this god damn dog next door

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
This couple moved into the apartment next door and they have this dog that barks. And barks. And barks and barks and barks and barks. Loud. Non-stop. It's totally insane. There's no escaping it. I first met them after suffering through about 4 hours straight of this shit. I have to say I wasn't the friendliest, most welcoming neighbor, because I was kinda hung over and all I wanted to do was take a nap that afternoon.. They assured me that she'd chill after she got used to the new digs. It's been almost 3 weeks and that dog will not shut the F*ck up. It's only when they're not home.What can I do?What can they do?I'm sitting in my living room listening to this shit right now. It's killing me.

Comments

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    that dog has separation anxiety

go here http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/dog_library/index_library.shtml there's some good handouts there (sep anx and barking would be the best ones). Print em out and slip them in their mailbox or hand deliver, whatever you choose.

Some dogs do get over it after a little while but if they're not doing anything to help it's very possible they won't. Hope that helps.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

• cascas 1,484 Posts

BAN

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My sister-in-law's chocolate lab has the same problem. They use this:

btw, you could always file a noise complaint but it'd be nicer for everyone if the police didn't have to get involved.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Had the exact same problem during part of my college years (2 f**kin years of dog to be exact) and it was never resolved.
    I came this close to poisoning the dog after a year of it.
    If you can't resolve it amicably you may be able to get the law involved if you get a petition signed by several neighbors. Varies state to state.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    My sister-in-law's chocolate lab has the same problem. They use this:

My dog is insane when she goes outside. Had the neighbor complain and all that. Tried the barking shock collar thing and it worked for about a week until I went outside and saw it chewed up on the sidewalk. Only thing I've found that works is a muzzle. I don't like to put it on her, but sometimes we have to when schitt gets outta control. Now we keep her in most of the time.

• piss puck?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    D, didn't they vote you condo president?
    Send those fools packin'!

• D, didn't they vote you condo president?
    Send those fools packin'!

Yes. Total nightmare. But that's a whole other story.

But since it's dog related- my downstairs neighbor lets her dog shit all over the shared backyard and I have to repeatedly remind her to pick it up. She'll let it accumulate for weeks at a time.

I guess I'm going to have to have a talk with these people. I don't think I could make a noise complaint without giving them a chance to try to really do something about it.

That's the main thing that sucks so much about condo association president- you're forced to have to tell people to do things that they shouldn't have to be told to do. Like pay their condo fees and pick up their dogshit.

• buy them a Kong, or tell them to buy one and see if it helps the dog settle in.

if they fill it with treats and peanut butter before they leave and give it to the dog right when they leave it might help the dog deal with the separation. If it's packed with good stuff the dog won't enough notice that they left. If it's barking all day it might not help, but it's worth a try.

What they need to do is leave the dog with the kong for a short period of time and come back and then give it a treat. Then they do it again for a longer period of time, and on and on, until the dog is ok with them leaving.

This isn't your responsibility though. The funny thing is that they say the dog will stop when it gets used to the new place. How do they know. They are gone all day. It might have always done this.

shock collars are .

Inflicting pain on your dog for something it does naturally is like beating your kids for crying. If you're going to resort to that type of approach use a citronella collar; they're not painful and have the same effect.

Or just call her over to their place

Or

• reskresk 391 Posts
    Dog whisperer>>>>>>>english lady

getting into the dog's psychy>>>>>>>>rewarding dog with treats for not jumping on your house guests

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    there is this one thing that emits a high pitched noise every time a dog barks. it doesn't hurt them, it just annoys them. i almost got one for the neighbors dogs. i was gonna hide it outside. but then i got used them barking all day and night.

ask anna.

Dog whisperer>>>>>>>english lady

getting into the dog's psychy>>>>>>>>rewarding dog with treats for not jumping on your house guests
    Personally I think the dog whisperer's a douche. Oprah put some shit into millions of housewives heads that made them think that Cesar's techniques are how you train your everyday average dog. He's the dude you'd go to if you were at the point where you would feel okay with your dog being killed because you can't manage their issues. I want my dog to like/respect me, not fear me. Most dogs with issues just need some basic training from people who know what they're doing, not think that because they grew up with a dog that they know how to train them. I'm not trying to come off like I'm some expert but I've dealt with animals for four years in an animal shelter and have seen some of the warped ideas people have about animals and how little people are willing to do to care for their animals. It's a responsibility that many people don't take seriously. Alright, I'm done preaching.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    there is this one thing that emits a high pitched noise every time a dog barks. it doesn't hurt them, it just annoys them. i almost got one for the neighbors dogs. i was gonna hide it outside. but then i got used them barking all day and night.

ask anna.

ooo i need this. Our neighbors put their 2 dogs out in this dog "run" that's like 15 by 8 feet all day long and all they do is bark. It butts right up against our porch so every time I try to walk outside with the baby I get 2 loud ass big dogs barking.

I WAS gonna toss a brick of black cats over on that side of my porch and let em deal with MY loud noises but I like the high pitch noise device idea better.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This couple moved into the apartment next door and they have this dog that barks. And barks. And barks and barks and barks and barks. Loud. Non-stop. It's totally insane. There's no escaping it.

What can I do?
    I'm sitting in my living room listening to this shit right now. It's killing me.

Go on a killing spree.

- spidey