A day in the life of Afrika Baby Bam (of the Jungl

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's the SS consensus on Afrika's as an MC?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    he was good imo.the production was always the star on the jungle brothers lp's.

• Hahah oh shit. Okay I gotta run and pick up this Greek food I ordered for dinner...

... ayo?

DAMN ! last we spoke you had ordered out...you must do that often.

yea, the drums were wack...and overall structure is a bit slop mode...he prolly did it himself.
    loving the p.r. flag hanging

i wasnt comparing the artistic efforts/endeavors/accomplishments of baby bam to prince or pfunk, just stating as far as being free to express ones self within the boundaries of hip hop....and not get shitted on..theres really not much room.

while they are some of the few who still push boundaries...rza, doom, (big deal..dumile rocks a mask) and rza is a lil bugged they not really really on some wild shit.

not that im even checking for fools rocking thonga thongs (certainly not africa bambaataa)

kool keith ...i can see him getting his michael henderson on..and not giving a fuccck.

hammers pumps n a bump video was some shit tho...or even guy rocking biker shorts looking all fragile.

but really...in comparison to other genres of music and considering the amount of rappers that have come and gone...thats like 5 bugged out cats (not even that bugged out) which is nothing.

hip hop got most people scared to be vulnerable and imo thats when it really starts to become art.

like you gotta always be thugged out instead of bugged out.

id love to see more heads use hip hop as the voice it should be, instead of what it has become.

im still waiting for the gay rappers to come out. that, im sure is a long ass list.

little richard... is no joke.

• he was good imo.the production was always the star on the jungle brothers lp's.

THIS WAS MY SHITTTTT...WADE MARCUS FLIP !!!

1st 2 jbs lps...whooooooa!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hahah oh shit. Okay I gotta run and pick up this Greek food I ordered for dinner...
    ... ayo?

yea, the drums were wack...and overall structure is a bit slop mode...he prolly did it himself.

i wasnt comparing the artistic efforts/endeavors/accomplishments of baby bam to prince or pfunk, just stating as far as being free to express ones self within the boundaries of hip hop....and not get shitted on..theres really not much room.

while they are some of the few who still push boundaries...rza, doom, (big deal..dumile rocks a mask) and rza is a lil bugged they not really really on some wild shit.

not that im even checking for fools rocking thonga thongs (certainly not africa bambaataa)

kool keith ...i can see him getting his michael henderson on..and not giving a fuccck.

hammers pumps n a bump video was some shit tho...or even guy rocking biker shorts looking all fragile.

but really...in comparison to other genres of music and considering the amount of rappers that have come and gone...thats like 5 bugged out cats (not even that bugged out) which is nothing.

hip hop got most people scared to be vulnerable and imo thats when it really starts to become art.

id love to see more heads use hip hop as the voice it should be, instead of what it has become.

im still waiting for the gay rappers to come out. that, im sure is a long ass list.

ill have to disagree w/ u.

For cats like Melle Mel,Ll Cool J,2-Pac,and Ramellezee who stretched the idea of what Black Creativity beyond Motown and Stax, after the Civil Rights Era, is a big accommplishment. For every R&B cat like Little Richard or Prince u had dudes who gained popularity for being "freaks" on the mic which expanded the posibilities.

De La Soul,NWA,OutKast,and whomever...changed the game.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Okay, I just watched it and am now wondering what the source of controversy is.

Were you dudes able to get past the thong and listen to the music?

That part seemed a lot more sad than outrageous. There was nothing bugged about it--just another hopelessly out of touch old dude clinging to what he has mistaken for the vestiges of a career.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

And Chan, fact of the matter is people are all on some shit about Baby Bam being flipped out based on a youtube video. It's a video. Who knows what the context is? I watched the video. To me it just seemed rather disjointed and appeared to be a misguided and heavy-handed attempt at being artistic that didn't succeed. But this dude was ALWAYS on some other shit. J.Beez With The Remedy anyone? So who the hell knows...

... and you know what? If this dude is really into acting freaky like that then hey that's his thing. I don't care for it, but I don't care about it and it's not hurting me none. And on top of that, if dude likes to have sexual relations with other dudes, that's his prerogative. Good for him for having the chance to be a happy dude being who he is and doing what his thing is. Again, that ain't my thing, but all I know is I'll be bumping "Beyond This World" like it ain't no thing until I'm an old ass man.

• pause?

• what was the deal with the "crazy wisdom masters"? Was that the just the jb's under a different name? That stuff was pretty wild.

• what was the deal with the "crazy wisdom masters"? Was that the just the jb's under a different name? That stuff was pretty wild.
    I think that may have just been leftovers of some old JBs stuff. I have that 10" hanging around somewhere. One of the tracks may have been on Jbeez wit the Remedy?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

That first beat is nice, and the third is pretty good as well. He's still got lyrics too. I could have done without that low-angle shot of his arse-crack in the second clip, mind you.

On the strength of this new "barking mad" persona, I am feeling the urge to cop his new shit. Beats the rusty F*ck out of all that "We're in the VIP" crap the JBs were doing a few years ago.

• Hahah oh shit. Okay I gotta run and pick up this Greek food I ordered for dinner...
    ... ayo?

ill have to disagree w/ u.

For cats like Melle Mel,Ll Cool J,2-Pac,and Ramellezee who stretched the idea of what Black Creativity beyond Motown and Stax, after the Civil Rights Era, is a big accommplishment. For every R&B cat like Little Richard or Prince u had dudes who gained popularity for being "freaks" on the mic which expanded the posibilities.

De La Soul,NWA,OutKast,and whomever...changed the game.

thats a short ass list considering the amount of rappers that have come and gone.

little richard r&b ? try rock n roll...1955 down south gay... and not giving a fuccccck.

tupac ????? cmon man...if anything try shock g...
    pac was the furthest from this...tupac was sweet, caught up in this image of being a gangster...and died doing so. dude went from acting school and brendas got a baby, to some ol bullshit thinkin he was in a real life juice on some l.a. gangs and couldnt be touched shit. which is what im getting at.
    follow his career.

gmf were not rocking thongs or make up...making you question their sexuality.

look at dre in the world class wreckin crew era...dude gets clowned all the time for that.

common catches hell over his choice of clothing.

de la ..while being some of the most creative ( millie pulled a pistol ) yet hardly theatrical or gender bending. just how many de la's does hip hop have ? for the most part its filled with gangster clones.

outkast...or do you mean andre 3k. big boi is the phife of that group. andre dresses a bit different than most others so you think that does it ?

sylvester, little richard, p funk, queen, kiss, village people, stones, chilli peppers, bowie, hendrix, luther, kiss, prince, the time, new york dolls, etc...the list goes on and on...just not in hip hop.

hip hop doesnt allow room for this kind of expression. in hip hop once people think for one minute you could be gay...its a wrap.

if what your saying rings true...why then has busta disassociated himself from jungle bros, for exactly what im talking about...where as pharrell embraces ? why are cats on youtube tripping out ?

trying to compare this phenom to other genres of music seems to far of a stretch for debate.

hip hop.... where you hear sayings like "pause".

i think within hip hop the boundaries have yet to be really pushed.

holla when you can give me a list of 10 openly gay, or at least making you question their sexuality that "change the game" to the point of being accepted for who and what you really want to be.

i wont hold my breath. ive yet to see one respected mc come out of the closet.

id like to see cornell west, bell hooks, and say paul mooney speak on this.