T Plays it Cool

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
So for years I've heard all kinds of rumors about this song. From Marvin played everything but the horns, to it's a tape loop of him playing the drums, to the most recent rumor that it was really Earl Palmer playing uncredited. I've talked to many people over the years about this schitt and no one seems to have a definitive answer. I've seen pictures of him on the drums around the time of this record and I personally think it's a tape loop of him on the drums (Marvin even started out as a drummer). My man thinks otherwise. I'm relying on El Strut to help me settle this debate once and for all.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    ehhhhhhhhh come on Battymon, I know you don't like me but that's the best you could do?

Guess that means you don't have an answer either.

ehhhhhhhhh come on Battymon, I know you don't like me but that's the best you could do?

Guess that means you don't have an answer either.

I like u dude.

I always thought it was a loop.

The drum-rolls sould exactly the same everytime.

ill see if divided soul has anything on this.

• 100% tape loop in my opinion. I don't know if it's Marvin or Palmer. It's definitely a tape loop though because, as Batmon mentioned, it is exactly the same everytime. Nobody could play those rolls like that every single time. It's an amazing take of some great drumming and a really nice roll and it's looped well.

I actually found out it was a tape loop from some Lyrics Born interview from 1999 or something where he talked about being blown away when he learned about it. It's one of those things that you never really question until someone gives you a reason to question it. I read that interview and was like "ahhh, that makes sense."

beatmaking before people made beats.

The Divided Soul book says Trouble Man was one of two albums that Marvin did everything himself.

Yet there a plenty of stories where Marvin wouldnt give credit to cats jammin w/ him at the studio.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The Divided Soul book says Trouble Man was one of two albums that Marvin did everything himself.

Yet there a plenty of stories where Marvin wouldnt give credit to cats jammin w/ him at the studio.

Yep, that's why I didn't wanna rule out it being Palmer, but something just didn't sound right with that. The whole style of drumming isn't his steez.

I can't find my book so good looks. I think the pic I'm talking about of Marvin on the drums is in there.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like to think it's a tape loop.

I was expecting T Plays it Cool to bust out over the Bradys.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    it's a tape loop, the question is who's playing drums... it would be nice to think it's marvin...

• it's a tape loop, the question is who's playing drums... it would be nice to think it's marvin...

whoever is, it's the same guy playing drums in one of "the man" take heard on the last few seconds of the track (it's included in the 2nd disc of the "let's get it on" (?)deluxe version)

...and I think it's Marvin