›

some people use the word funky to loosely..

Ayrotollah77Ayrotollah77 415 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
So i'm in Sevilla,Spain right now and i went to a club last night to get ma swerve on..i ask the dude at the door what kind of music they got going on tonight and he replies, "funk"..Now by the look of the place from the outside i was pretty sure i wasn't gonna roll in and hear some Jb or Rufus Thomas 45's rotating but it was all really bad hip-pop nonsense 'til the break-a-dawn..I've had similar experiences in Brasil as well but i know that they call this electo-type genre "funk",but it seems like funk music is used to describe so many different types of music and it don't seem right..I've been checking other listings for "funk" nights here but now i'm rather skeptical of what to expect..It's like calling tofu beef or some isht..Anyone else had similar experiences or theories as to why this be?peace-P77

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    While I was playing Roy Ayers 'get on up, get on down" last night a woman came up to me at the DJ both and said , "Have you got anything a little less fruity? Maybe something funky?" I looked at her with a look that she instantly realised as she then followed up with "you can tell me to F*ck off" at which point I continued to look at her the same way until she did.

• yeah i love the "can u play something more funky" line..I'm sure everyone on here has had that one happen..funny/annoying

• And, some people use the word 'to,' wrong.

Yeah.... think about it.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Just further evidence that funk is dead as a form of expression...

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    And, some people use the word 'to,' wrong.

Yeah.... think about it.

and "dj both" like Kinetic was standing next to the dj and the woman came up to both him and the dj..

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I primarily use the word "funky" to describe unpleasant odors, ie "Your couch smells really funky."

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I can't stand it when people say "in the mix" (note:music,djing)

or "feeling the groove".

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    While I was playing Roy Ayers 'get on up, get on down" last night a woman came up to me at the DJ both and said , "Have you got anything a little less fruity? Maybe something funky?" I looked at her with a look that she instantly realised as she then followed up with "you can tell me to F*ck off" at which point I continued to look at her the same way until she did.

I have done something similar to a lady who was making requests with me once.

sometimes just saying nothing is the best way to tell them to f*ck off and leave alone.

• I primarily use the word "funky" to describe unpleasant odors, ie "Your couch smells really funky."

yikes i thought you said "cooch" when I first read this. i need glasses.

that would definitely not be a good look but certainly funky

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    My friend once described an otherwise attractive girl as, "needing to take some steel wool to her coochie." Said coochie was purportedly quite funky.

• whats the origin of the word "coochie"??Thats a funky word TOO!!f*ckin english teachers up in heuh..

• whats the origin of the word "coochie"??Thats a funky word TOO!!f*ckin english teachers up in heuh..

Hoochy Cootchy is a voodoo priest in Creole culture and made its way into our vocab via Willie Dixon. It then became slang for a dude who preys on women and somehow got shortened to actually mean slang for vagina.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    wow, i really didn't expect an answer to that.

much less an interesting answer.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So the baby-talk Coochie-Coochie-Coo means Pussy-Pussy-Pus?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ just ruined his chance of EVAR meeting my baby.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Cous is slang for coochie in some middle Eastern Language(s), thus eating cous cous is eating coochie coochie.

• I primarily use the word "funky" to describe unpleasant odors, ie "Your cooch smells really funky."

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Cous is slang for coochie in some middle Eastern Language(s), thus eating cous cous is eating coochie coochie.

I can eat cous cous all night long....as long as it aint too funky....

I realised the limitiations of the word 'funk' when re organising my collection over the holidays, cus I had so much shit in the funk section and I wanted shit into more specific segments....

Anyone got any homemade 'categorys' that helps divide funk records into more specific sections?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    and I wanted shit into more specific segments....

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    I was playing in Germany about a year ago and i'm playing "Running Away" by Roy ayers , this guy comes up to me with big balls of cotton in his ears and says "do you have anything less ethnic?" he then immediately followed up with "people here don't dance to this music" (the entire room was dancing). then he requested Kylie Minogue.

moral of the story: most people don't know shit.