A Strutter's Worst Moving Nightmare

Comments

• also, new "Why Must I Cry" graemlin?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Among the items missing from my collection: my entire stash of hiphop vinyl and two-thirds of my hiphop CDs; all of my world-music CDs (including 16 Fela Kuti and all of my Sublime Frequencies discs); all of my highbrow, 20th-century composer stuff; my cherished Soul Jazz Records CDs; my soundtracks; rare psych-rock LPs by Friendsound (the LSD-inspired side project by some Paul Revere and the Raiders members); little-known Kraut-rock classics by Exmagma and Et Cetera; Bernard Szajner's imaginary soundtrack to Dune done under the moniker Zed; Kraftwerk's first three amazing albums, all of which they stubbornly, foolishly refuse to officially reissue; TONTO's Expanding Head Band's Zero Time, with two separate covers; that sweet 100 Proof (Aged in Soul) LP on the Motown composers Holland-Dozier-Holland's Hot Wax label.... Someone could open a decent music shop with those fugitive goods???and then promptly go out of business.
    No big loss.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• Real world moves, revealed?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    In fact, I had to turn down a juicy DJ opportunity soon after I returned to Seattle because I lacked the crucial weapons from my vinyl arsenal.

5000+ trance/breakbeat terds lost, god save us all

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

HAHA! I saw that myself. You'll know I'm hard up when I start trolling for singles in newspapers from cities 3000 miles away from home.

Have love, will travel.

• shit i lost 3 boxes thru the mail on my last move that shit hurts..

• I am SHOCKED that the knee jerk reaction on here was to clown dude for his taste, and the value of what he lost.

SHOCKED.

I need to go for a walk...

• I am SHOCKED that the knee jerk reaction on here was to clown dude for his taste, and the value of what he lost.

SHOCKED.

I need to go for a walk...

It's overcompensation for dealing with their deep paranoid fears that the same thing might happen to them and their (equally inconsequential) collections.

I am SHOCKED that the knee jerk reaction on here was to clown dude

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He broke even: value of items minus value of free garbage disposal service = $0

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I felt sorry for the guy too... until he drones on for 8 paragraphs about his mind-numbingly average indie critic dude tastes. Strangely enough, almost the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine several years ago when he left Costa Mesa to move to Japan.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    you guys are just salty because y'all don't have a shelf "groaning" with Nurse With Wounds back catalog

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I had a similar situation happen to me, when I moved to the uk. had left a good amount of boxes at my parents house and after 5 years past, I came back to collect(and sort through) what was there. I check to see that the boxes are not inside the walk-in closet, but notice the walk-in closet is no longer there(I remember them telling me over the phone they were doing some renovation, but was not expecting this).

I hear my mom say "I got some bad news about your records"
    Apparently, My uncle was over visiting and did not pay attention to what was in the boxes and just left them off to the side, in the backyard with the only thing protecting them was a small plastic tarp.

My mom told him to put them in the shed, but I guess he thought she said it to, put it to the side of the shed.

I got to salvage maybe less than 20 or 30 records out of the 20+ boxes that were left unattended for 5 years. Dealing with mold, stuck covers, warped records & black widow spiders. A real f*****g nightmare.

I was pretty upset about it but at the same time It made me appreciate a couple of things. One, It's not that big of a deal, I've always gone on the expression "If you had it once in your hands, the possibility of getting it again, is there"

Two, going through them, I realized I had accumulated too much crap (well not crap) but just things I really did not have to hold on to or was not too interested. So the more I looked at it, the more I was actually kind of happy I did not have to take this with me to my new place(at the time).Small and already not much room cause of the other records

Since then, 8 years have past and I am glad I do not have the amount of records I used to. All the years of packaging them up, moving them from place to place..Just became a nightmare.

Funny thing, I still buy records, but I rarely buy them for me. Just to sell or to trade with folks or to give them away in packages.

My bad, I know and a learning experience to say the least. If anything I empathize with his experience, but at the same time, if he really cared that much about his records, I would have assumed that he would have taken the time to either rent a u-haul and make the run himself or investigate into whatever company he was releasing his "trust fund" into.And the records he mentioned, he can get those records.Not like they are mad rare. I got the impression he was a bit whiney.

Anyways, that was my experience

you guys are just salty because y'all don't have a shelf "groaning" with Nurse With Wounds back catalog

• Careful on matters of taste, Crink... You've got a JSBX debate making a mess all over your board right now.

Careful on matters of taste, Crink... You've got a JSBX debate making a mess all over your board right now.

my shelves are totally groaning

At the fact that they're relegated to supporting a comprehensive collection of Nurse With Wound records?

I wish I still had my NWW collection!

you seen what some of them shits sell for?

• this post couldn't be more prescient for me. i am currently deciding between two moving companies and this article just convinced me to go with the more expensive, reputable one.

regardless of what anyone thinks of buddy's taste in music, can anyone fathom the complete loss of the collection they have been working on years and years?

• I mean, why the F*ck would you not get insurance?

he should never have tried to pay for the moving with a sixpack

• I mean, why the F*ck would you not get insurance?

How does moving insurance work though? Who'd appraise the value of something like 60 crates of records?

I mean, why the F*ck would you not get insurance?

How does moving insurance work though? Who'd appraise the value of something like 60 crates of records?

Think of how much you think they're worth. Then double it.

Then send me the that much money in an envelope, and I'll think of a value for you.

• Most movers offer a basic 25k policy. I took it last time I moved even though it wouldn't have covered a total loss.

I think what bugs me about this is not the guy's taste but the total tail-between-the-legs reaction. I mean, half of your stuff disappears in a move and the most you do is yell at some guy over the phone?

I think what bugs me about this is not the guy's taste but the total tail-between-the-legs reaction. I mean, half of your stuff disappears in a move and the most you do is yell at some guy over the phone?

Man with Wounded Self-Esteem-Related

• "Fantasies of getting on a plane"

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

At the fact that they're relegated to supporting a comprehensive collection of Nurse With Wound records?

I thought it was because they were reading his posts.

I keed.

"Fantasies of getting on a plane"

HAHA! Someone should photochop a thought bubble with a plane in it onto this image: