what blu rays are must haves?

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
besidesb, 21b, 21 Dark Knight and Planet Earth

Comments

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    2001.b, 21b, 21Layer Cake looks REALLY good in hi-def.b, 21b, 21Iron Man of course.b, 21b, 21And Rambo (the new one) was amazing to look at (exploding-bodies-related) but I don't know if you'd class it as a must-have.b, 21b, 21Also No Country For Old Men.

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Iron Man of course.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Iron Man on Blu-Ray looks BANANAS!!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Layer Cake
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Good movie.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    i got a buncha classics on a cost price hookup from a friend, enter the dragon, dog day afternoon, deliverance, bulitt, kill bill 1&2, the shining, starship troopers.. haven't really had a chance to watch all of em yet but starship troopers sure did look purdy.

• Biiiiizzzzzzzummmmp

any others?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't own a blu ray player, cause I grab HD rips. But I really felt like buying one the other day. Just because Amazon had a one day sale of Band of Brother's for $34.99.

Damn... I didn't jump on that...

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    While the movie itself has been clowned by many, Speed Racer is incredible in HD. It's psychedelic and the colors are mind blowing. The movie isn't perfect, but really the visuals more then make up for it and I think in 30 years it'll be a cult film. It's my favorite BluRay in terms of visuals.

Another I was impressed with was Blade Runner. That 5 disc set really looks great. The restoration or improved transfer etc... was done properly.

• Layer Cake

Good movie.

Ehhh movie.

But, I'm sick on the couch right now, watching The Limey, and THIS is a good movie.

• While the movie itself has been clowned by many, Speed Racer is incredible in HD. It's psychedelic and the colors are mind blowing. The movie isn't perfect, but really the visuals more then make up for it and I think in 30 years it'll be a cult film. It's my favorite BluRay in terms of visuals.

cool

• reskresk 391 Posts
    I don't own a blu ray player, cause I grab HD rips.

blu ray>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HD

I dont know how exactly to explain, i didnt think theyre was really a difference, i thought it was the same. I was mistaken, boy was i mistaken. I've had a blu ray player (ps3) for 2 plus years and just this month i finally rented a blu ray disc, wow man, i was blown away. Though i imagine the tv makes a difference (i have a 1080/120hz lcd)

believe the hype

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    While the movie itself has been clowned by many, Speed Racer is incredible in HD. It's psychedelic and the colors are mind blowing. The movie isn't perfect, but really the visuals more then make up for it and I think in 30 years it'll be a cult film. It's my favorite BluRay in terms of visuals.

cool

Speed Racer looks amazing on Blu-ray. It was the first one I saw and none have come close. HOWEVER, the dialog and acting is so cheesy it almost makes it not worth it.

I have heard really good things about the Godfather films, that the restoration they did with the film for the Blu-ray film was top notch. Haven't seen them yet though. I don't own any Blu-ray DVDs, just have the upgraded Netflix for an extra $1 per month.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

cool

Speed Racer looks amazing on Blu-ray. It was the first one I saw and none have come close. HOWEVER, the dialog and acting is so cheesy it almost makes it not worth it.

I have heard really good things about the Godfather films, that the restoration they did with the film for the Blu-ray film was top notch. Haven't seen them yet though. I don't own any Blu-ray DVDs, just have the upgraded Netflix for an extra $1 per month.

Sound like something id smoke to, turn down its audio,and create my own score.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I don't own a blu ray player, cause I grab HD rips.

blu ray>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HD

Not that I disagree. But a 1080p rip is petty damn decent. Watching a 1080p rip of Planet Earth on my 1080/120hz lcd is awesome.

Shit many people are happy with a good upconverting DVD player now.

Oh... and my pick of top must have Blu Rays is

Planet Earth narrated by David Attenborough (Don't get the one done by narrated by Sigourney Weaver)

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

cool

I think that's what the Wachowski Brothers were intending. For really little kids, acid casualties, and people lighting one up. Mute is the only way for the latter.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

cool

I think that's what the Wachowski Brothers were intending. For really little kids, acid casualties, and people lighting one up. Mute is the only way for the latter.

is it smooth or is it super quick edits that will F*ck my high up?

• Disney are starting to rerelease their old movies on Blu Ray now.
    Sleeping Beauty, made over 50 years ago looks incredible on Blu Ray, Pinocchio is due March with more to follow.

Couple more I got recently that look the shit, No Country for Old Men, Shoot Em Up, Hellboy 2, There Will Be Blood.

I havent got it on Blu Ray but I do have 2001: A Space Odyssey on HD DVD, probably my favourite Hi Def release to date

Peter Jackson needs to Lord of the Rings on Blu Ray asap

• The Fall

• It's an animated kids' movie but the best looking movie I've seen on Blu-Ray is The Wild