crusty punks - modern soul

lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
to further expound on the classic vs rare argument, i witnessed some funny ass shit last night that was kind of hype.crusty punks rocking dance classics all night at a local pub. dropped pointer sisters, dropped wikka wrap, endagered species by parliment, i'm in love by evelyn champagne king, beatmatched fatback records...etc etc... slave...brass construction.... not expecting that!! this modern soul set came out of like some hawkwind cuts.... basically reassured me even more of the exact reasons why you should strive to find your own classics. much respect to the gutterpunks who play black radio hits.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Last night I did an 80s/hiphop night with some dudes I know. While there, my visiting friend M*rty (Academy Music holler) told me how one of the 60s DJs at ModChicago used to be a big straightedge HC dude. And M*rty is an ex-punk himself. Ex-punks-turned-soul-DJs are everywhere (including at my computer). Anyway we had a nice group of dancers. Some cute girls asked me "what's playing?" when I played Fannypack's "Cameltoe." And most importantly, one of my co-DJs once interviewed the band Tono-Bungay.

Then all the sudden these 5 breakdancers (!) from Japan (!?) showed up with some roll-up linoleum (!?!) and started busting windmills (!?!?) and headspins (!?!?!!!)*. Luckily I had these vinyls to keep them happy:

Nairobi: Funky Soul Makossa

Freeez: I.O.U.

Cybotron: Clear

Missy: Lose Control

Whispers: And the Beat Goes On

Skyy: Call Me

Michael Zager Band: Let's All Chant

Charanga 76: No Nos Pararan

*true story BTW

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

Then all the sudden these 5 breakdancers (!) from Japan (!?) showed up

i love it when this happens. so surrreal no matter where you are or what you're spinning.

i love it when this happens. so surrreal no matter where you are or what you're spinning.

So this happens often?

Can I now assume there are always several roaming groups of native Japanese youth scouring America for b-boy opportunities?

Do Japanese travel agencies sell "Breakdance America!" package tours?

BTW, before they came in, they were taking tons of pictures of each other posing in front of the club. But they may have been doing that just to humor our American preconceptions about Japanese tourists.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    my visiting friend M*rty (Academy Music holler) told me how he used to be a big straightedge HC dude.

yo m***y, richmond sux without you

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Ex-punks-turned-soul-DJs are everywhere (including at my computer).

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

So this happens often?

Can I now assume there are always several roaming groups of native Japanese youth scouring America for b-boy opportunities?

Do Japanese travel agencies sell "Breakdance America!" package tours?

BTW, before they came in, they were taking tons of pictures of each other posing in front of the club. But they may have been doing that just to humor our American preconceptions about Japanese tourists.

ha! more often than i ever thought possible. wouldn't be surprised if there is a b-boy class trip in effect.

from my experience japanese b-boys/girls, however talented, seem stuck in 1987 when it comes to gear. around here it's a wife beater and worn out jeans, not fly fila suits.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    B-Boys in Poland are big also...in the square in Krakow, there were always at least 20-25 of them with a little tent and a soundsystem set up from noon-til-night, goin at it everyday....

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Then all the sudden these 5 breakdancers (!) from Japan (!?) showed up with some roll-up linoleum (!?!) and started busting windmills (!?!?) and headspins (!?!?!!!)*. Luckily I had these vinyls to keep them happy:

I think you mean "Lorr Up Rinoreum" .and "windmirrs".

japanese b-boys/girls, however talented, seem stuck in 1987 when it comes to gear

Hmmm... they *were* all wearing headwraps similar to this "flydanna":

Plus one guy was sporting a sleeveless tee where you rip out not only the sleeves, but most of the sides of the shirt, for extra venting "1982 beach style."

That's brave of you to post... unless you've been assured that MyLatency is currently away from the computer, making moves in the lear wolrd.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

You racist fuck

...did you call me today? It looks like I missed 2 calls from zee 415 holler what it bird doo

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122158578soulmarcosa">

Soulstrut: Internet HUB for[/b]

Racist fucks
    Missed connections
    Both

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122158578soulmarcosa">

Soulstrut: Internet HUB for[/b]

Racist fucksVegan Bollywood Raers
    Missed connections Ethnic Punjabi Girls
    Both Bhangra

INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">