Who wants to adopt 2 cats?

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Preferably in the SD area. 2 cats, really cool, many strutters can vouch for their coolness. We are getting a new house and with the baby and everything else we no longer feel that we can give them the love and attention they need. We would like to find them a good home with good people, preferably somebody who we can visit. Viets are welcome to apply but if I find out you ate my f*cking cats then its ON. Not to be a dick, I just wanted to make that clear.And if Raj comes in here talking shit about how dogs are better anyways it is also ON.

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dude...Oscar?

keep Oscar

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Oscar is dead.

Its Scooter and Truman now. We got Scooter to replace Oscar after he died, and the we went on a vacation and worried about Scooter getting lonely with nobody there so we got Truman to keep him company.

If we could we would just keep Scooter since he is so mellow and awesome but we can't really split them up, that would be uncool.

• man i grew up with cats and i'm definitely gonna have one (or two) again at some point in my life.
    but if you like them so much why not just keep them?
    as far as my experience goes cats are some of the most adaptable animals. my mom even got a dog a couple months ago. of course shit was very chaotic in the beginning and the cats were kinda shocked but now they're all cool again.

i'm just saying.. not trying to sound like no smart ass or anything but if you not giving them enough attention is the only thing that's worrying you i really think they're gonna be good. especially if the two of them get along.. they can still come and chill with you guys when the baby is asleep. they're still gonna be happy, man. Trust!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    no, the young one runs around all night and makes all this noise and will stand outside the babys room and cry and cry and he's always trying to get in there, and then he's always getting into the babies stuff. And he just wants to play all the time and its getting ridiculous. plus they track litter around the house, and I don't know what to do about that really. we try to keep everything really clean for the baby but there is always cat hair and all sorts of shit everywhere. Plus the young one will occasionally bite or scratch and I'm worried that he will bite or scratch the baby. and the old one is always trying to go outside, and our new house has all these huge doors that we will want to keep open when it is nice out but the old one will always be trying to escape and then he will get all dirty and then we will have to wash him so he doesn't get dirt and shit all over the furniture.... its just too much. really, the old one, Scooter, we could handle I guess. Its the young one, Truman, thats such a pain in the ass. He's sweet, he's just young and wants to play all the time I guess.

• is this your wife posting???

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    No, I'm just soft.

• If you just want to get rid of them kijiji.com is the way to go. Experiences will vary but everyone that I have dealed with on that site were good peoples (though I'm in Canada)

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Coming from the animal sheltering world I will tell you this - chances are your older cat couldn't give a shit about being with the younger cat, and the younger cat probably wants another younger cat that it could wrestle with and be a young cat with (unless they're snuggling together all the time and playing together all the time). If it's really the younger cat that's posing the problem (and you think the older cat would be okay without him) I would try to re-home him first and see if you can get him into a home either with another younger cat (that gets along with other cats) or a home that just has more time and energy to keep him entertained (probably not one with young kids if he bites/scratches). You'll probably have a much easier time re-homing one cat as opposed to two. And, if you actually care about your animals, which it sounds like you do, I'd be REALLY careful if you're doing anything like craigslist or something like that, cause there's a lot of fucked up people out there that seem nice an normal when they have to be to get an animal (trust me, I've regrettably adopted animals out to them). Also, rescue groups (and some shelters - although shelters can F*ck with an animal, cats especially, pretty bad) can be a good way to go too, if nothing seems to be panning out, and I know there are a fair amount in so cal. Good luck, it something I could never do but in some situations it's better for everyone involved.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Fedex them to Oz?

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    no, the young one runs around all night and makes all this noise and will stand outside the babys room and cry and cry and he's always trying to get in there, and then he's always getting into the babies stuff. And he just wants to play all the time and its getting ridiculous. plus they track litter around the house, and I don't know what to do about that really. we try to keep everything really clean for the baby but there is always cat hair and all sorts of shit everywhere. Plus the young one will occasionally bite or scratch and I'm worried that he will bite or scratch the baby. and the old one is always trying to go outside, and our new house has all these huge doors that we will want to keep open when it is nice out but the old one will always be trying to escape and then he will get all dirty and then we will have to wash him so he doesn't get dirt and shit all over the furniture.... its just too much. really, the old one, Scooter, we could handle I guess. Its the young one, Truman, thats such a pain in the ass. He's sweet, he's just young and wants to play all the time I guess.

I was going to say I should come check them out, but this description was a little too honest.

We're closing escrow is a couple weeks. Congrats on the house!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

Dude. You lost me at "They track litter all around the house". This is NOT going to get your cats adopted- they are way cooler than you are making them out to be!! WTF.

try real estate terms- charming, quirky, free-spirited, soft, luxurious, feline-esque

Cbear- you should meet them- they are cool cats!!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Now I'm feeling like I can't possibly get rid of Scooter. THere's just no way.

Truman though... well.... He's sweet but he is a stinker and he likes to play. I would have done it today too if FOCAS would have called me back. But they didn't and now I"m having second thoughts. The way scooter gives me hugs though... dude I can't get rid of that cat!

Truman....

OK who wants to adopt 1 charming, quirky, free-spirited, soft, luxurious cat?

