BLACK GOLD (classic Atlantic compilation, 1973)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I had this album as a kid! Later upgraded to a cleaner copy as an adult...even though this was marketed on TV, the sound is great and the selection can't be messed with! The only problem is that Ben E. King's "Don't Play That Song" fades out a verse too early, but apart from that...b, 21b, 21

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I think I have that floating around somewhere, have no recollection of track list or sound though.....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    If memory serves, Funky Nassau was on this.

• Sure is. "Soul Makossa," too. (The Manu Dibango original.)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21If memory serves, Funky Nassau was on this.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Early on in my digging adventures I remember finding that and whiling out a bit when I realised 'funky nassau' was on there.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Early on in my digging adventures I remember finding that and whiling out a bit when I realised 'funky nassau' was on there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I was always a little "meh" on this song (don't hate - both Alston LPs are very good in my opinion), but I loved the fact that the Munnings bros. were getting paid. From the number of copies I see around, that must have been one of Alston's biggest non-Wright/Reid hits.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21Early on in my digging adventures I remember finding that and whiling out a bit when I realised 'funky nassau' was on there.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 21I was always a little "meh" on this song (don't hate - both Alston LPs are very good in my opinion), but I loved the fact that the Munnings bros. were getting paid.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Sure hope so...I don't mean to signify, but I have read tales of how the TK folks weren't always forthcoming with royalties...there's a quote from an unnamed TK staff member in Wayne Jancik's i1The Billboard Book Of One-Hit Wonders[/i] about how the BOTE could have been bigger but (approx. quote) "problem was, they just didn't trust Americans."