grunge and rave, there doesn't seem to be this either/or situation anymore which may help explain why there isn't really a mid to late nineties sound.

However, I have nothing to back this up and am probably wrong.