Previously unreleased

JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
The coming "Bullets Don't Have Eyes" 45 by Eddie and Ernie on Daptone sub-label Ever-Soul got me thinking that there's some amazing music being released, that nobody got to hear at the time it was made. I'm looking for recommendations on stuff that might have slipped by me. Here's a few to start.Final Solution: Brotherman OSTThis Numero Group release is probably the best Blaxploitation soundtrack ever made for a movie that was never made. Pure group soul magic.The Family Undergound: S/TThis Nola band only got to release one 45 during their career, if I'm not mistaken. Judging by this LP released a couple of years ago, they should have been huge.The Meters: Good Old Funky MusicThis 1990 release by one of the greatest bands ever features unreleased music from their early years. The highlight to me is the beautiful ballad called "Heartache".

Comments

• People seem to be too drunk to give love to my record related post. Well, business as usual around here I guess.

• A few albums that comes to mind are:

Formerly Vitamin E. Superb album. It's a shame that it never got a release back in the day, but it would have been even worse if it had never come out. It came out around 2000.

I never heard this from start to end, but the tracks that I heard are amazingly good. Also released on the Fer label. I don't have much info other than that it was recorded in the 70s and only released on the 2000s. Maybe someone know more about it.

70s album that wasn't released until 1989. Has some great songs, and it's not a cheap one anymore.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Picked up that brotherman release based on how good don't stop tap records was. Its alright. The Final Solution arn't the greatest group but its interesting hearing a snapshot of music that might have never ever been heard. The imperfections of the recordings also add character to the overall sound of the record

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

SAMMY CAMPBELL - HOLD ON TILL TOMORROW - DEMO SOUL 45"
    http://homepage.mac.com/claymovie/ec_sammycampbell.mp3

SAMMY CAMPBELL - SUGA, WOULD YA / CRAZY ABOUT YA - USA Original - HOLLYGROVE
    http://www.recordmania.net/media/music/SLN52866A.mp3

BOBBY CUTCHINS - LEAVING - USA Original
    http://www.recordmania.net/media/music/SLN59405A.mp3

TOLBERT - I'VE GOT IT (UNRELEASED 12" VERSION) - JAZZMAN
    http://www.recordmania.net/media/music/SRN59311A.mp3

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

There were a couple of unreleased ones on this comp, one of which is a disco joint that slays my dancefloors every time.

• Some 7"-sinlges that never got a release back in the day.

I don't have links for these, but they are really good too.

Al Williams "Try Them"
    Sam Dees "Fool Of The Year"

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    People seem to be too drunk to give love to my record related post. Well, business as usual around here I guess.

Don't take it personal. I started a thread with the exact same topic some months ago and got the silent treatment too:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rt=1&PHPSESSID=

Since then, I've bought that Eugene Blacknell, and it's excellent.
    Haven't gotten around to the Charles Wright set yet, mostly because it looks like it only came out on CD (or am i mistaken?).

These two come to mind:

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

Great song, but chirst almighty it deserves a proper video. This looks like something Spike Jones would have tried to get away with.

• Darondo and JC Davis...

Dress

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Haven't gotten around to the Charles Wright set yet, mostly because it looks like it only came out on CD (or am i mistaken?).

Yeah - CD only. I don't think Rhino Handmade does vinyl?

I'm biased of course, but they're great packages.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

especially the addition of radio commercials to some of the previously released albums...more compilations should have those!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There's some choice demos on this album here that Sly Stone did with Billy Preston, just prior to forming the Family Stone...evidently the two men were supposed to form a band called the Sons of Ray (in homage to Ray Charles), but it didn't really work out...in the meantime, the songs heard here are like a cruder version of the rock-soul fusion that they would both go on to do separately: soulish vocals, awkward Dylanish lyrics, and music that is garagey enough for a Nuggets compilation. Good stuff.

Not everything on here is previously unreleased; hell, not everything on here is by Sly (although he did produce all the songs/artists on here). But it's a good album overall, and the tracks with Billy Preston are totally out of nowhere. Recommended.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

especially the addition of radio commercials to some of the previously released albums...more compilations should have those!!

The BGP Dyke and the Blazers comp "We Got More Soul" has KGFJ Phoenix promo spots, for-the-first-time-ever full-length versions of the classics, plus 14 unreleased tracks. A mind-blower that is a MUST for all Arlester Christian fans.

And the sound is among the best ever for a soul reissue.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Thanks for the recommendations, people. A song I think is a bit overlooked is "Don't get discouraged" by UPC All stars that came out on a Soul Cal 12". It's amazing but it feels like it came and went kind of unnoticed.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks for the recommendations, people. A song I think is a bit overlooked is "Don't get discouraged" by UPC All stars that came out on a Soul Cal 12". It's amazing but it feels like it came and went kind of unnoticed.

Awesome song.

• A few albums that comes to mind are:

Formerly Vitamin E. Superb album. It's a shame that it never got a release back in the day, but it would have been even worse if it had never come out. It came out around 2000.

I never heard this from start to end, but the tracks that I heard are amazingly good. Also released on the Fer label. I don't have much info other than that it was recorded in the 70s and only released on the 2000s. Maybe someone know more about it.

70s album that wasn't released until 1989. Has some great songs, and it's not a cheap one anymore.

Never heard about any of these, I need to check them out when I get the opportunity. Pieces of Peace LP and JC Davis "Shelly" are essantial as well. Thank you people!

• Billy Garner "brand new girl" 45 is also great...

Dress

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    Michael Yonkers

• Thanks for the recommendations, people. A song I think is a bit overlooked is "Don't get discouraged" by UPC All stars that came out on a Soul Cal 12". It's amazing but it feels like it came and went kind of unnoticed.

Awesome song.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on this!