Anyone convert VHS to their cpu????

FunkyFlatulentFunkyFlatulent 1,106 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I know there's a million tutorials on this but it's mostly sites selling a product and they're all kind of different.I'm just wondering whose preserving their VHS tapes?I'm totally cpu illiterate so drop some hints if you're getting good results.I just bought some vhs tape cleaner on ebay, after that i'm stuck. I haven't used a vcr in so long.I'm on a pc (windows XP) - do you just use rca's or s-video or whatever it's called?

Comments

• I'm not too savvy with the tech-y stuff either. I use this, though:

Roxio - Easy VHS-to-DVD

You can use the same program and cables to convert VHS, Cassette, and Vinyl to your PC. $60 Not bad.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I have a similar product from Roxio and I almost always have a problem with the video going out of sync which stops the recording process. Clips less than 3 or 4 minutes are fine but recording anything longer than that has been impossible. I use a Mac. I can't recall if it came with PC software or not ... if so it may work better with dedicated software.

Anyway ... if you're going to be transferring a lot of VHS materials and you don't mind paying a bit more, I recommend using the ADVC110 from Canopus. It keeps the video locked in sync. A friend of mine uses one regularly (also with a Mac) and is able to transfer hours of video without a problem.

• you can either get one of the above stated converter boxes, or get a DVD/VHS combo component and record straight to a DVD-R

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I've been searching for a component or software that will do the job a 100%. I have plenty of Hi8mm tapes that are degrading as we speak, except the metal tapes, that I would like to transfer over to DVD. Sucks fastforwarding and rewinding on a video-cam, and plenty of schitt I want to show others on the interwebs.

• hmm.. yeah, see i got the windows xp media center so i know it CAN do this somehow, i just never bothered to figure it out. I'll have to read the book.

and like was said, i see SO many out of sync videos or "small videos" where they're not normal size and bad quality. I wonder how those guys at meaningofdope do it. They get good results for 20 year old tapes. Thanks for the info guys.