Mac Question From A Dipshit...

cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
edited December 2008 in Strut Central
I was loading some CD's into Itunes and my magic mac box is telling me b, 21that my system folder is nearly full.b, 21What does that mean and how do I remedy the situation?b, 21Thanks in advance for any advice you could give.

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    You are running out of hard drive space?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21You are running out of hard drive space?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21So I should just delete anything I don't need?b, 21I need answers not more questions, thanks though.

Yes, basically if you want to find out how much hard drive space you have left on your computer, click on the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop. A window will open (as you probably know) and at the bottom of the window will show how much space you have available on your HD.b, 21b, 21So yes, delete things that you don't need. Or buy an External HD. b, 21b, 21What Mac are you running?

Now we getting somewhere....b, 21I've a got an iBook G4 that's about 3(?) years old.b, 21It says I've got 1.31 Gb available, seems like plenty to me.

Yeah, that should be enough. I've had my '04 Powerbook down to 500 MBs all the time (not good), but never got that message. Are you copying a DVDR that contains more GBs than that or a regular CDR? b, 21b, 21Maybe you just need to restart even though nothing is going wrong with your computer.

Thanks that helps.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You generally want to keep 10-15% of your hard drive space available because performance will start to suffer after that.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    [quoteb, 21It says I've got 1.31 Gb available, seems like plenty to me. b, 21b, 21h, 21font class="post"1b, 21definitely not plenty, you need to free up a whole lot of space on that, my friend had a 80Gb drive with around the same amount on it that is now toast because he thought the same thing

Deleted a bunch of random ish and now I have 6.2 Gb left!

• I got a 1 terabit external drive for $130 the day before last. If you have any dough handy, storage has gotten amazingly cheap.