Apple laptop battery question

leftybanksleftybanks 165 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
My G4 battery is functionally dead but Apple charges a f*cking grip to replace them ($129!) Anyone ever buy a replacement battery off from a 3rd party reseller? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    My G4 battery is functionally dead but Apple charges a f*cking grip to replace them ($129!)

Anyone ever buy a replacement battery off from a 3rd party reseller? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Depending on which G4 u are having, ask for a free replacement in your local apple store. A few months ago - by accident mind you - the girl in the shop told me: "oh, since there were some problems with the G4 batteries you might be entitled to get a new one on Apple's cost". I was like whoa and it turned out that certain laptops were entitled to get a new battery for free. My laptop was among them after she checked for the serial number. Apple of course will not tell you this, but you can ask them. I bought my G4 around early 06, so good luck. maybe you are also entitled to get a replacement (i live in europe though, dunno about the states).

• Damn - that worked! Thanks for the suggestion.

If anyone has a similar issue, check: https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    For further reference, there is not a cheaper 3rd party battery. My search turned up a lot of 3rd party batteries that cost $129. just had to bit that bullet. i got the free replacement about 2 years ago.