A donation in your name

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
Am I a horible human being for calling bullshit on such a gift? From now on, my gift to my friends will a donation to my daughter's college fund in their name.b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 or img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hi.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• i disagree 100%, but hey, that's me.b, 21b, 21At this point, I don't need more stuff. And, the stuff I do "NEED," is so stupidly specific that I'd rather just buy if for myself. b, 21b, 21"Hey, Mom... for Christmas, I want that new Tom Friedman Art Catalog, a Trinidadian Funk 45..."b, 21b, 21I mean, at this point, I'll just buy that shit for myself. It's easier, and frankly, feels less...crass/selfish?b, 21b, 21Honestly, the donation feels like a better gift at this point.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    alright I'm a dick....just checking

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21alright I'm a dick....just checking
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Doesn't make you a dick...Like I said, I like stuff, too.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Maybe it's who sent us the gift...that made me vent. Inlaws related

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Maybe it's who sent us the gift...that made me vent. Inlaws related
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That is true.b, 21b, 21The last couple years, one of the companies we hire for freelance work sent us hoodies and fleeces. They're nice outerwear for sure, and I wear them all the time.b, 21b, 21Then, last fall, their founder got in a car accident, was on death's door for a minute, and ended up in a rehab facility. So, on Wednesday, when I got an email saying that this year they were making a donation in all of our names to the rehab facility, I was genuinely moved... Moreso than I would have been to have received a hat or hoodie, for sure.b, 21b, 21So, there is my example on the positive side.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I think it's a great practice. If you want a present so badly, go buy yourself one.

• I just got back from a buddy's house whose aunt gave him a "bunch of chicks." Meaning she donated a flock of chickens to a Mexican family.