david bowie appreesh

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
seriously.whiskey + laundry folding + heroes = classic materialplaese to pontificate.

Comments

• genius.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    who wants to do a shot and put on scary monsters?

*raises hand*

yes.

• One of the GOATs

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i heard a 'let's dance' baltimore remix recently that made me throw up a little bit.

• Have love love loved since i was a lil tacka and 1st heard his stuff!! Have actually had sorrow on repeat over the last 2weeks!!
    & Ashes to Ashes still manages to entice goosebumps....fo real, all up my legs!
    And he was my 1st "man crush" as a youngster despite the blonde mullet & codpiece he was rocking in the labyrinth.....much prefered his look in into the night!!

Anyway- day or night he is the ish!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,894 Posts
    His appearance in Ricky Gervais' "Extras" as himself was really funny.

I guess we have forgotten his nazi-salute. I think that was done as a dark joke rather than a Freudian insight.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    One of the GOATs

Bowie is one of my mother's favorite musicians, so I grew up listening to him.
    She thinks he is super dreamy and rides for almost all his catalogue from late the 60s to present day.
    Dragged me to see the Ziggy movie when I was just a wee one.

While I'm not as big a fan as her, I definitely co-sign on GOAT status.
    So many excellent songs and a big influence on many people, not just musically.

Re: Heroes - "Wir Kinder Vom Bahnhof Zoo" is mandatory viewing in schools here (DON'T DO DRUGS, KIDS), so that song has a special connection to that movie for me. Made a big impact when I saw that as a 12-year old. And funnily enough, the Berlin period wasn't that well represented in my mother's D.Booey section.

"Fashion" is one of my favorite disco-rock tunes. Love Fripp's guitar on that.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Saw him live when i was 12. (kim Wilde was supporting, uuaaahh) Left an everlasting impression. Definitely one of the G.O.A.T.'s. I partially ride for all of his catalogue, meaning there's a few songs from every era that I enjoy thoroughly. Even his super pop phase was great material. "Station to Station"? Damn...
    Hell, I even ride for this late 80's cocaine rock stuff he did...2nd album is doodoo though...

• I've been listening to Iggy Pop's The Idiot on repeat for the last two weeks.
    Even though it's not a Bowie album, he's ALL over it. Every time I listen to that album I think about how damn ahead of his time dude was. And the shit he did with Lou Reed is mind blowing too!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I heavily ride for everything he released in the first ten odd years of his recording career (apart from Aladdin Sane) but after that it's pretty patchy at best. Late seventies early eighties there were still a few tunes that shined through the shit.

Sadly I can't really think of a single song he's released in the last twenty five years that I really liked apart from perhaps the one over the Lost Highway credits which was similar to the Earthling album except for the crucial difference that it didn't make me want to smash the CD and then gouge out my ear drums with the broken fragments.

The man's a legend though not only for his own music but his production work as well.

• The Hunger

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    similar to the Earthling album except for the crucial difference that it didn't make me want to smash the CD and then gouge out my ear drums with the broken fragments.

I ride for Bowie.

even though it has been overused in movies, commercials and the like 'Heroes' still gives me goosebumps.

Legend. NO DOUBT.

• he's probably my all time favorite rock-dude. i'm alway checking out new stuff--whether it is actually "new," or just new to me--but in the end, i always come back to bowie.

• I ride for everything up to and including 'Diamond Dogs'. After that the forecast is mostly meh with occasional flashes of inspiration.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The Bowie episode of Flight of the Conchords was by far the best.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I'm in the middle of turning my old ipod into a portable karaoke machine with a deep library and I was so excited to find a karaoke version of Starman on the torrents recently. What a great song to drunk sing to.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I ride for everything up to and including 'Diamond Dogs'. After that the forecast is mostly meh with occasional flashes of inspiration.

Just within the last month I purged everything post-Aladdin Sane except for Low and Heroes.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Hunky Dory.
    Hunky Dory.
    hunky Dory.

I ride for everything up to and including 'Diamond Dogs'. After that the forecast is mostly meh with occasional flashes of inspiration.

Just within the last month I purged everything post-Aladdin Sane except for Low and Heroes.

No Lodger?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The Bowie episode of Flight of the Conchords was by far the best.

I pissed my pants when they first aired that, pretty much sold me on the show.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

No Lodger?

It was tough cause there's a couple tracks I really like on 90% his records but ultimately I could not get through both sides of it.

No Lodger?

It was tough cause there's a couple tracks I really like on 90% his records but ultimately I could not get through both sides of it.

I hear that. It's the weakest of the Berlin trilogy by a hair I'd say (although I know some people actually prefer it best of the three), but Eno ultimately keeps it on the right side of the fence for me.

• Saw him live when i was 12. (kim Wilde was supporting, uuaaahh) Left an everlasting impression. Definitely one of the G.O.A.T.'s. I partially ride for all of his catalogue, meaning there's a few songs from every era that I enjoy thoroughly. Even his super pop phase was great material. "Station to Station"? Damn...
    Hell, I even ride for this late 80's cocaine rock stuff he did...2nd album is doodoo though...

I love Bowie, "Hunky Dory" is one of my all time fave LPs...

as far as Tin Machine related...Reeves Gabrels has been playing little bar gigs here in Memphis every once and awhile...and whoa son, serious jaw dropping guitar playin'...dude is just in sweat pants and some sandals with socks and shreddin the F*ck outta it. One of the greatest guitar players I have ever seen...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Have love love loved since i was a lil tacka and 1st heard his stuff!! Have actually had sorrow on repeat over the last 2weeks!!
    & Ashes to Ashes still manages to entice goosebumps....fo real, all up my legs!
    And he was my 1st "man crush" as a youngster despite the blonde mullet & codpiece he was rocking in the labyrinth.....much prefered his look in into the night!!

Anyway- day or night he is the ish!!

If you see Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth (couldn't finish the shit myself), you'll find out that Bowie with the codpiece should be much more to your liking.

Additionally, Bowie's Heathen has some strong moments. "Slow Burn" is a favorite late, late Bowie song.