In A Sentimental Mood (RR)

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I've been relistening to a few versions of this track lately. It was first composed and recorded by Duke Ellington (in 1935 according to Wikipedia), but the versions I've been enjoying are:The best known version from "Duke Ellington & John Coltrane" 1962 (Impulse!)One by Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet off their self titled LP from 1953 (Prestige)Chico Hamilton from "Ellington Suite" 1959 (Pacific)I know there's a Django Reinhardt version which I'm sure I've heard but can't remember what it's off. Wikipedia also lists quite a few others.Was wondering if any of you guys can recommend any? I'd like to hear some rare, lesser known versions too, if there are any.Thanks, Rob

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Besides those you mention, Steps Ahead turn in a nice one on "Holding Together"

There is a slow and stripped-down version by Ledisi but she's a little pyrotechnic on it.

The way it's written makes it the kind of stuff Ben Webster and Dexter Gordon were built for; but I don't recall owning a version by either of them.