Post a pic- he is handsome to boot!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    just make them outdoor cats after they get used to the new place. they'll be fine.
    and put that fusking litter box outside. i have no idea why people insist on keeping that shit indoors.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Outdoor cats need to stay outdoors. But I don't want them to go outdoors. the streets is rough, i don't know if they would survive.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

Outdoor cats need to stay outdoors. But I don't want them to go outdoors. the streets is rough, i don't know if they would survive.

Who's who there?

I let me cat out during the day when I'm home, but she stays in at night and when I'm gone.

they'd be fine. all cats are really outdoor cats, and they should be. keep them in for a week in the new place (or better yet, in the garage) to let them get used to it and rub their scent on everything. then kick them out to the backyard. they'll get used to it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    The orange cat is the old sweet one, Scooter.

The gray and white cat is the young one, Truman. He's the one that like to get into things and play all the time. He's not a bad cat, in fact he was fine before we had the baby, but now all the stuff he did before that was fine is no longer fine. We used to not care what he played with, but now that its baby things then its not ok. And we used to not care where he went, but now that we don't want him in the baby's room its driving him nuts. He doesn't understand I guess.

they'd be fine. all cats are really outdoor cats, and they should be. keep them in for a week in the new place (or better yet, in the garage) to let them get used to it and rub their scent on everything. then kick them out to the backyard. they'll get used to it.
    Sorry to sound like a cat snob here but you know very little about cats . All cats are NOT outdoor cats, and they shouldn't be. This isn't Born Free or some shit, you're talking about a domesticated animal, unless the cat is feral. There's a large number of cats that would benefit from having supervised outdoor exposure but most cats are cool chilling in your house/apartment (as long as they're getting some form of exercise - I have two indoor cats who would be miserable outside) - rather than being hit by cars, or fucked with by neighborhood kids, or killed by other animals, or getting Feline Leukemia, or FIV (HIV for cats). The cons overpower the pros in my opinion.

Originating in so cal myself I would never recommend having "outdoor cats" unless you are having SERIOUS issues that can't be managed (which isn't super common). I've had many cats in the past get got by Coyotes and that seems to be a ever growing problem down there with all the over developing that's happening.

At this point I think your best be is trying to place the younger one in a more active household, maybe with another younger cat. I know not everyone on here shares my same opinions about animals here but having worked in an animal shelter for 4 years I can tell you everything that I've seen go down this is probably your best option. Dumping him outside will not be cool for him, dumping at a shelter will not be cool for him and keeping him if you guys aren't comfortable will not be cool for either of you. If you want any chance of being able to visit him you should probably facilitate the re-homing yourself, as opposed to going through a shelter/rescue - but, like I said you have to be really careful about people. If I were doing it I'd want to be able to see the home he was going into first. Just my crazy cat-guy thoughts.

There's a reason why outdoor cats go missing in my hood:

Keep those cats safe!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Jim Beam got hella burned!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Sorry to sound like a cat snob here but you know very little about cats
    . All cats are NOT outdoor cats, and they shouldn't be. This isn't Born Free or some shit, you're talking about a domesticated animal, unless the cat is feral. There's a large number of cats that would benefit from having supervised outdoor exposure but most cats are cool chilling in your house/apartment (as long as they're getting some form of exercise - I have two indoor cats who would be miserable outside) - rather than being hit by cars, or fucked with by neighborhood kids, or killed by other animals, or getting Feline Leukemia, or FIV (HIV for cats). The cons overpower the pros in my opinion.

Originating in so cal myself I would never recommend having "outdoor cats" unless you are having SERIOUS issues that can't be managed (which isn't super common). I've had many cats in the past get got by Coyotes and that seems to be a ever growing problem down there with all the over developing that's happening.

At this point I think your best be is trying to place the younger one in a more active household, maybe with another younger cat. I know not everyone on here shares my same opinions about animals here but having worked in an animal shelter for 4 years I can tell you everything that I've seen go down this is probably your best option. Dumping him outside will not be cool for him, dumping at a shelter will not be cool for him and keeping him if you guys aren't comfortable will not be cool for either of you. If you want any chance of being able to visit him you should probably facilitate the re-homing yourself, as opposed to going through a shelter/rescue - but, like I said you have to be really careful about people. If I were doing it I'd want to be able to see the home he was going into first. Just my crazy cat-guy thoughts.

BAN

seriously. ban these pussies. (oh, the puns... they just roll off the fingertips.)

it's a cat. put it outside.

Oh, sorry that I actually gave the man some legitimate info in regards to his situation - and that I have some knowledge outside of records and shoes.

TRUMAN- the fantastic!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Truman has officially been adopted and was shipped out to his new duty station last night.

peace out, little dude.

Scooter we are keeping.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

and put that fusking litter box outside. i have no idea why people insist on keeping that shit indoors.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Jim Beam is a heartless son of a bitch. This picture will inspire no pity in his cold ruthless heart!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Viets are welcome to apply but if I find out you ate my f*cking cats then its ON. Not to be a dick, I just wanted to make that clear.

Latte pass but

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I would have adopted Truman if I weren't thousands of miles away. Oscar is a good name for a cat. Here he is considering the President elect and his pet aspirations**.

**And sympathies, that's a three-legged dog rescued from a puppy mill.