DEPRESSION....

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
Help.I need sureshot methods to make this slide.B

Comments

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts
    Help.

I need sureshot methods to make this slide.

B

Sheep - keep ya head up homie, don't let the bastards get you down!

peace

RD

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Help.

B

try a change of routine, usually something different changes moods and perspective, if that don't work you can always try this...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Dont dwell on your problems,just keep yourself occupied.I'm no professional that's about the best advice i can offer.I know you'll get out your depression it's all about positive thinking.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    keep yourself real busy. stay up man.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    word, i appreciate the comments, even though it's self-explanatory shit, sometimes it's hard to get your mind off shit and actually do shit... i'm mad homesick at the moment... + life in Japan's trippin' me out...

peace.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Being busy does not address the problem. Relax, do activities to keep your mind focused, write (whatever along those lines might help) and get your anger/sadness/frustration out. Exercise is also a tremendous outlet. This is a sidenote, but on this board I've learned that psychedelic drugs are slightly easy to acquire in Nihon. Psych drugs, when taken in a responsible manner and under the supervision (I dunno how you'd manage that) have been proven to help combat depression and alcoholism. I'm just throwing out ideas, but being homesick is MEGA hard to fight. Stay up, PM if you'd want some of the ideas I tried throughout 8 years.
    Peace
    T.N.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    -music instrument

-dvd of south park/family guy reruns..but humour for real, dude download stand up mp3s, richard pryor, chris rock, murphy, chapelle, mitch hedberg, david cross, and others, trust me, u start playing that stuff and u forget about everything else going on in your life

-mixtapes/cds of songs you can listen to 1000 times and not get sick of. absolutely vital.

-(s)EXERCISE

gluck

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    Make a tape for someone you like!
    Always works for me...
    Hope you'll be OK, holmes!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    sheepskills,
    homesickness/wistfulness can fester and be a bitch. staystrong.

non had good recomendations.
    for me:
    spend a day in nature. if you feel up to it, eat mushrooms while in nature.

exercise. endorphins are dope. a looong hike in aforementioned nature. or get zooted and swim religiously. keep upping your amount of laps.

wrap you head around a inspiring book. autobio of assata shakur, for example. or a dope science fiction book that reflects on reality (is what i like): 5th sacred thing, parabal of the sower, animal farm...

i know you have some records that can function as medication. lani hall?

make some food for people.

work in someones garden. cultivate, brethren.

best of luck. maybe do push ups each time your thoughts get heavy

guess you tried the hiking thing

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    bevan, it is vital to REALIZE that storms pass. depression is by no means a forever thing. peace, stein. . .

• bevan, it is vital to REALIZE that storms pass. depression is by no means a forever thing. peace, stein. . .

Co-sign. I've lived with clinical depression for about 10 years but I still have good times as well as bad. Storms do pass. Check this quote from The Prophet by Khalil Gibran. It helps keep things in perpective for me...

Then a woman said, "Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow."

And he answered:

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.

And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.

And how else can it be?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.

Is not the cup that hold your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?

And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."

But I say unto you, they are inseparable.

Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.

Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.

When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

Peace and keep yo' head up.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    speak to a psychiatrist if possible, sometimes it helps just talking about things. Do that before resorting to antidepressants

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Help.

B

Is this whats wrog with you? I was on a serious fuck sheep mission because you have not answered my pms or maybe it was fuck day... one of yall, anyway if it was you I guess I stop being mad... yo maybe you could try that kava kava natural buzz stuff... its not bad...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "Deression's got a hold on me, depression I can't break free!!!!!!!"

Don't worry about it, it will pass. I don't know what your job is, but if you can put in extra hours do it. Go to the gym and beat the hell out of the punching bag. Plus, just make yourself get out and go to a movie or a show. Plus, if you get out enough, you'll see some fucked up stuff that will make you realize your life is pretty damn good. Not that one should revil in others misery, but it can be a good kick in the butt that your getting upset over little things.

I've been there and I just had to plow through it and keep my head up. Plus, sometime it's OK to give in, drink wine and eat comfort food for a couple days, then snap out and get back to a good life.

