Samplers for Lil'Dudes

CBearCBear 902 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
So, those Exile videos inspired me, and I've been feeling a little lackluster in the creativity department lately. I'd like to try my hand at it, but don't want to invest a lot. Can anyone recommend something basic I might find on craigslist, or did anyone just upgrade and have an old one to sell? I'm not trying to get a crazy complex one, and I'd like to spend less time on the computer, so I don't care too much about computer interface. I just want to be able to put together some basic songs from record samples. Suggestions?

Comments

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Having owned both a MPC and a SP I can safely say the most fun I ever had was with this:

Electribe S

Cheap and gritty and pretty user friendly onve you get the hang of it. Actually thinking about picking another one up now...

• I don't think that Korg allows you to program live, like an mpc, it's more like programming an 808. Correct? That's not as fun.

• What is your price range?

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    I don't think that Korg allows you to program live, like an mpc, it's more like programming an 808. Correct? That's not as fun.

You can record/play it live it just has some limitations (like the quantizing, which is not that subtle). It's great for messing around with sounds though, the effects and delay are really unsubtle - great for mutilating sounds but probably not everyone's cup of tea. It also has a SP-style sound when sampled at faster speeds and pitched down (not comparable but similar). Overall it's really fun for the +/- $150 it usually goes for second hand.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    What is your price range?

I just like good deals, and don't want to lose too much money if I decide it's not for me. As long as I can go that route, I don't really care how much I drop. Maybe $500? Is that unrealistic?

• cop a black 1k on the bay, there going for around that much.
    its the best bang for your buck unless u can find a 2k in that range

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Thanks SoutStrut! I'll check out all the above options. Keep recommendations comnig if anyone else has any more.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    You can pick up a Yamaha SU700 used for around $250. Simple to use and way fun. Saving to floppies can be a little tedious if you sample too much but other than that it's great.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Got an offer for a MPC2000. Is that the right direction? Overkill?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    No overkill at all, just a bigger more tedious learning curve.

Boss' Dr. Sample line is the way to go if you ask me. I've had a 202 for about 9 years. Its an easy piece of equipment to get acclimated with. However, you'll need to sequence on something else. But, the newer versions--303 and 404--might have sequencers.

202 goes for around $150.

Get yourself a decent pair of headphones also if you don't already own a pair.