ENGLAND COUCH STRUT? (stupid american related)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
so here's the thing, i bought a ticket to travel europe for 3 weeks in april. i didn't really think things through. i saw a ridiculously cheap fare and impulsively bought it. However, even though my fare i cheap, i forgot that it's f*cking spring break time. most budget hotels i am looking at have sold out and I think I am too old and paranoid to do a shared room hostel situation this time around.so i am going to be in paris, london and barcelona in that order, about 5 days each. i'm covered for BCN and Paris, but London I will be traveling alone and it will be first visit for me. I don't know ANYONE in London or anything about the districts for that matter. Reality is starting to set in and I'm afraid the british pound is going to kill my weak ass US dollar.So...Would any London strutters be willing to let me crash on their couch? i have a huge collection of Rough Trade albums and I think Ricky Gervais and Simon Pegg are the funniest people ever. I also eat crumpets on occasion and Earl Grey is my favorite tea. All joking aside, I would rather buy drinks/dinner for a strutter those nights then spend 3times that amount on board. and i would of course return the favor should any english strutters need a place to stay in san francisco. i've accepted that i am part of an internet fraternity as strutters have crashed on my air mattress before and you get you'll get your own room and key! if no Londoners can swing it, plaese to tell me at least what would be an ideal district to book my place. i'm terrified. i have had this nightmare before where i arrive in a new country broke, missing my cards walking around blindfolded.sincerely, audreyms_damnawww damnedith head

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    if worst comes to worst and you do have to stay at a hostel DO NOT stay at the Generator Hostel. That is all the help I can provide. Sorry.

• don't worry edith head, i'm sure you'll get a place to stay (it's just 5.19am in the u.k atm which is why no one has perhaps responded yet)!
    I've got some friends living over there at the moment also (studying/working etc) but i'll put out the call as they may have some space since it's only a lil time, or at the very least they may know of some good cheap places.....just in case as a back up!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    one of my best friends is over there at the moment I'll email him & see if he knows of anywhere. Also you can try pm-ing ilmod1 or flomotion as they were real helpful to me when I was there.

• audrey,
    two words. Buddy Peace. Nicest guy ever. London resident. I bet he'd be very helpful. Get in touch with me if you need contact info.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Likewise, I am sure I can connect with some friends over there for you.Hit me up!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Morning.

Good to hear you're hitting the UK shores Ms_Damn!

We actually live just an hour by train outside London in the wonderful world of the commuter belt so probably a bit too far out of the action to be really useful. However if you get stuck and need a place to stay the couch will always be available and you're more than welcome to use it as a back up plan if more central accommodation falls through.

Regardless of all this I'm in London most days for work so be more than happy to show you the inside of some very decent pubs at the very least.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    We are in Nottingham which is about as much use to you as a chocolate teapot. Unless you believe there is more to England than London?

• could make a few inquiries for you.

there are some hostels where you can get a private room for cheap. i travelled in europe and stayed in hostels recently and found that people of all ages travel this way to save cash. you can find some reputable places that are clean and even friendly and i don;t think you will feel old, out of place or worried for your safety. on the contrary, it can be a great way to meet random folks to do stuff with and so forth although i guess spring break means they might be over run with uni students looking to blow off steam.

another option could be to look into couchsurfers.com. i have not used this site but have heard good things.

if you get stuck and you simply need a commercial hotel room on very short notice i would suggest using www.hotwire.com.

• Hi, I live in a shared flat about 20 minutes out of Central London, in a place called Dollis Hill. I'm a Kiwi, if you need a place to stay feel free to PM me.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Thanks everyone for the help and input! I will reach out via PMs this week. I hope I can meet up with many of you when i am over there.

Tommy, I thought about Buddy Peace. I sent him an email yesterday and am waiting to hear back. Couch or no couch I am glad I'll get a chance to meet him in person now. I agree he is one of the nicest people ever.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Tommy, I thought about Buddy Peace. I sent him an email yesterday and am waiting to hear back. Couch or no couch I am glad I'll get a chance to meet him in person now. I agree he is one of the nicest people ever.

You can always try finding him on the ninjatune forum. He's on there a fair amount.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    SLEEPOVER REVEALED.

• I think he goes online at school, so he's not always regular with the replies, but he'll get back to you. I heard from him yesterday, so he's around. I'll email him and tell him you're trying to get ahold of him.

I think he'd either give you a place to stay or give you some good info.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Can't help with a couch unfortunately but just wanted to say you could try the VG+ forum, some of who occasionally post here, or used to, they have lots of London people and I'm sure would help you out.

Also, you may be pleased to hear the ?? has taken a battering recently, and is now worth roughly the same as the Euro, about $1.50. (Should make your trip a bit cheaper.)

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

^^ Lives in a real life manor.

hi again, i have a few options now and feel better now after i had some luck with a hotwire search this morning.

they don't tell you what the hotel is until after you book, but i found a 4 star hotel at a rate of $84 USD/night in Kensington - Chelsea - Knightsbridge[/b] area and one in Bloomsbury - Marble Arch[/b] for $75/night. It's probably too good to be true, but i don't care as it is within my budget. Can anyone tell me if these districts are alright and which one is preferred?

There were also reasonable results for

Ealing - Hammersmith - Brentford
    Notting Hill
    South Bank

thanks!! as usual any input is highly appreciated

• Can anyone tell me if these districts are alright and which one is preferred?

i think you'll be happy in chelsea or notting hill (make sure to hit up music exchange and the shops on portebello).

i've done hotwire a bunch of times and have yet to be really disappointed. sometimes you can luck into an incredible room at a really good price.

have a great trip...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    hi again, i have a few options now and feel better now after i had some luck with a hotwire search this morning.

they don't tell you what the hotel is until after you book, but i found a 4 star hotel at a rate of $84 USD/night in Kensington - Chelsea - Knightsbridge[/b] area and one in Bloomsbury - Marble Arch[/b] for $75/night. It's probably too good to be true, but i don't care as it is within my budget. Can anyone tell me if these districts are alright and which one is preferred?

There were also reasonable results for

Ealing - Hammersmith - Brentford
    Notting Hill
    South Bank

thanks!! as usual any input is highly appreciated

Kensington / Chelsea / Knightsbridge are the balleur end of town
    Bloomsbury/Marble Arch is similar and close to the shopping areas
    Avoid Ealing, Hammersmith and Brentford - they are reasonably gentile but too far from any action
    Notting Hill is trustafarian land, probably best for a hipster experience but has good nightlife, and Portobello is fun.
    Southbank - could be really skanky or right in the middle of good action. Depends on the address - please post it up.

If you are keen to conserve your funds, please PM me your London stay dates and I may be able to secure a free studio apartment in the financial district. It's a couple of tube stops from the West End which is what most non-locals think of as 'London'.
    (Friend who lives in the Barbican-related)

greetings! thank you everyone who offered to help. i can rest easy now having booked/secured places for paris, london and barcelona - the london leg of the trip thanks to skel. hope to meet up with some of you for drinks. i'll be in london april 7 to 11

audrey