• Options
    Studies came out recently that show a consistent exercise routine as a confirmed relief for depression.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    take solace in your friends, that helps a lot

read this book

disregard the cheesy cover, this has gotten me out of many tough times, dude is mega insightful

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    speak to a psychiatrist if possible, sometimes it helps just talking about things. Do that before resorting to antidepressants

If you say so... Hopefully that psychiatrist will direct you to take Zoloft or Paxil. THat shit works wonders. Seriously. Why fuck around? Just fix it. No shame in taking pills.

My girlfriend is actually a nurse at a mental health facility, so I know how those drugs can fuck with you in the long term, usually they cloud the problem and don't deal with it... I'd probably go see a psychologist over a psychatrist but thankfully my depression isn't so deep rooted. It pretty much stems from being homesick. I've been in Japan for 14 months and I went back home for a 2 weeks to see my girlfriend and hommies and coming back to Japan, shit hit me.....

Thank you very much for all the comments, ya'll got some good ideas that I'll be putting into work!!!

peace.

My girlfriend is actually a nurse at a mental health facility, so I know how those drugs can fuck with you in the long term, usually they cloud the problem and don't deal with it... I'd probably go see a psychologist over a psychatrist but thankfully my depression isn't so deep rooted. It pretty much stems from being homesick. I've been in Japan for 14 months and I went back home for a 2 weeks to see my girlfriend and hommies and coming back to Japan, shit hit me.....

Thank you very much for all the comments, ya'll got some good ideas that I'll be putting into work!!!

peace.

I've never heard of it fucking with anybody in the long term. There is a difference between "daddy didn't hug me and now I hate everybody" and clinical depression that is just a chemical imbalance. I guess you should find out which is which and then make up your own mind......

thanks.

thanks.
    P.s. I hope I didn't come off like a dick... Its just that I've been taking paxil for years, and it works great. I tried getting off it once, and I was all gloomy and mopey all the time, so I went back on it. People usually instinctively don't want to take a seratonin inhibitor because "only crazy people take pills, normal people just work shit out". Which is soooooo last century......

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    speak to a psychiatrist
    swim religiously

• anyone w/ any info or opinions on Lexapro?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    B,

you need some chicken.

call me up!

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Sheep i know what you a feeling as I spent 3 years teaching in Japan and returning home for holiday always used to get me down when i came back to the shitty apartment surrounded by concrete in Japan.

Teaching English is also very taxing energetically as you are always giving your energy to the students. After 2 yrs i quickly learnt how to teach by letting the students teach each other.Set up role plays and get them in pairs and asking each other questions and walk around and monitor them.

Japan really did my head in after a while(6months). We have so much space in Australia and are used to having some space alone. I found it essential in japan to get some time in nature but because I was working 6 days a week I found i was sometimes just too exhausted to get out there.

Make the effort to go to a beautiful place find a temple and just sit and be with yourself. Sometimes just distracting yourself from what your feeling through activity will only just put off that feeling for another day. It is essential to find a way to release the blosked energies and emotions. This could be through meditation,breathing,exercise, martila arts,yoga,therapy etc.

Exercise is important and martial arts was a good release for me. I used to strap my kick bag to a tree in the local park and kick the shit out of it. It was a good release of the frustrations,stress of living in Japan.

I don't recommend the drug option but when we managed to track down some pure MDMA a 6 hr session of lying around hugging my wife and telling her how beautiful she/the music/the universe was did wonders. That followed by a ski trip the next day was like a month long holiday for the soul.

Without sounding like a mullumbimby hippy too much.

Feel it completely then let it go.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    speak to a psychiatrist
    Jerk-off religiously

oh yeah, you may want ot check out shambalah: path of the warrior. my hommie gave me that book when i was going through dark times and its kept me positive ever since...5 years strong. takes about 2 hours to read. i never really went back to it, or went to a shambalah center, nothing like that. just good righteous warrior mentality is all

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Everyone I know that went to Japan for long enough started going a little crazy. That place is just weird. I'm not being sarcastic when I say it's not you, it's Japan. If you think about it that way maybe it'll help?