Graham Nash - Chicago 12"

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
I'm tired of looking for this and not getting anywhere. Does anybody have any information on the version of "Chicago" that came out on 12" ? I'm NOT talking about the LP version that appears on Wild Tales Songs for beginners.Thanks.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm not aware of an official version on 12". I do know that the original pressing of Songs For Beginners[/b] (the album that has "Chicago") is sought after by CSN (and occasionally Y) fans because the album was later remixed when it was released on CD. I believe the recent Deluxe Edition goes back to the original. There is an audiophile pressing of the album on Classic Records, but other than that, I don't know of anything else.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Yeah, I meant to say "Songs for beginners" not "Wild Tales".
    But there is a version that came out which was different that the LP or 45. It's got louder crispier drums in the intro. It might be a cover but I recall the vocals as being the same.

Yeah, I meant to say "Songs for beginners" not "Wild Tales".
    But there is a version that came out which was different that the LP or 45. It's got louder crispier drums in the intro. It might be a cover but I recall the vocals as being the same.

I wouldn't mind hearing that if anyone else knows more about it. I do know Graham Nash often did different mixes of his work. I don't know if the mix of "Chicago" from the CSN box set is any different either.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    There is a CD/DVD digipak version of this album that came out 3-4 months ago, with a re-mixed 5.1 track on the DVD disc. I have no idea what the levels are like. I'm almost dead certain that the OG single mix is the same as the LP mix. This being 1971 and regarding the fact that it's only 2:55 long, I don't think that a period 12" would have been issued. Even a blend with the "We Can Change The World" reprise mixed in would have come in under 4:00.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    This being 1971 and regarding the fact that it's only 2:55 long, I don't think that a period 12" would have been issued. Even a blend with the "We Can Change The World" reprise mixed in would have come in under 4:00.

I started to say.

This song would have come out well before 12" singles were even invented. And the track doesn't even seem danceable (most records in that format are meant for discos and the like).

I'm not saying this to clown anyone, and I'm not saying that they couldn't have remixed and released it that way it later on. (Didn't CCR have their 1970 version of "...Grapevine" issued as a 12", years after the fact?) But, logically for somebody like Graham Nash, this does seem unlikely.

I'm not saying this to clown anyone, and I'm not saying that they couldn't have remixed and released it that way it later on. (Didn't CCR have their 1970 version of "...Grapevine" issued as a 12", years after the fact?) But, logically for somebody like Graham Nash, this does seem unlikely.

Right, but I figured maybe it was released as one of those "warehouse" 12" singles you can find at Dusty Groove or something, not something official. You know, song becomes hot sample, someone decides to make a custom mix and white label it.

I was assuming that's what was being talked about (the possibility of one existed) and not an official one.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I figured maybe it was released as one of those "warehouse" 12" singles you can find at Dusty Groove or something, not something official. You know, song becomes hot sample, someone decides to make a custom mix and white label it.

Ah! The Aaron Fuchs route.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    And JP - you need an avatar, already!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    alright, how you like me now!

This song would have come out well before 12" singles were even invented. And the track doesn't even seem danceable (most records in that format are meant for discos and the like).

I perfectly agree with you on the fact that it was too early for them to release a 12" single since they didn't exist yet at the time. The only reason I even considered it as a 12" is because I remember seeing this a couple of years ago after I had already heard the alternate version on a compilation and that just sparked my quest for the 12".So maybe it is in fact just a cover version?

(Check 1:00 to 1:20)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I don't think thats a 12" in the video - just a 12" sleeve. And it doesn't look like the record is on Atlantic, either.

I was thinking it might just be an old school hiding the labels and cover type of thing. Otherwise it's just a cover version.

I've gone through the records on Allmusic.com looking for songs called Chicago and haven't found anything that makes sense.

I figured that's what it was referring to (the video, that is).

RCA disco sleeve:

No idea what the record is but it's definitely not Atlantic, although for a quick moment it did remind me of this:

If it is "Chicago", maybe it's on one of those "as performed by" albums, although it's possible we're only hearing one channel isolated.

EDIT: I created an MP3 of the excerpt in the video, in case anyone wants to pass it around. I posted it on another board in the hopes it might refresh someone's memory.
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/541800413ed55283/

Cool, thanks a lot Johmbolaya. That second 12" you posted seems to make sense. So maybe we are on the right path. (EDIT: this design is from the 80's whereas the song sounds like it's from the early 70's)
    I doubt it's one isolated channel cuz, as I mentioned, I had this on a compilation and the track was pretty much like that all the way through.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    thats from one of the pickwick super hits lp's from the 70's by kings road. i'm almost 100% sure it's vol.2, the version you heard was sampled by the westide conection on their last album (the single i believe).

peace,xavier

Thanks for the info!

Checked it out and it's not Super Hits 1 or 3. I'm still looking to see if I can get some information on vol 2.

• yo sons i heard the biz got a 12 inch chicago w/ no organ.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUPER-HITS-VOL-2-PICK...A1%7C240%3A1318

Do not B-I-N, you'll find this in a dollar bin in no time.

peace,xavier

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    the version you heard was sampled by the westide conection on their last album (the single i believe).

I knew I recognized that beat...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I remember talk of another cover of "Chicago" on the StrictlyBreaks.com forum maybe like five plus years ago. I remember hearing it in a mix and it was banging.

That is probably the version that's been discussed here. It came out on Strictly Breaks vol. 9 back in 2000 which is where I first heard it.

• who cares?