NRR: anybody able to get me a vehicle title??

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
i need some help here peoples.ive been working hard on one of my bikes for a long time, i finally pretty much had it finished, and took it out for a test ride.i didnt have it titled and it got impounded. i have the VIN number, model, everything you would need.now i need a title to get it out, and no, bills of sale dont work in iowa.if anybody is tight with somebody in the DMV, or is good with this stuff, PLEASE let me know if you could help out. this whole thing is keeping me from getting to san francisco soon.thanks!!!

Comments

• "The owner of the vehicle will properly complete a Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle Application. If the lost title reflects more than one person on the face of the title for ownership then all owners must sign the Replacement of Iowa Certificate of Title to a Motor Vehicle Application."

I suppose this is assuming previous owner had it titled. DMV should be able to check the VIN and see chain of title.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Yeah, I would check the Iowa DMV website to see what the policies are, or even call them. I've lost my title to my car before, and was able to get it replaced. Of course, there they had record that it had been titled to me before. Seeing if they can check the VIN for previous titles is a good idea.

• in Chicago for mopeds you go to a place where they can notarize a bill of sale (currency exchange for example) with all the info on the moped and your friend who gave it to you as a gift, and when they notarize that you can take it to a DMV and get a title

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    yeah, ive tried everything in iowa. i asked if they could help me track the bikes previous owners, but they told me they cant release that information.

i wish things were simpler here, even the bill of sale trick doesnt work, if you only have one, you have to get a bonded title and the process takes like 2 months to complete. no good for me.

if you have any pointers or anything, or think you could help me out (if, for example, you live in a state where titling mopeds is a breeze) please PM me or reply, or email me!

thanks!

• Find the shop where all the 1% dudes get their bikes worked on. Some dude with a leather vest, ponytail and large pregnant belly will have an answer.

Maybe your insurer might have some ideas.

Is there a CARFAX service in the motorcycle/moped world? I doubt it, but maybe.

IDT lists this # 'VEHICLE TITLES & RECORDS'
    515-237-3049 - Local Des Moines
    Title Searches