JobStrut - L.A. Headz any Ideas?

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
A question for/appeal to all my So Cal Strutters ... I have a friend that is living in Hollywood, unemployed and miserable. He moved out therefrom Boston last year, to try to further his dreams as an independentfilmmaker/screenwriter. He's had a hell of a time getting work and meetingpeople. He had finally got a steady job as a courier but when he had to comehome to Boston for 3 weeks to help his Mom get on her feet post-surgery,they wouldn't hold the job for him and now he is out of work again.Anyway, if anybody knows about any kind of decent work, any ideas for a smart & friendly 36 year old guy with a degree in communications and a deepknowledge of film (and experience working on movie sets in many capacities)PLEASE give me a holler on the PM with info. I feel bad for my man, one ofmy oldest friends and he's having a hard time. Shit, if anyone even just wants to hang out and have a drink with him, let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• It's rough man. In October I moved out from NC where I was making around $40,000/yr as a graphic designer at a great small agency close to my house (10 minute commute) and only working 7 hours a day no less.

Now I'm in LA and after about a month of job hunting (I must have applied for over 80 jobs), I finally started a shitty full-time web design job this week. It's a 45-60 minute commute every morning & evening and I'm making just above minimum wage with no benefits.

Anybody wanna buy some 45s?

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Say what you want about New York, but LA can chew them up and spit them out better than anywhere. The secret is to dig in, pay some dues, meet people, and make connections.

Dude should go to Central Casting and do some extra work. This is like a rite of passage for most people in the film business, regardless of their aspirations. Kick it on set, raid the craft service table, make some new acquaintances, walk away with 50 bucks.

• Soul on Ice,
    PM Sent

• dude should hit up wexler video in burbank on victory and alameda. i think they're always hiring drivers. they start you out at $10/hr but you could network and they move you up pretty fast. it's a rental house for broadcast equipment and their clients are mostly reality shows right now but they done sitcoms in the past. they also have a post facility if he prefers that. they install avid systems at clients' offices all over LA.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wow, thanks to everyone who replied, including those who hit me on the PM> As always, Soul Strut is good peoples looking to help out complete strangers. I've sent all this info along to my friend, and HOPEFULLY he will use it!

You guys rule.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Good luck to your man. The job market is real shitty right now. I myself am stressing over finding additional work. Real shitty.

• Selling weed is always a good option. Seriously.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Good luck to your man. The job market is real shitty right now. I myself am stressing over finding additional work. Real shitty.

sorry to hear that Y...keep your head up and keep at it, I'm sure you'll find something! In the meantime you can pm me for set sale preview action lulz

Marco: there are always tons of freelance print jumpoffs, do you have your resume up online, etc?

good luck everyone!