English as 2nd Language related (NRR)

shawnald_reaganshawnald_reagan 318 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,I'm a first-year teacher and I just got a new student today who is ESL. He wants to learn how to comprehend and use English more effectively. As a native English speaker I can understand his frustrations but I can't bring any insight to this dilemma. Here's where I need help from ESL strutters:Generally, what frustrates you about learning English b/w any tips or suggestions on increasing understanding of English for a non-native speaker. Thanks in advance, as I know soulstrut love the kids.

Comments

• Hey,
    I'm a first-year teacher and I just got a new student today who is ESL. He wants to learn how to comprehend and use English more effectively. As a native English speaker I can understand his frustrations but I can't bring any insight to this dilemma. Here's where I need help from ESL strutters:
    Generally, what frustrates you about learning English b/w any tips or suggestions on increasing understanding of English for a non-native speaker. Thanks in advance, as I know soulstrut love the kids.

You don't have ESL professionals in your district?

• your question is a little bit vague. not to put you on the spot, but are you a certified teacher working within a school district or is this some private esl "college"?

you need to do comprehensive testing and get him to give you a writing sample before you can even begin to advise him. also, you need to do a personal interview with him and get a sense of what he really hopes to accomplish. If he plans to attend university then his ability has to be up to a particular standard; whereas, if just wants to be able to get by and express himself in daily situations that is another story.

once you get a handle on what his weaknesses are and what he hopes to accomplish, i would suggest taking a trip to your library and looking through the esl section for material that will be suitable.

hope that helps....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Have him watch as much nightly news as possible to hear how the English language is used, pronounced, in a formal setting. Growing up in a non-native household watching ABC nightly news helped me grasp the language from an early age.

Pronouns and conjugation are key to really mastering a language, but go easy on him tho, from what I understand ESL teaching stresses conveying the meaning in English vs perfect grammar, etc.

• ddownddown 65 Posts

You have to provide a lot more info first.

How old is your student (what grade & what level of English)? Doesn't your school have an ESL program?

It really depends on his/her grade, but your student should start with some private tutoring, especially if your school doesn't have an ESL program.

Independently, your student should read a lot of books while using a dictionary. Every word your student doesn't know should be underlined and looked up in the dictionary (and written down). Watching TV helps, too (somewhat).

Encourage your student to hang out with other native English speakers, even if it's awkward at first. Full immersion really helps.

If the student is young enough, he/she will start to improve. If the student is older, ESL classes and private tutoring is necessary.

Just talk to the kid. Encourage your student to talk. If the student is older, first focus on fluency (worry about accuracy a little later). If the student is younger, focus on accuracy first. Be patient.

• Okay guys, I work with learning disabled schools at a private academy. The aforementioned 16 year old can speak the language well, but he wants to increase vocabulary comprehension so that he can understand the jokes his friends tell him. This situation I'm in isn't trying to teach him the English language but to help him understand some nuances and general language usage. I've got a plan to increase comprehension but I figured that the strut could have some insight into ESL frustrations.

So, think of it like this:

If one of your teenage nieces or nephews came to you as an ESL speaker and asked you how to increase their understanding of English so that they could talk to their peers and not feel like an outsider.

I'm not looking for solutions...just suggestions.
    After all, helping this kid is my job...not yours.
    Thanks for all the advice thus far...mylatency, your suggestion was exactly what I was looking for.
    Carry on...

• a good place to start might be idioms then....

• great idea fishmongerfunk. I will.

• chaschas 45 Posts
    About 10 years ago I moved to Germany for a year knowing barely any German. One thing that really helped me pick up the language (not that I'm great at it or anything, but I can usually get by) was watching lots of TV and movies - especially stuff I was already familiar with or had seen a million times. Stuff like the Simpsons or Clerks really helped because I'd hear the dialogue in German and already know what they were saying so it helped me figure out vocab, phrases, etc. Depending on where your student is from, you might be able to have him watch movies in English with subtitles in his native language to help him connect the two.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Have him watch as much nightly news as possible to hear how the English language is used, pronounced, in a formal setting. Growing up in a non-native household watching ABC nightly news helped me grasp the language from an early age.

Pronouns and conjugation are key to really mastering a language, but go easy on him tho, from what I understand ESL teaching stresses conveying the meaning in English vs perfect grammar, etc.

I agree, and even stuff like the Late Show and similar talk shows. I know shows like that helped me learn english when I was young, since you hear people talking casually, cracking jokes and stuff like that. In school you mostly read novels and practice "artificial" situations (presentations and stuff like that). That's one of the classic reasons people give for scandinavians being relatively decent at speaking english, compared to countries like France - that we use subtitles instead of overdubs on english tv-shows and movies. Of course, there's more to it than that (we know we won't make it with our own language alone) but it does help. I've only held but a few conversations in English in my life, but I've done okay from the get go.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    watching lots of TV and movies - especially stuff I was already familiar with or had seen a million times.

That's a good tip, and that's what I would do if I ever would get serious about learning a third language - watch 50 episodes of Simpsons in Spanish or something...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The suggestions for watching TV and movies are good, that definitely helped me. I am not sure what level the student is at, but soemthing that also helped a huge amount were phonetics/grammar exercises. Books for ESL adults must exist that can address the fact that he can already speak English - or maybe you can develop something? I just think a strong foundation in grammar and phonetics will help in grasping the nuances and quirks of the language.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I have been told that the #1 way folks in South America learned english in the 60's-80's was by watching "I Love Lucy"??